Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winning a stock class in a stock car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 02:36 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Winning a stock class in a stock car?

I would like to get feedback on this. Does anyone think there is a way to win a stock class by only putting the safety equipement into a car? Safety equipment being cage, fire, seat, harnesses, seatback brace, tires, brake pads, etc.

No other mods.

Just curious?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Outside of running in J or K and being the only car at the event (win by default), and if you do not include the factory cup cars (E-class S2 Club Sports, D-class Turbo Cups and Carrera Cups - but I also know that some of these cars have swapped out the original race suspension for something stiffer), I will say no. Not possible to win a stock class with factory stock suspension.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:16 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would have added shocks and springs, I would say a definite yes.

I don't see how how anyone could enjoy or do well racing the newer cars at US ride height. Now with the torsion bar cars, I think you would have better luck.

So, then based on your exact mods, I would say no.

George
Old 09-16-2005, 03:25 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
If you would have added shocks and springs, I would say a definite yes.

I don't see how how anyone could enjoy or do well racing the newer cars at US ride height. Now with the torsion bar cars, I think you would have better luck.

So, then based on your exact mods, I would say no.

George
I dunno about the torsion bar cars either. A buddy of mine has the same car I do (1987 Targa) except his is bone stock and mine is, well, not. Just the suspension changes alone make it a different car. You just wouldn't have the cornering speed to keep up.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sjanes
I dunno about the torsion bar cars either. A buddy of mine has the same car I do (1987 Targa) except his is bone stock and mine is, well, not. Just the suspension changes alone make it a different car. You just wouldn't have the cornering speed to keep up.
I agree, to some extent. My only rationale is that you can at least lower it (which also lowers the center of gravity), unlike the coil spring cars.

I don't really mean to change the subject to torsion versus coil spring car. Sorry.

George
Old 09-16-2005, 03:39 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

You think that stiffening the suspension would be competitive with people that are changing exhausts, wheels, changing weight around etc.?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Where in PCA? with the stock suspension? Maybe a Schumi type of driver... I wish I had that kind of talent
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
James Achard
Pro

No way. Now, if you made it a requirement that all stock cars had to be steet legal, registered and driven to and from the track, that would even out the playing field a bunch....
Old 09-16-2005, 04:38 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
You think that stiffening the suspension would be competitive with people that are changing exhausts, wheels, changing weight around etc.?
Not really... especially when engines are "rebuilt" freely, seeing a D "stock" certain 993 pulling me on a straight like an RSR does, makes moderately stock cars even non competitive.
Until PCA starts using mandatory dynos on independant basis to catch the cheaters I'm afraid comparison between cars, drivers, skill etc is meanignless I'm afraid.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:44 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
Not really... especially when engines are "rebuilt" freely, seeing a D "stock" certain 993 pulling me on a straight like an RSR does, makes moderately stock cars even non competitive.
My point exactly. I wanted feedback, becuase I wondered if you could take a car from the showroom and based on the club racing rules do well. I think this issue is what needs to be addressed when the rule committees are meeting.

I guess if you can't see it, you can't get in trouble for it......
Old 09-16-2005, 04:45 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
I agree, to some extent. My only rationale is that you can at least lower it (which also lowers the center of gravity), unlike the coil spring cars.

I don't really mean to change the subject to torsion versus coil spring car. Sorry.

George
Oh, I didn't mean suspension changes related to torsion vs. coil springs. The torsion suspension on my car is modified (bigger bars, new shocks, monoballs, sways, etc) vs the stock torsion bar suspension on my buddies car.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Maybe, I think it's something that could be overcome. BTW, I won in D at my first CR this summer in what is basically a stock 993 with suspension (TRG non adjustable Bilsteins/springs/shocks). It is a street legal car (tag and inspection). I even carry insurance on it. So yes, it can be done.

BTW, I also got all except one C cars. You are talking about ring and pinion mods, big brakes, exhaust, etc.

George
Old 09-16-2005, 05:00 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George,

One "C" car probably would have caught you if not for brake issues . I'll see you at Hallett.

Paul
Old 09-16-2005, 05:07 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993RSCS
George,

One "C" car probably would have caught you if not for brake issues . I'll see you at Hallett.

Paul
Oh yeah, let's get it on. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I guess I can't talk smack until then.

George
Old 09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it is possible except for an empty class.

Hey even my 944 that has no chance in GT4S has won 4 times and never come in lower than second in class.

However I think I have run against 3 or 4 other proper GT4S cars during that time.

Quick Reply: Winning a stock class in a stock car?