Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride along in an Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005 | 02:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Default Ride along in an Audi R8

love this car. Talk about instant acceleration !

http://testudladry.free.fr/jcc_video...castellana.wmv
Old 11-23-2005 | 04:11 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this an R8 or a Radical? Great video!
Old 11-23-2005 | 04:21 PM
injuner
5th Gear

I have seen the video before and read that it was a Norma M20, 794 Lbs without engine, 1,334 lbs total. 3 liter BMW inline 6 cyl@400hp. It is still very cool.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/castellanaco...21Atelier1.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/castellanaco...re/M21Pau1.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/castellanaco...21Atelier3.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/castellanaco...21Atelier2.jpg
Old 11-23-2005 | 04:55 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

ohh, my mistake. Nice car though....hehe
Old 11-23-2005 | 11:26 PM
mrdraco
Advanced

Damn, looks like that thing was shot from a gun!
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:12 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Welcome to the fun world of sports racers. Nothing quite like phornographic power to weight AND lots of downforce. Sunday Driver had a nice post recently describing what they are like to drive. It was on the thread about driving an F1 car.
Old 11-24-2005 | 01:24 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow, that was fast! What a rush! even from the video! LOVED the sound too! You think my M3 can sound like this?
Old 11-24-2005 | 02:06 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

The car and speed was great. The lack of safety with spectators all over the place was appalling. When I race, I get the shivers every time I see a flagman venture on to the track to throw the chequered flag. Don't they realise this is not a game - this is racing and by its very nature it is dangerous. Why add more risk? It is ok for racers to risk their lives but it is totally unacceptable for spectators, officials to add to the danger. Remember Le Mans in '55?

Johan
Old 11-24-2005 | 04:08 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flat Top
The car and speed was great. The lack of safety with spectators all over the place was appalling. When I race, I get the shivers every time I see a flagman venture on to the track to throw the chequered flag. Don't they realise this is not a game - this is racing and by its very nature it is dangerous. Why add more risk? It is ok for racers to risk their lives but it is totally unacceptable for spectators, officials to add to the danger. Remember Le Mans in '55?

Johan
settle down jaapie

you are hyperventilating

R+C
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:10 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat Top

Johan
A little off the topic, but you should read "Against Death and Time" by Brock Yates. It focuses on racing in 1955 and what a horrific year that was. LeMans was a small part of the disaterous year in racing. GREAT BOOK.

Back on topic a bit more - the most thrilling thing for me about driving a sports racer with some aero are those corners at what I will call the 'magic speed'. T1 at Mid Ohio, Magic Mountain at Buttonwillow and others are examples. As you gain confidence in the car and you push harder, you feel the familiar approach of the limit. You are taking T1 at MO at 92 mph min corner speed and the car is sliding so you know you are getting close. You push it to 95 and the car is really on the edge. You just know if you try 97, it is gone. But you take it at 102, way past where you can logically go, and the car sticks. You are past the mechanical limit but the aero is working. The fact is that you may not be able to take it at 97 but you can take it faster.

Both faster and slower corners do not have this gap. It is amazing when you start to drive past the mechanical limits, even a tiny bit because your brain is screaming at you "You fool. You are going to die." YeeeHar
Old 11-24-2005 | 12:12 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Smokin video. Where was that run at? The roads look to nice to be in PA.
Old 11-24-2005 | 02:29 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Wow. And I thought Watkins was bad for little runoff area! This guy has to have a supreme level of confidence in his knowledge of the track and car!
Old 11-24-2005 | 03:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by renvagn
Smokin video. Where was that run at? The roads look to nice to be in PA.
It could be upstate PA. Nobody uses the roads up there, so they keep them well paved.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-24-2005 | 08:03 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know where this is? Looks like a hillclimb/rallie stage, but doesn't quite look like upstate PA. Could be, though.
Alan
Old 11-24-2005 | 09:33 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Look carefully at the scenery in the background, and the striping on the side of the road. This looks like Austria to me based on the big hills in background, and the people standing on the side of the road. Defineitly a hill climb in Europe.

On my honeymoon, I ran into a P-Car hillclimb in Austria on my way to an F1 race. The bar was at the top and the person with FTD gets to buy the beer!

Quick Reply: Ride along in an Audi R8