Sponsored by:

Hahns-like devices and DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I can guarantee you the first time I put on a HANS device and drove on the track I did not think that I was invincible, I doubt your "student" had a different mindset either.
That's the way I feel. I have 6 points for both seats and I wear a Hans. I find that the possibility of smashing my 149K vehicle in the wall, a primary motivator for avoiding the "invincibility factor"...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Is he a retailer/supplier of the Hans device?...........
Does anyone here know why there are no R3s or Hutchens or any other H&Ns in NASCAR? Or F1? Or CART? Or IndyCar? Or TransAm? Or ALMS? Or GrandAm? Or SCCA?

Does anyone know why NASCAR finally outlawed all H&Ns except for the HANS?

I do.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Me too. Marketing dollars! And in some cases, availability when the regs were written.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

The only place I have seen R3's is in NHRA....mostly Funny car... Top fuelers seem to be mostly using hans from what I have seen.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Me too. Marketing dollars! And in some cases, availability when the regs were written.
ROFLMAO! And you know this to be true how?

And there were 4 different H&Ns in use when NASCAR started mandating them. Now its only one. I am sure Dr. Hubbard pays NASCAR for the priveledge. LOL!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dirt Track Racer
ROFLMAO! And you know this to be true how?

And there were 4 different H&Ns in use when NASCAR started mandating them. Now its only one. I am sure Dr. Hubbard pays NASCAR for the priveledge. LOL!
So, we both have each other ROFLMAO. Oh Keeper Of The Truth, you know this to be untrue how?

Dr. Hubbard doesn't pay anyone "for the priveledge". He is a smart man...he has a Marketing VP!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the point some are trying to get across is not whether the R3 is as effective as the HANS device, but rather R3 being a safer alternative to not wearing anything at all.....
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eli K
I think the point some are trying to get across is not whether the R3 is as effective as the HANS device, but rather R3 being a safer alternative to not wearing anything at all.....
Exactly! Particularly when you are riding in 10-20 different cars each season, which I don't think the godd Doc considered because it wasn't his objective.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Now you're channeling the Isaac guy.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

So, we both have each other ROFLMAO. Oh Keeper Of The Truth, you know this to be untrue how?
Because unlike you, I actually know about the racing industry and know most players in it.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Because unlike you, I actually know about the racing industry and know most players in it.
Really? Tell me more about myself, since you seem to think you know me, my history, my current activities and my businesses.

If you can be so wrong about me, one wonders what else you are blowing smoke about? Anyway, enjoy your truths!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased an R3 this year due to several fatalities that were too close to home in one way or another. I have tracked since 1985 with a varied history of vehicles and I instruct newbies that I personally introduce and bring to the track from time to time. As a structural engineer, I looked at the three competing restraints, the Hans, the R3 and the Isaac. I chose the R3 for my own beliefs of superiority as a result of my own analyses of force resolution. But I will not bore you with the that.

Besides the foregoing, since I instruct sometimes, with some students having cars with 5/6 pt harnesses and some with only the factory 3 pt, I wanted the benefit of the H&N restraint regardless of the harness type. That immediately eliminated two devices.

I do not subscribe to the theory that those with H&N restraints drive beyond their limits or in a riskier manner than those without. I think the choice to include the safety device is one of mortality, family, fear, responsibility, etc.

The point was raised as to whether a passenger should possess a similar restraint if the driver is wearing one. Well, it certainly is an interesting question. I don't know if I can answer it. The costs are in many cases prohibitive. I will ask a question though.......for ponderance by all.........

If you were the driver of a car where you were wearing a H&N restraint and your passenger was not, and you had a mishap, causing the death of your passenger while you survive due to the presence of your H&N restraint, how would you feel?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KPV
If you were the driver of a car where you were wearing a H&N restraint and your passenger was not, and you had a mishap, causing the death of your passenger while you survive due to the presence of your H&N restraint, how would you feel?
Impossible question to answer accurately. If a passenger were to die while you were driving, you undoubtedly would feel horrible. I can't imagine that you would feel "worse" due to a personal choice of the passenger not to use an R3 (or any other properly installed H&N device). Put conversely, I can't imagine you would feel any "better" if a passenger died while you were driving despite his or her use of an R3 (or any other properly installed H&N device). From an emotional standpoint, you might assign blame to yourself due to the lack of an H&N device, but I doubt you would in fact feel any "worse" on the whole.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone here know why there are no R3s or Hutchens or any other H&Ns in NASCAR? Or F1? Or CART? Or IndyCar? Or TransAm? Or ALMS? Or GrandAm? Or SCCA?

Does anyone know why NASCAR finally outlawed all H&Ns except for the HANS?

I do.
Please share your information.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KPV

EXACTLY the same way I would feel if the passenger were wearing a H&N device and died!

Quick Reply: Hahns-like devices and DE