Sponsored by:

ALMS Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default ALMS Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta

This is going to take place Sept. 28-Oct. 1. I have never been to a race before and this will be my first. Has anyone ever been to a race here who can offer some advice re lodging, best place to see the race, etc.

This sounds like it should be a great event and I am really looking forward to it!

I think this is where the Porshce LMP2 prototype will race first.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dmac:
I have been to the last 7 Petit LeMans. It is a must see event. I always look forward to it. PM me about lodging, there are alot of reasonable places to stay around the Mall of Georgia (20min away). At PLM, the place to be is the Jim Ellis Porsche Corral and tent set up at turn 10.
If you have any specific questions, PM me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'm driving my car out from Dallas for this. I'm itchin' to do a road trip. How do you get hooked up to be part of the Porsche Car Corral?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm pretty sure I'm driving my car out from Dallas for this. I'm itchin' to do a road trip. How do you get hooked up to be part of the Porsche Car Corral?
Click on this Link

Porsche Car Corral
Old 09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Checking back in to see who all's going....I've got ticket and pass for the Corral (Porscheplatz). I'm planning on driving out from Dallas, probably arriving Friday afternoon. That is to say, if my back feels better next week..wouldn't be a fun drive from a physical perspective this week
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I usually try and stay up at Dahloniga (sp.), its much less humid up there, and 'quaint'. Once even stayed in a Lodge that had a history which required each suite to be decorated in a different style, it was not what I expected.
R+C
Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmac
...offer some advice re...best place to see the race, etc.
With all due respect to the person who mentioned the Porsche Corral as "the place to be"...

The 10a/10b combo (the P-Corral is located inside the track at 10) is worth a few minutes of your time, as there are some interesting passes under braking for 10, but it's just not the track's most interesting vantage point. 5 is a much better spectating location; perfect for 5-6pm when you can see the whites of the drivers' eyes. Outside 12 is a very cool, very high speed corner; it's a great place to watch the start of the race. At night, inside 6 and 7 are good for glowing rotors and flames. The stretch of fence from the inside of 1 through 4 offers a number of interesting opportunities to view the action; nice during the first few hours of the race (walk it at your leisure).

This is your first race, so whatever you do, don't confine yourself to one area for more than an hour. Road Atlanta is a magnificent track; don't short-change yourself.

Originally Posted by dmac
I think this is where the Porshce LMP2 prototype will race first.
The Porsche Spyder is no longer on the Petit Le Mans entry list, owing to teething issues uncovered during initial testing. Current plans are to debut the car two weeks later at Laguna Seca.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Hey Bob:
You are correct, there are many great vantage points at RA. I meant " 10A/Porsche Corral as the place to be" purely in the social context, to meet up with Porsche guys!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:15 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob C.

The Porsche Spyder is no longer on the Petit Le Mans entry list, owing to teething issues uncovered during initial testing. Current plans are to debut the car two weeks later at Laguna Seca.
Say it aint so!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by fryd
Say it aint so!!!
Wish I could.

However, there are a number of cars to be enthused about on the entry list:

1) 2 Aston Martin DB9Rs: Perhaps the most beautiful GT-based racecars ever to grace a track.
2) Zytek 04S: With Shimoda behind the wheel, the 04S set the pole time at Mid-Ohio by 1.1 seconds over Weaver in a Lola and by 1.6 seconds over Lehto in an Audi. I've seen enough endurance racing that I rarely experience something so emotionally moving that I get goosebumps. I got goosebumps that day.
3) 3 2005 24 Hours of Le Mans winners. 7 2005 24 Hrs podium finishers, including all three GT2 podium Porsches.
4) 2 Corvette C6.Rs, clearly worthy successors to the venerable C5-Rs.

You may not see the Porsche Spyder, but you won't go home disappointed. ...unless Panoz wins GT2.

IMHO, FWIW, etc.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Hey Bob:
You are correct, there are many great vantage points at RA. I meant " 10A/Porsche Corral as the place to be" purely in the social context, to meet up with Porsche guys!
OK. Good point. ...except you may have to deal with the Vette guys parked right across the road.

Last edited by Bob C.; 09-22-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob C.
OK. Good point. ...except you may have to deal with the Vette guys parked right across the road.

Drop on over... we Z06'ers tend to be a...

Friendly Group !!!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Anybody know if there are golf carts to rent at Petit?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Drop on over... we Z06'ers tend to be a...

Friendly Group !!!
Will you still be friendly if your boys spend 10 hours staring at the south end of a DB9R?

Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Anybody know if there are golf carts to rent at Petit?
Mid-Florida Golf Cars is the vendor. If you make advanced reservations, there is a three-day minimum (typically $75 or $85 per day). Or, you can roll the dice and hope they have a few spares on the day(s) you want one. Their number is 800-385-1385.

Quick Reply: ALMS Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta