Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do, call it quits or fight against reason?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 05:11 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Unless I am mistaken, even though PSM kicks in occaisionally when it's turned off, as soon as the event is over the PSM turns back off.

There is no doubt that PSM is not wanted in a track car but it isn't quite the hinderence that most people think it is.

For the understeer issue, the easy first thing to try is air pressures.
Old 11-04-2005 | 08:29 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mitch236
Unless I am mistaken, even though PSM kicks in occaisionally when it's turned off, as soon as the event is over the PSM turns back off..

There is no doubt that PSM is not wanted in a track car but it isn't quite the hinderence that most people think it is.
Yes, exactly, Todd try my simple test. Drive slowly at low throttle (PSM off), and drag the brake a little. The throttle will totally disengage.

You can't hit the brake and the gas at the same time, therefore, you can't left foot brake.

Originally Posted by mitch236
For the understeer issue, the easy first thing to try is air pressures.
Tire pressures are easy to change, but in this case (specifically a 993/996 car) then won't get rid of the problem. Its just a simple fact of not enough front grip vs rear grip. Changing the tire pressures to change the balance of the car is another thing that people commonly do, but in many/most cases, you are again fixing the end that isn't broken.

To clarify, there is an ideal tire pressure that will give the maximum (average) amount of grip. If you go higher than that, or lower than that, you will reduce the amount of grip because you no longer have an "ideal" contact patch. If your car understeers, and you reduce the rear grip by changing the tire pressure, it might be more neutral, but if it was the front tires that were really causing the understeer, then you have given up grip!

For DE, it probably makes no difference, unless like me, you obsess over this stuff For racing this stuff is crucial.

Race tracks are like boat yards. There are many things that people do without really thinking them through because its "common" knowledge.
Old 11-04-2005 | 08:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

For DE, it probably makes no difference, unless like me, you obsess over this stuff For racing this stuff is crucial.

Race tracks are like boat yards. There are many things that people do without really thinking them through because its "common" knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Boats are like racetracks? Do you think Kam could explain this one to me or will it require a new thread??? Hey your tire temp prob makes a good toothpick.
Old 11-04-2005 | 08:36 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Also, I assume what you mean is that trailbraking is fine so long as you keep rotation down to below 7 degrees of slip, which under most circumstances you shouldn't be doing anyway. Is that what you meant?
Yes.
Old 11-04-2005 | 10:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darren
Yes.
Thanks. I haven't played around with trailbraking enough in the 996 to know how much I can get away with.

For the record, I think PSM is a very useful tool for beginning and intermediate drivers. I only think it might become an issue for advanced-intermediate to advanced drivers. I am glad my car has it (especially since my track car doesn't )

Quick Reply: What would you do, call it quits or fight against reason?