Sponsored by:

Markus Blaszak A-Arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Markus Blaszak A-Arms

I am no longer just a viewer, so here is my first post. Could someone who has or is using Markus's A-Arms on a late model 944 (I have a S2) give me some feedback please? Can I use my spherical bearing (Elephant Racing or Racer's Edge, I forget) with these arms? Has anyone fabricated the Caster Block that is required for correct geometry or should I buy it from him? The ball-joint looks very strange in the picture I have seen. Do I need to make any modifications to make it fit.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nader

I was looking at his A arms about a year and a half ago, someone from NY (I think) emailed me and said he was very happy with them It turns out I can't use them, because the SCCA (Where I race) won't let me. So I didn't get them. The person that emailed me said they work well and are very strong, and he got the whole thing from Markus caster block and all. I agree they look wierd, but from what I have heard they are good and reasonably priced. Hope someone with first hand experience answers you.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 546 Posts

Does he still make them out of ERW tubing?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nader,
Marcus makes a great product. His arms are used by many NE guys.
You may already have the specs adn the pics, but if not ...http://www.blaszakprecision.com/Control_Arms.html

Does this mean you are getting your car ready for 944CUp next season???
Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

I have a set installed on my Turbo. The limited amount of laps I have, they felt very good.

You cannot use the Elephant racing or Racers Edge block, you could build your own block if you had one to copy from I'm sure, it's a pretty simple block of aluminum to cut. I bought mine from Markus.

Give him a call, he is a great guy to talk to. Unfortunately every time I talk to him I start spending more money though!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks All,

I guess I should find out whether they are allowed in PCA Stock class before I decide. I know PCA allows other aftermarket Arms. Does SCCA exclude all aftermarket A-Arms or is this a Class Rule (ITS)? My S2 is ITE which I understand is short for "It Takes Everything that fits nowhere else."

Tony, Do you think that that the Cup drivers can handle another backmarker Dorkie in SC on Hoosiers? The plan is to be ready for at least a few races. Since the idea has always been to build the car to the F stock rules, I will continue on that track. What's a couple of hundred pounds to a rookie?

I need to find out from DD whether I need to hide all evidence of having played tag with the Armco with my car before I can run. The dents are cosmetic and I have removed some of the "blue." I rather put money other places than bodywork. I have heard that I have to fix the body before I am allowed to run PCA. I think the car is pretty much ready for a Rookie run. More suspension work (i.e. coilovers) will eventually be needed, but the double/triple extrnally adjustable Motons just have to wait until I finish a Ph.D in Physics and Engineering at MIT!!

I will probably be asking a lot of questions about how to get the most out of my Konis.

Nader
Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

The A Arms from Markus come with a pdf format letter from Lance Weeks, Technical and Rules Chair, authorizing the use of Blaszak arms for stock class PCA racing. Dated June 6, 2003

You must however keep the suspension geometry at factory specifications when installing
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nader,
I ran these arms on my 951 dedicated track car for about 2 yrs. (recently sold car) They are very durable and worked as advertised. They are on the heavy side. You can make your own castor blocks. I did with measurments from Marcus. I was one of the first people to use these arms and he did not have castor blocks available when I got my set. Highly recommend them (arms) The only thing that seemed to effect the finish was brake fluid, so you will want to take care when bleeding brakes. I also ended up moving the swaybar mount inside the triangle rather than the tab that was welded onto the outside. It worked fine outside with MO30 bars but when I switched to Welts, the angle of the drop links was funky and lined up nice and straight when we welded a tab inside the triangle.
Kevin
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 PM
ryoji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off topic ---

I need to find out from DD whether I need to hide all evidence of having played tag with the Armco with my car before I can run. The dents are cosmetic and I have removed some of the "blue."
DD let me ran without any fixing of mine, but I noticed his was fixed for the last race. But I think it is CC's rather DD's. The NASA which the Cup is under states:

18.1.3 Car Condition
All competition vehicles must be in good condition. Excessive body damage, primered body panels, etc., will not be allowed. The vehicle’s mechanical condition must always meet the safety requirements and may not pose a hazard. The vehicle may be inspected for safety violations at anytime while at the race facility. The competition vehicles must meet the “50/50” rule that means they must look undamaged and straight at fifty (50) mph from fifty (50) feet. Some latitude will be given to those that have damaged their vehicles during the event and have made a reasonable effort at compliance with this rule. The competitor is expected to have the vehicle in compliance by the following event. In some classes, thirty (30) days will be given for crash repairs. Crash damage that did not happen at a NASA event, does not warrant any latitude or a time period for repairs. Only the Race Director, Executive Director, or the race promoter may grant exceptions to this rule.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:59 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I should find out whether they are allowed in PCA Stock class before I decide. I know PCA allows other aftermarket Arms. Does SCCA exclude all aftermarket A-Arms or is this a Class Rule (ITS)? My S2 is ITE which I understand is short for "It Takes Everything that fits nowhere else."
>> You need someone like Geo, who has SCCA CCRs encoded in his genome. I suspect they would be fine in ITE, but definitely not in ITS.

Tony, Do you think that that the Cup drivers can handle another backmarker Dorkie in SC on Hoosiers? The plan is to be ready for at least a few races. Since the idea has always been to build the car to the F stock rules, I will continue on that track. What's a couple of hundred pounds to a rookie?
>> You would be welcomed in the SC pack. Sticking with F Stock rules is a good idea.

I need to find out from DD whether I need to hide all evidence of having played tag with the Armco with my car before I can run. The dents are cosmetic and I have removed some of the "blue." I rather put money other places than bodywork. I have heard that I have to fix the body before I am allowed to run PCA.
>> It really depends on the extend of the body damage. The key here is that your car will need a full NASA tech inspection in order to be issued a log book. This is [generally] a tougher standard than a race day tech with an existing log book. Have a talk to DD - he has a very economical body guy.

I think the car is pretty much ready for a Rookie run. More suspension work (i.e. coilovers) will eventually be needed, but the double/triple extrnally adjustable Motons just have to wait until I finish a Ph.D in Physics and Engineering at MIT!! I will probably be asking a lot of questions about how to get the most out of my Konis.
>> Think about signing up for the NASA Super Comp School at VIR in February. Its the best way to get your NASA license. Don't worry about suspension upgrades for the moment. Most SC cars run coilovers with fairly stiff springing. There will be a couple of new starters in 2006 with expensive Leda/Moton setups, but not yet with lap times to match.

I did my EECS masters at the same school. I feel your pain

Quick Reply: Markus Blaszak A-Arms