Sponsored by:

Halon or AFFF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:43 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halon or AFFF?

I'm planning to install a fire system, but want to make an intelligent decision about AFFF versus Halon. From what I understand, AFFF is used in the Porsche Cup Cars, but that could be because Halon is considered environmentally damaging and Porsche avoids its use as a corporate matter.

If I ever have to pull the trigger on the fire system, first I want to be able to get out of the car with me not burning.

Second, I'd rather not ruin the engine by sucking in AFFF while it's still running. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:39 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

halon: expensive to recharge, absolutely awesome fire stopage, does not work well in winds, better in tin-tops, does not aid to prevent reignition, no flop tube delivery problems? ,no mess, toxic to breath if stuck in the car.

AFF: Several variants of AFFF like the new hot amimal..."fireaid 2000" claimed to be really good, some systems can be home recharged, several delivery systems I.E. "FireCharger",winds don't really matter, huge clean-up mess, corrosive to some interior stuff, it is water based not good for electronics, helps prevent reignition, history of some flop tube failures so that cars buring upside down the system did not work i.e. rumored with OMP flop tube hardened with age result like spraying a can of paint upside down. A few years ago OMP systems were quietly off the market for a time.

If you go AFFF Diest makes some very cool spray heads that are multidirectional in one head. I have a Safecraft AFFF system (they do lots of planes) and their heads are one direction 360 degree sprinkler like fan. Also I would use stainless steel lines. Most kits are aluminium lines they get damaged more easily from just working in and around them with tools or collapsing a tube by accident. I would think but do not know if SS holds up better in a fire than Aluminium.

These are some of the things I remember. Please check what post...my brain is old.

Quick Reply: Halon or AFFF?