Sponsored by:

DE Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 04:40 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by renvagn
Mark,
For a dedicated track car or one which will be lowered or see lots of track use, you'll want to upgrade the control arms.
As far as brakes, these cars are heavy compared to the older 911's which seem to scamper around and have nice tight turn in. We have to contend with inherent push and a wider cornering arc. Engine wise look to Lindsey for waste gate upgrade, 3 bar fuel regulator, either a boost enhancer or boost controller, 3" exhaust and get it dyno with the chips remaped. It will be a much better car with less lag around town and at the track. As far as the power steering resevoir and tubing parts that can be fixed. Also don't use any rotors other than stock 9sun set porsche in OR) or Brembo cross drilled ($$$$$) which you will not probably require.
Mark
for sure, read more post less!
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:32 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Z-man,
I simply stated another rotor option for Mark. Braking task is relative to the liter/older 911's. The case being if he wants the trick look and feels he needs the benefits of cross drilled, the Brembo are manufactured with the holes during the casting process and not drilled after, which would weaken the metal. When I replaced my front rotors I went with the original Porsche part. And yes I have the big blacks ( Many tuner cars love the cross drilled and are unaware of the failure of the non-brembo's.) I agree with you that the stock rotors would be the best option for the track.
Mark
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:52 PM
Z-man
Race Director

...IMHO 951 brakes are one of the weak points of the car...
...I agree with you that the stock rotors would be the best option for the track.
Mark
So which is it?!?

Confused,
-Z.
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:41 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Dear Confused Z,
I think it is self explanatory.
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:20 PM
James-man
Race Car

Mark (Kool),

Have you been to DE events before or will this be your first? If this is your first, realistically, you only need to make sure that you have plenty of brake pad and that your brake fluid is good to go (change brake fluid or if a fairly recent flush, re-bleed the brakes).

Most of the track time in beginner sessions is focused on smooth driver inputs and learning the smooth lines. If you have natural skills or AX experience, you will progress quickly. In beginner run groups, you will definitely encounter some traffic which will prevent you from taking every lap completely hot. While a bit annoying, this actually saves your car from excessive tire and brake wear. A bit of a silver lining, I suppose. In spite of green group traffic issues, it is still a LOT OF FUN!

If you have been to the track a bunch of times, disregard the above and listen to the experienced masters here.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:33 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

James

This will be my first DE. I have run autox's in the past. Although my skill level is up for debate. Curly DE and I have ran a couple AutoX's sharing cars and we usually end up having pretty close times. He is usually faster.

I got an email today from the PCA Registrar and I am in the DE. Adam did you have anything to do with that?
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:37 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by Kool
I got an email today from the PCA Registrar and I am in the DE. Adam did you have anything to do with that?
No sure didn't (not to my knowledge) but congratulations. And the autoxing background will help w/ the last half of the track (after all, they call that the autox ).

Take care.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:40 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I was just looking at the list of participants and there will be a Carrera GT running.

I will have to bring a camera.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Mark / Kool:
With your AX background, you already have an edge as far as learning to drive on the big track goes. (A top-notch instructor in my region can immediately tell if his student has AX experience or not - he prefers those who have dodged cones prior to venturing out on the big tracks!)

I am sure you will have a blast! Be sure to report back to us how you did!

Just a warning - as fun and addictive autocross is, DE is 10 times more addictive! You have been warned.

-Z-man.
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kool
James

This will be my first DE. I have run autox's in the past. Although my skill level is up for debate. Curly DE and I have ran a couple AutoX's sharing cars and we usually end up having pretty close times. He is usually faster.

COngrats. A/X is good experience, especially in understanding the limits of the car...but Track driving is a totally different style and requires much more smoothness than A/X, I'm sure your instructor will beat this into your head all weekend... but I always tell my students that if you can feel when somebody started or stopped using any control (steering, brakes, throttle or shift), it is not smooth enough.

It should all blend together seamlessly.... concentrate on that and you will be miles ahead of the average novice
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:21 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Cool

I hope so. Time will tell.

I am really stoked about going. AutoX is fun but it goes by so quick that you have little time to get a rhythm for the course. Unless you do a 24 autox.

I suppose that racing on a big track has a lot to do with rhythm and knowing what your car is going to do before it does it.

I can't wait to get out there.
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:46 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Most autocrossers seem to adapt to the track very well. Hard braking, balance, corner speed, exit speed... all universal skills. If you're like me, you'll wonder why you ever sat in line for a short run when you can go lap after lap over the course in a nice long session.

Your face will likely hurt from grinning all day. Don't be alarmed, this is perfectly normal.

Have fun!
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:51 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
If you're like me, you'll wonder why you ever sat in line for a short run when you can go lap after lap over the course in a nice long session.
that's exactly what i thought this weekend! why did i ever spend 8 hours on an autocross course for less than 8 minutes of driving, when i got a good 75 minutes of real driving on a real track?

i guess the real difference is competition, as there is none in DE. so for those that like competition, autox is a way to meet that need.
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:59 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
Most autocrossers seem to adapt to the track very well. Hard braking, balance, corner speed, exit speed... all universal skills. If you're like me, you'll wonder why you ever sat in line for a short run when you can go lap after lap over the course in a nice long session.

Your face will likely hurt from grinning all day. Don't be alarmed, this is perfectly normal.

Have fun!

"Once you go track... you never go back.."

In addition to about a million times more seat time, driving the exact same track over and over allows you to really grow and develop as a driver..."mastering" a given track or tracks becomes the quest of a lifetime...
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:31 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
In addition to about a million times more seat time, driving the exact same track over and over allows you to really grow and develop as a driver..."mastering" a given track or tracks becomes the quest of a lifetime...
I do that now only virtually. Fast times in GT4. Although I have stuffed several million dollars worth of cars into various walls curbs and sand traps.

Why just the other night I ran a 787B straight into a wall in Hong Kong.

Oh and for the record the ROI in an autox was not all that great for me. $25 for three runs. :|
I usually leave autox's wanting more.

Quick Reply: DE Brake question