Sponsored by:

race seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005 | 06:53 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Default race seats

Hi ,
Has anyone installed a momo race seat and is it a direct fit with their slider and side mounts. Also how do you like the comfort/fit as this is going in a 89 951 ( have a sparco 2000 in now, but is a bear climbing in and out of when driving around town) which also sees public roads.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2005 | 08:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Check the size. I have a 36" waist, a couple MOMO seats I tried were to narrow. I went with Recaro Pole Positions instead.
Old 08-25-2005 | 10:38 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

I echo the pole postions as they are a super easy install. I think the Momo's take an adapter to fit.

Mike
Old 08-26-2005 | 09:50 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I just got a Momo, and when I read this thread, I went and compared it to my stock mounts, and the holes seem to be the same. I will install it this weekend, and let you know, but it looks like an exact fit. I also have a 36" waist, and the seat fits me fine. But, then again, mine is for racing only, and I like a snug fit. Recaro's are too expensive for me.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 08-27-2005 | 08:43 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

I have a (side mount) Momo 1000 Lakes on the driver's side. In order to install it I had to reverse the aluminum Mono mounts. The bottom lip with the floor mounting holes is now facing outwards. The holes on the Momo mounts widthwise align fine with the stock holes (where the stock seat slider mounts) but they are an inch or so too short lengthwise. You just need to drill new holes on the mounting pieces. I originally wanted to use the stock sliders but the seat would have been way too high for me. On the passenger’s side occasionally I mount a (bottom mount) Mono Start onto the stock sliders. The holes align pretty close but the sliders must be raised slightly in order to clear the floor. I'm pretty happy with the setup but this is a track car only. Any one piece race seat in an everyday car will be a major pain to get in and out unless you are 18 years old.
Old 08-27-2005 | 12:26 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Antonio,
If I used a Brey krause bracket and a universal slider ( which is the set up on my pro 2000) would there be any reason why this would not work with the MOMO's??? It's a real pita not being able to see these seats. Also the MOMO cup seats bottom shell is 3" shorter than the pro 2000. I like to drive very forward. Is there any reason this shortened length would effect my ability to move the seat forward as far as I want??? I am thinking the slider length is the determining factor, but wondering about a seat bolt possibly limiting travel.
Old 08-27-2005 | 07:29 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Antonio

I couldn't mount mine today. Had to take my wife shopping. Will do it tomorrow. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew.

Bill
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:33 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Lets see... Bill + new seat = wife shopping $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Man thats one expensive seat.
Old 08-28-2005 | 07:49 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

renvagn,

Boy, ain't that the truth. I started to mount the Momo today, and the mount fit perfectly in the stock place. When I started to mount the seat, I noticed that 13mm bolts would not fasten the seat to the mount. The only thing I can figure, is that the nut plates that hold the seat to the mount must be SAE. I really can't see and Italian seat using SAE bolts, but I know the 13mm won't fit, and I don't use SAE, so I will go to the local hardware store tomorrow, and find the proper bolts. I will let everyone know the results then. The only other thing that could be, is that I stripped out all nut plates on the mount, which I doubt, but then again, I am a lousy mechanic. But I did get the mount in the car within 10 minutes, and it fit perfectly. Oh well.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 08-28-2005 | 10:24 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Bill,

What seat did you purchase? Also are you using a slider and side mount or going directly into the floor?
Old 08-28-2005 | 11:24 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

The mount bolts directly to the stock 944 mounts. The front and back ends of the mount turn upward, and there are nutplates on them. The other part of the mount bolts to the seat, and has a slider on it to move the seat fore/aft. The ends of that mount turn downward, and have holes that allign with the nutplate thingies. It looked like 13mm bolts, which means the shaft is 8mm, I think. The trouble was that bolts didn't come with it, and when I tried the 13mm bolts, they didn't fit. I don't have any SAE bolts here, so I couldn't tell what it needs. It's Sunday, so our hardware store is closed, it will be tomorrow before I can get the bolts. I probably should take the mount out of the car, so I can take it with me to get the right bolts. But, I will most likely just get 4 1/2 in bolts,(by 1/2 inch bolts, I mean the head size, not the shaft size) and if they don't fit, I will just drill the nutplates out a fuzz, and put 13mm bolts with lock nuts on them. I have tons of them. By the way the mount is steel, not aluminum, and the seat is a Momo Rookie.

Bill
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:05 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I got the seat installed. As I said before, it is a Momo Rookie, and Momo mount. I gat some !/2 inch bolts, (5/16 shaft size) they didn't fit either, as I thought they wouldn't. I guess they are 13mm course thread, but, I'll never know for sure. I also got some lock nuts, just in case. I noticed that the nut plates only had about three threads on each one, which I did not think was enough. So, I drilled out the threads, and mounted the seat upper bracket to the mount bolted to the floor, with the bolts, and washers, and lock nuts. I just have to remember, if I take the seat out, I need an 1/2 inch wrench, instead of a 13mm.

Otherwise, putting the seat in was a snap, and everything fit, and alligned as it should. I think using bolts and lock nuts was a better idea than the stock nutplates, as it should be stronger, and not loosen from vibration. I probably should have used 13mm(8mm) bolts, to keep everything on the car metric. But, then, Weltmeister sway bars mount with SAE stuff.

Bill

Bill
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:24 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks bill. You know a seat swap is one of those things that should take an hour or less, but of course we're talking porsche time, so I always multiply by 3. Glad your swap was straight forward. I am not familiar with the rookie seat. Is it a fixed back race seat?? So it sounds like the slider to the seat frame and the slider to the side mount and away we go.
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:39 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Bill,

Was the slider mount specific to Porsche cars? I got a Start/Rookie seat with a generic slider braket and the slider was quite a bit narrower than the stock mounting holes in the car. I fooled with fabbing up a braket but could never get it low enough to provide enough clearence for my helmet - I'm 6'0". Where did you buy the mount?
Old 08-29-2005 | 11:19 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you intend to get a HANS.. make sure it will work with whatever seats you choose.. I had to sell my beloved Pole Position seats because they would NOT work with my HANS

Quick Reply: race seats