Sponsored by:

"89" 951 AND MOMO HUB INSTAL

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:06 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "89" 951 AND MOMO HUB INSTAL

Hi, Now that the track season is over in the east, I would like to get my horn working.

Is anyone familiar with how the car's wiring is set up with MOMO' s race wheels?????? The car had 2 wires which were disconnected from the air bag ring and a third which I am guessing was a ground. The interesting part is the three wires are not thru the steering spline, so they would grind against the hub base if connected to the horn button. When I wire the hub wire to the horn button nothing happens. I have the horn contact plate, have checked the fuse and contacted MOMO, the horn supplier and Vision in CA, but still NO HORN

Does anyone have any idea's ?????????? Thanks.

ps. I am finally recovered from last weeks great VIR and final DE of the season, when is the first event for 06 I wonder what it would cost me (jewelry, trips ????) if I told my wife I was going to squeeze in ViR in DEC 3 & 4
Old 11-20-2005, 12:39 AM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Please do a search on my name "runnin' on empty" as I did a MOMO install earlier this year.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Hi Addict,
Am I missing it? I am not finding any info regarding wiring of the horn under your threads. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:21 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Here is the wiring post- https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28073
Old 11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Addict,
Thanks for the site. Did your car have the watch ring at the base of the hub with wires going into it (both circumferential stripes) and a third with longitudinal stripes which is a ground?

The MOMO adaptor for the 89 turbo had a brass ring contact point behind it. I had to purchase the L shaped brass contact point which has a brass post which slides into the steering plate. I would have thought the 2 wires from the air bag could be left alone and the ground wire attached to the L shaped brass contact. ( does this need to be soldered or is there a contact behind the steering plate when it is plugged in?)Then I could just attache the black wire inside the hub to the horn button
Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Yes, my car had the air bag 'clock spring' part at the base of the hub which I removed to install the MOMO adapter. The two wires from the 'clock spring' I just snipped and taped/ticked inside steering column dash area.

You are correct the other wire you need a female contact that fits the brass pin that sticks out the back of the L shaped horn ring contact. The brass pin goes thru the steering plate and gets inserted into hole number 71 (IIRC) on the multi-pin connector at the back of the steering plate. You pinch and solder the female connector onto the ground wire and push said connector into the multi-pin connector and then push the multi-pin connector back into place; making the contact to the brass pin.

Then one of the wires from the MOMO horn gets connected to the brass contact ring and the other gets connected to the ground on the MOMO hub adapter. Also, please review the following post: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/192802-how-to-wire-the-airbag-to-get-rid-of-the-light.html

Last edited by runnin' on empty; 11-21-2005 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add additional text...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Hi Addict,

From looking at all the threads on this issue, I am not the only electrician whose skills stop at screwing in a light bulb.

Can you tell me what wire gets connectied to the brass pin. There is brown, blue with circumfrential strips and a brown with longitudianl strips( think this is a ground). Where does the ground wire attache to the L shaped horn ring contact? Sounds like I have to take the steering plate off to get to Hole 71. Do i have to splice a ground to the L shaped contact and then run it to the horn button and a hot wire to the male end of the tin ring which is between the wheel and hub. Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 AM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

The largest diameter/gauge/size wire is the one that gets connected to the brass pin; it is larger in size than the other two wires to the naked eye. I remember that it is brown, stripes I am uncertain.

You attach said wire to a female wire socket that the brass pin fits tightly into. You should be able to get a socket at an electronics store (i.e. Radio Shack) or you can make one, but it's easier to buy one.

Once you have the wire attached to the female socket, take the multi-pin connector off the back of the steering plate, and push the female connector into the hole #71 into the multi-pin connector. Then, put the multi-pin connector back on the back of the steering plate and push the L shaped horn contact into postition on the front of the steering plate; it fits into the =O= hole at the one o' clock position in relation to the steering shaft. This will put the brass pin into the female connector in hole #71 ( I know I should be writing **** novels) :^)

Yes, you do have to take the steering plate off; it is easy just loosen the bolt and it slides up the steering shaft. On my car, I had to have the steering plate all the way towards the dash to ensure that I have contact between the MOMO hub circular horn contact and the L shaped contact, without compressing the L shaped copper contact too much; causing it to either bind or wear out prematurely.

There is no ground to the L shaped contact, it is the 'hot' wire; the ground is inside the MOMO hub, so no splice necessary. Hope this helps-runnin' on empty

Quick Reply: "89" 951 AND MOMO HUB INSTAL