Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Events vs. Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you take this way more seriously then I do.

I have been doing track days for over 20 years. Why? Because they are fun. Sure, I want to inmprove my driving skills, but the main reason I run these kinds of events is because I like sports cars, and I get to drive them at high speeds on track days, which I can't do safetly on the public roads.

That's it, no big what's 'best' for me philosophy. It's simply a very enjoyable passtime.

Jim
Old 11-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul902
That's too bad.... At MCO we regularly get 8 runs and I know of one event where everybody got 15 runs! No waiting around to speak of. We have a really great auto timing system and usually can run two cars on the course at once.
Only two?

Seriously - typically, there are three cars on the course at our events at a given time, if we're using the Giants Stadium parking lot, which is like the size of Rhode Island! When we run at a smaller lot (PNC Bank Arts Center North overflow parking lot) it's down to 2 cars, maybe 3, if the starter is on top of his game.

-Z.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hodel
Some of you take this way more seriously then I do.

I have been doing track days for over 20 years. Why? Because they are fun. Sure, I want to inmprove my driving skills, but the main reason I run these kinds of events is because I like sports cars, and I get to drive them at high speeds on track days, which I can't do safetly on the public roads.

That's it, no big what's 'best' for me philosophy. It's simply a very enjoyable passtime.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I can see your point. I did a DE with the Alfa Club last year and it was a blast. However, DE lacks the element of competition and I like that visceral feel, so AutoX is always on my calendar.

They are two different disciplines and I think every one should give each a fair trial (2-3 events) and decide for themselves. I suspect many will be like me who like AutoX for the thirll and DE for the ability to drive in ay you can't on the highways.

Maybe I'll see you at PIR...

Quick Reply: Track Events vs. Autocross