Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Best airport to fly into for Laguna Seca

Could anyone recommend the best airport to fly into for Laguna Seca? I know there is San Jose, San Fransisco, LAX and Monterey closeby.
Also, any recommendations for accomodations would be appreciated as well.

My wife is sending me off for 3 days of Skippy school.....I love that woman.

I'm thinking sometime in March, so I can be driving Laguna Seca instead of asking the CVR registrar if it's OK to change my car entry from the Cup car to the Cayenne (since the track was under 8" of snow this past March).

TIA,
Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAX is far away....several hours.

San Fran is about 2 hrs I think

San Jose is 1.5 hrs.

Monterrey airport is 15 minutes but it's more of a regional airport and flights are limited...but check it out for sure.

I have been through San Jose myself to get to Laguna.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Lewis

My wife gave me the Skippy school at Laguna six years ago. You're going to enjoy it.

She says it's the biggest mistake she made in her life. (But this monster is her creation, she now has to live with it)

San Jose offered cheap flights and is an easy drive over the coast range and down to Monterrey.

I found limited options to Monterrey airport, and SFI is a pretty long drive.

Flying from the east coast may force you to use SFI.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

For me San Jose was the best bet. About the same price as a flight into SFO, but a lot less congestion. Go to www.sjc.org and take a look at the airlines that fly into SJC.

I used priceline for a hotel - ended up at the Hyatt Regency in Monterey for $45.00 a night! (Not a race weekend, and I went in October).
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about your departure point, but from Newark/New York, the flights into San Jose are plentiful. I used to do that trip monthly and get to LS regularly. Continental has the most flights from here to San Jose. United is the San Fran carrier. You can either do the scenic route by driving over the coastal range to Santa Cruz, then down the coast to Monterey, etc., or take Route 101 south and then over to Monterey.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monterrey is the best place to fly into, but I doubt you will get a good price. Most flights are commuter to SFO or LAX from Monterrey.

The drive from San Jose (SJC) is relatively painless and much better than the drive from SFO. You can usually find good rental car deals out of SJC too. Oh and since it is so much smaller than SFO it will take you about 30 minutes from touchdown to starting up your rental car vs. 90 minutes at SFO.

You will have many options for hotels. You can stay in Monterrey for cheap. Carmel for a bit more if you want better dining options and a walk on the beach. Or Carmel Valley if you want a spa.

I would suggest checking to make sure there isn't a golf tournament at Pebble (or one of the surrounding courses) that weekend as that can draw lots of people. Some of the biggest events are the large amateur events because they use a number of the courses. The local hotels should give you a heads up. It might help you pick a weekend.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a couple of hours to spare, most definitely drive from SJC south on 17 to Santa Cruz, then down the coast to Monterrey. Everyone should do this drive at least once. It is spectacular!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...some of yous guys are sending him down to Mexico (Monterrey)....

I vote for SJC...Monterey airport is expensive to fly into and you can only get direct flights from a limited number of cities. SJC is closer than those others.

Let me know when you come into town and I'll try to stop by and say hello.

My friends usually stay at the Embassy Suites or the Double Tree but they're pricey depending on time of year.

The Hyatt is a good choice too.

I would not stay in Salinas or Seaside.

Quick Reply: Best airport to fly into for Laguna Seca