Trailer wiring help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer wiring help PLEASE!

Looking for a little trailer wiring help.

Here’s the scoop….’01 Range Rover being wired to a new Haulmark trailer. Going from a flat 4 pin to a 7 plug.

I ground the system and attach the running light wire. Running lights light up for about a second, then dim to dark. The truck has a new alternator and battery. The voltage reading at the trailer wiring harness is 13.23 V.

Please, any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated. I have to pick up my car tomorrow and don’t want to drive in Chicago traffic w/no brake lights or turn signals.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you using a converter box?

Try here
http://www.rangerovers.net/outfittin...ing.htm#wiring
or here
http://www.roverparts.com/INS_traile...kit_9439B.html
The box they show is fairly common.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I had a U-haul box on my old trailer and the left turn signal went out. Tried that box with the new trailer and it did not work so I bypassed the box and went direct from the harness in the rear of the truck to the 4 pin. I read on one of the rover sites that someone simply wired the pigtail directly to the box in the truck and it worked so I didn't think that I needed the converter.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:14 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Trailer wiring is complete!

Went to PepBoys and bought a powered converter from Hoppy that has a direct, fused, battery connection. I tapped into the Rover wiring before the white coupler so I didn't need any fancy connectors. I didn't mess w/the left side hookups b/c the trailer doesn't have reverse lights. Other than that, it was a pretty straight forward process. The trick now is to run the battery connection through the interior and into the engine bay.

The lesson is that with an enclosed trailer, or a trailer w/a ton of running lights is you need a high power converter to get enough juice back there.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring help PLEASE!