Sponsored by:

Rules and your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:36 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
... I read the recent thread about fire safety equipment in DEs, and several individuals suggested wearing full suits at those events. It seems a reasonable position, but it seems to be not well supported by most attendees. At our events maybe one of fifty wears a suit. Even individuals who race, and own the gear tend to not use it in DE events. I'm curious why, and ...
Just an example of the rational that may be in place for some of us who are not enthusiastic about mandating suits (or roll bars either - per JH other example):

What hazard is the suit intended to mitigate? What is the frequency of the occurance of the hazard? Is there a history to demonstrate the frequency and/or severity of the hazard? If the suit were in place what hazards, if any, would increase?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think anyone modifying their late model street car should think hard about the engineering that already went into the car they have. New(er) cars may have smart air bags side impact air bags in the seat, seat belt tensioners etc.. that may well be safer than a cobbled together system of our own making. Certainly a roll bar has its place in a safety system that probably includes seats, harnesses, helmets, hans etc. Without all the pieces a roll bar may well be less safe. If your stock seats have air bags then you may not want to replace them with racing shells for a safety alone. THey may end up being less safe depends on how you drive. Not sliding in the seat may be safer but when hitting a wall broadside maybe not.

Choose wisely.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
IEven individuals who race, and own the gear tend to not use it in DE events. I'm curious why...
I normally wear my driving suit at DE events, but on occasions this year I did not. Why? Because the suit is f-ing hot. In the dead of summer, I really need my cool shirt sytem to make wearing a driving suit bearable. So the 2 times I didn't wear my driving suit was because I forgot to bring my cooler with ice. Being alert, comfy and cool is also a critical part of the safety equation IMHO.

Quick Reply: Rules and your opinions