Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

race seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 10:35 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Skip

I bought the seat used from a guy whose butt was too big for the Momo Rookie. He put one in that looked like a Kirkey, though it is a different brand. He said the one he sold me came with the seat. I think he told me he bought it from Vertex. I looked in their catalog, and the comparable seat is called the Start, which I assume is short for Starter. I guess that replaced the Rookie, though I am not sure. It sells for $299. They don't show a mount, though the guy I bought it from said the seat mount came with it. He couldn't remember how much he paid. I have made seat mounts for my 944 two other times. It was fairly easy. One of them was the Cobra I think I got from you. I just mount the stock 944 mount to the floor. Take two pieces of 1/4 by 3 inch aluminum and bolt it to the stock 944 mount by drilling holes and 10mm (6mm) bolts and lock nuts. Then I remove the mount from the car, and drill holes in the aluminum to allign with the holes in the seats, and bolt the seat to it. When I remount it in the car, the stock slider works, and it is strong, and only sets 1/4 of an inch higher that stock. I am 6'1'', and I have plenty of headroom.

I like the mount that came with the seat, and took no fabricating, other than drilling out the nut plates.

Just check with Vertex, or whomever you plan to buy the seat from, and I am sure they have mounts. Or, just make your own.

ceboyd,

Boy, I never thought of that. If I get a HANS, I will check it out first.

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-30-2005 | 12:37 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
If you intend to get a HANS.. make sure it will work with whatever seats you choose.. I had to sell my beloved Pole Position seats because they would NOT work with my HANS
Hmmm...I run a HANS with PP's, what was the issue?

Although, in the SM, I'm switching to the HANS SPG...partly for the extra room for the HANS, and partly for the elephant ears.
Old 08-30-2005 | 01:03 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Addict,
No Ship! I have a Hans which is waiting for me to install. I have a sparco pro 2000 currently. What started this seat discussion was that I will need to add a second one.

( since the car is occasionally driven on the street, it is a climb getting out of the 2000's deep sides and I have seen MOMO cups on sale for $380.00 compared to $680 for the 2000 and I would like to have a matched set. But may get a EVO and flip seats.)

What was the problem with your pole position and usage of the hans?
Old 08-30-2005 | 01:44 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Renvagn

Where the heck can you get MOMO Cups for $380. Vertex, a usually reasonable place, wants $520. $380 is a bargain.

Bill
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:08 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Bill, contact Louis @ LTB Motorsports for Momo / Sparco Products. Honestly, if there is something I can get somewhere else, I still try figure out a way to buy it from LTB - they are great and usually ship stuff before you hang up the phone.

Cups for $395 here - http://ltbmotorsports.com/cup.html

Here's the listing of all seats - http://ltbmotorsports.com/racingseats.html (I had a Momo Cup and now own a Cup GT - both are great seats)
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:42 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Adam,

Thanks,

Bill
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:50 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Bill,
I found them on line last week. I have the ph if your in need but not in front of me currently. Someone told me that MOMO and sparco are one and same. What do you know? come to think of it, ITB is the site I was on.

Adam,
Is the qualitly and size comparable to the evo????? Would it be comfortable on 2 hour drive ???? in your opinion ???? It sucks not being able to see the seats with the exception of luck in finding a car where their mounted. Thanks
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:19 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

No, Sparco and Momo are not, as far as I know, the same company. LTB Motorsports sells both but they are different manufacturers last I checked. As far as quality, I now have owned two Momo wheels, two Momo seats and one Momo drivers suit - the quality is top shelf on all.

I have a pair of Sparco Ultras in my 944S that I have driven to Daytona and back and several trips to Savannah and back (6+ and 4 hour trips respectively). The Momo is SIGNFICANTLY more comfortable as it feels much more body formed of the two. The Momo Cup GT (and just ask LTB if thats the same dimensions as the Cup - want to say there is a slight difference but the padding and dimensions are identical if memory serves) is essentially the same dimensions across the seat pan as the Sparco Ultra (maybe .5" to 1" wider). The Momo however has a much more significant shoulder wing presnece than the Ultra and gives a more wrap-around feeling. The Momo also has the bolster under the legs (like the Evo I believe) and doesn't feel as boxed in around the seat area as the Ultra. If you can find the specs/dimensions of the Evo compared to the Ultra, perhaps that will help make some sense of this. Sorry I can't be more help.

I can say that between a Momo Cup and Sparco Ultra, there is NO comparison, Momo wins easily.
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Hmmm...I run a HANS with PP's, what was the issue?

Although, in the SM, I'm switching to the HANS SPG...partly for the extra room for the HANS, and partly for the elephant ears.
In my case, I was too tall for the HANS to work properly..

The HANS hurt like hell pushing down on my shoulders because the inlet for the straps went BELOW my shoulders with the HANS in place...
Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2005 | 03:32 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Adam,

I was considering the Momo Cups too. What mounting hardware did you use? Was it a direct fit or did you have to modify anything.

Many thanks,

Noel
Old 08-31-2005 | 04:07 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
In my case, I was too tall for the HANS to work properly..

The HANS hurt like hell pushing down on my shoulders because the inlet for the straps went BELOW my shoulders with the HANS in place...

Is there a way to remove some foam from the seat bottom in the PP? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of getting a PP to replace my drivers side SRD, but when I sat in one, the harness holes were below my shoulders.
Old 08-31-2005 | 05:19 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sjanes
Is there a way to remove some foam from the seat bottom in the PP? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of getting a PP to replace my drivers side SRD, but when I sat in one, the harness holes were below my shoulders.
Nope.. looked into that... even tried again without the HANS padding and still not enough space...

I have a full on race seat now... Aluminum Ultrashield.. and works great with the HANS... not as comfy as the Pole Position but more supportive and I love it on the track...
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2005 | 07:37 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by Noel
Adam,

I was considering the Momo Cups too. What mounting hardware did you use? Was it a direct fit or did you have to modify anything.

Many thanks,

Noel

Noel, mine were custom fixed seat mounts for the Cup/Cup GT seats. I have seen these (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/sidemonts.html) several times and I cannot forsee how they would not bolt up directly (to the seat) as the openings appear slotted. IIRC, my 944 Sliders were solid face on the top, you could probably just drill new holes if the bottom of these don't line up. Or maybe something like this (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/unslid.html)?

On the 44S, the Sparcos are mounted to tabs welded to the stock sliders. Something like that might be an option for you (and you can get it "pretty" low). The ONLY downside to doing this is that you will effectively ruin the sliders to remount stock seats (and people seem to really not want to part with them for a decent price).

Personally, I am a fan of mounting them inside the seat frame mount as you can drop it pretty much on the floor.
Old 09-01-2005 | 10:36 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Noel,
For the cup seat, I was told that the side mount would need to be drilled in order to line
up with the floor holes. It is exasperating attempting to get information about these seats. dealers can not tell you much more than the quotes on line from the catalogue. I spoke with a source today who said he fits well in a cup and is 5'10" 205 lbs. Does anyone know if the navy color of the momo cup seat is similar to the sparco Navy ??????? tHANKS
Old 09-02-2005 | 09:02 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

I agree renvagn. It is difficult to get information about them. Fortunately, we have Rennlist!

If only drilling is required, I can handle that. This is what I have heard about installing the following seats:
Cobra Imola II- if you get the Brey-Krause side mounts the installation is much easier than with the Cobra mounts.
Recaro Pole Position - Direct Fit, no modifications necessary.
Momo Cup - What you told me.

Quick Reply: race seats