Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do, call it quits or fight against reason?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would you do, call it quits or fight against reason?

I just found out that my suspicions about my 944 were true: The #2 rod bearing went bigtime and damaged the crank. The car wasn't knocking when cold, and I was hoping that I could swap out the rod bearing and join NNJR at VIR with the '44. I don't think there is enough time to swap in a different engine, so this was my last hope. Since the damage was worse than I thought, I now have a choice: Call it quits for the season or take the 996 to VIR.

I am really torn about whether to take the 996 to VIR. On the one hand, I am sure it would be a blast. It would certainly be much easier to get back down there, and VIR is a great track for 996s. I also would be interested to see how I am driving the 996 now that I have been driving the 944 for awhile.

On the other hand, I am a little concerned about taking the 996 back on the track. Specifically, I have a hunch that I am driving much faster now that I have been driving the 944 (no way to verify since I haven't taken the 996 back to the track since I started driving the 944). I have also become spoiled by driving in a car that has a full cage, fire supression system, race seats, 6-point harnesses and an ISAAC H&N device. My 996 Targa has no roll bar, stock seats, stock seat belts and I obviously can't use my ISAAC. It does have a fire extinguisher

My heart says take the 996 and have a blast. Life is too short to miss a single day on the track. Try to dial it back a little, and have a good time.

My head says stop being an idiot. You have had over 30 track days this last year, you bought a track car, and this was your first year involved in this sport. Count your blessings and get ready for a nice winter project of rebuilding your motor.

What do you think?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Take the 996 and have fun, just don't go crazy. I've played this one out in my head as well, and if my track car is ever out of service, I will definately put my 968 daily driver on the track (especially if I'm already signed up and paid for). Of course, there is a small price difference between the 968 and 996
Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 AM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is obviously a decision that only you can make and depends a great deal on your approach to DE. I have read many of your posts on these boards and you appear to be a very level headed guy.

Part of DE, at least for me, is the social experience. I think that you could certainly attend and have a great and safe time at the event.

However, if you are going to take the car out and try to set a land speed record, you should probably call it quits for the season. I don't see you as this type of driver though.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on down and have a great time! I also believe you will drive appropriately for the car, etc.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC

My heart says take the 996 and have a blast. Life is too short to miss a single day on the track. Try to dial it back a little, and have a good time.

My head says stop being an idiot. You have had over 30 track days this last year, you bought a track car, and this was your first year involved in this sport. Count your blessings and get ready for a nice winter project of rebuilding your motor.

What do you think?
You argued a strong case each way.

But I think in the important decisions in life, go with your heart. But as you say, dial it back a little.

Sorry about the motor TD. But here's a chance to optimize it, within the rules of course, for racing.

Do you have the baffle kit in the sump?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree you only have to answer for yourself.

Con: You probably won't crash the car or blow the motor, but you can get stone chips, etc, so you have to be able to accept that. Also you will wear tires brakes etc... not a biggie, but $$$ none the less.

Pro: Hang with your buds and have fun. Drive at a fast street pace and find out what the car will really do... you'll never get a change to open a 996 up on public roads.

You don't have to drive like god's own demon or go out on every session to have fun....
Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a real bummer about your #2 taking a #2.

I say take the 996. I would just dial it back to where you feel comfortable. I have a feeling you are not pushing your 944 to a level of exceptional danger and that you wouldn't do the same with your 996. I bet the comparison would be fun and educational too.

BTW, when you get to the point of rebuilding the 944 motor, definitely talk to the guys around here on the racing board that have 944 motors. There is much knowledge on how to increase the reliability within the rules. You will probably want to maintain rule adherence to keep value in the car even if you aren't racing.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the 996, and take it easy.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BobbyC's Law...A rational mind will always choose the path that gives either the greatest amount of pleasure, or the least amount of pain. Let the head prevail over the heart
Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Miss a track weekend?

I wouldn't be able to live with myself...

I'd have to show up with something.... and a 996 is definitely a nice something....

Brian
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is pretty funny. Of course, what can I expect. I just showed up at an AA meeting with bottles of gin and vermouth and asked whether I should make myself a martini

I'm leaning towards going. I could slap the PF brake pads back on and be ready to go. I have brand new S03s on the car, and I am hestitant to use those since I went through 3 sets in one year while tracking the 996. My other set of rims is at the tire shop with winters installed. I am tempted to call and have them slap on a set of r-compounds, and then I can swap them out after the season is over for good.

I hope someone will be willing to help me drown my engine sorrows away once down there. I hear the Lodge has a nice little bar open now.

Also, thanks for the kind comments. I haven't had an off track excursion in the Targa, and I don't plan to change that now.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

[QUOTE=TD in DCI hope someone will be willing to help me drown my engine sorrows away once down there. I hear the Lodge has a nice little bar open now.
QUOTE]

Now you're talking , I'm still trying to get over the fact that my 924S isn't nearly as pretty as she was before the wall
Old 11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TD,
People are fond of saying there are no dumb questions. This, my friend, was a dumb question. Of course you take the 996.

Are you sure the wheels and tires from your 944 won't fit your 996? I once borrowed a set of 944 wheels/tires at a race and they worked fine. (I totaled my car that day and broke all four of his wheels but that's another story. )
Jim
Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent. I will be at the Lodge, as will a number of friends. We have some considerable experience with helping others drown their sorrows. A friend and I started working on a menu for Happy Hour. So far we have Beer, Wine, Scotch, fine cheeses, crackers and cigars. Once we realized that we had covered all of the basic food groups, we quit.

See you there.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd,

My answer is: don't let the car stop you. You are a smart guy. If you really want to go out for another track day, do it. Just dial it back and be comfortable behind the wheel. There is no need to hang everything out at a DE. OTOH you don't have to go just because there is an event. Sometimes an unexpected weekend at home is just as rewarding or more so.

Remember, either decision should be low stress. This is just for fun, right?

Quick Reply: What would you do, call it quits or fight against reason?