In-car drink system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:20 AM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-car drink system?

I will be running a 3 hour enduro and would like to use some kind of drink system, any recommendations??

Thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Right now I use the Longacre drink bottle. It is nothing more than a really nice lightweight bracket with a coleman bottle and a camelback hose and bite valve.

IMHO, its good but having to bite that hose all the time gets tiring (read cramps...). I'm putting together a system with dry-breaks. Downside is that you'll have to drill a hole on the helmet. I'm not planning on having a pump on it (at this stage anyway) for simplicity plus, I don't want to press the wrong button and have my mix of H20+Gatorade sprayed all over my face.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a camelback. Perhaps you can find a way to attach it to the harness bar.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Camelbak in it normal bag strapped to the roll cage. Then run the hose through the harness hole in the seat. Grab it shove in your mounth on straights when needed.

Works for me.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4 Guy

I'm with this system!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:01 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fyi, I used a 1 gallon thermos drink jug, and clear hose inserted into drink valve. (top mounted) with the camel back bite valve. ran it under the rt harness strap and into lap with long hose. (so when I needed it was there)

never had cramping problem with bite valve....

BUT did have problems with fluids caught in tube getting VERY HOT, 2nd sip was 110+ degrees, until I blew air into hose to get fluids back into bottle. (this was front engine car, and cabin was 130 degrees after 5 min)

think camelback sells tube insulation... which is good if you share a ride/bottle.

gatoraid after 20 min is worth 1 sec /lap. imho...

-doubt you'll have time to refill at pitstop, so bigger is better....

-Hey Terry, think Simpson can modify my helmet????
Old 08-22-2005, 01:10 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll

gatoraid after 20 min is worth 1 sec /lap. imho...
But Red Bull is worth 2 sec/lap
Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually--Gatorade is a good idea.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like gatorade in camelbaks due to cleaning issues.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Hey SJANES, Drink a gallon of RED BULL, you wont need a stinking car!

The thermos worked good for me, AND, actually towards the end, I had 2 thermos 1 with water and another with gatoraid. (maybe they were 1/2 gal)

Anyway You can tell who's getting tired after 20-30 mins, then you drink, get sharp/focused and get 'em. that and air vents really help in enduros.... well worth any weight or aero loss. imho...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Ohhh noooooo Mr. Bill,

Man, your jaws must be better than mine. I tried bitting on that valve for 1/2 hour at Homestead 2 weekends ago and boy was I tired. Ín my setup is not practical to have it hanging and then put it in my mouth to drink (that did not sound that good...) as I wear a closed helmet with a FAST blower.

I'm told that the best is to mix gatorade H2) 50/50 (IMHO tastes like crap but its all about hydration and not taste).
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

If it were me, in car hydration is only half the problem. I would have to have an in car go to the bathroom system. I only do Drivers Ed but I try to suck down fluids all day long. If I'm not running to the bathroom all day I'm not drinking enough. My last session of the day last Tuesday I pulled into the pits to call it a day and all of a sudden made a quick drive directly to the bathroom at the track feeling like I was going to wet my pants.

I would reccomend a hottie in the passenger seat to mix up your favorite cold beverage!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:43 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Hey Juan, which bite value are you using? the cheap blue one, or the more expensive spring loaded one?

the cheap ($5) one should not be a problem, it slips over a std (forget size) hose.

this is like mine:
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-...alve-14424.htm

of course, I used a long hose, it was about 3' from under the sholder harness, to the valve, so it was in my lap, when I wanted it. (didnt have to look) (I didnt have it in my mouth for over 30sec ever)

-I had a closed helmet too, (simpson voyager), but not the blower. just stuck the hose in the visor, and drank. -you just have to pick your spot to get the hose (straights, where you'd be checking gauges)

when done, just spit it out, and the hose was between my legs. (*-thats what she said...)

Funny, I never need to pee on track, just before... seems I sweat everything out. Sometimes its kinda scarry to see the dark brown color after not going all day...
Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 PM
4master
Advanced

I have used a 70 ounce camelback for over a year now with no complaints. I fill the bag with ice and water just before a race and am good to go. The insulated pack that the bladder sits in usually keeps things pretty cold, even for 90 minutes. The bag is strapped to the back of my seat with the drink tube inserted through the shoulder harness hole.

The only problem I ever had was if I removed the drink tube from under my full face helmet (like exiting the car during my pit stop) and forgot to put it back in before exiting the pits, I usually could not get the bite valve back in my mouth (the bite valve and flow control valve were too long).

I have since solved this problem by doing the following:

1) Cut the drink tube in half.
2) Take the flow control valve off and insert it into the middle of the two lengths of hose (this creates a dry break).
3) Drilled a hole in the middle of my helmet (wear my mouth is - duh)
4) Inserted the other length of tubing into my helmet thru the hole and attached the bite valve on the inner part of the tube.
5) Attached the other end to the flow control vlave. Now there is a dry break which keeps the tube mostly empty of water until I need a sip. Open the valve, squeeze the bite valve, and drink cold water.

This also allows me to exit the car by detaching my drink tube in my helmet from the flow control valve on the tube leading to the camel back. When I climb back in, attach these two tubes together and my system is complete.

I bought the Camelback from the local sporting goods store for about $35.00 and did not need to buy anything else, I just modified the system as it was.

Good luck.

Scott Foremaster/1985.5 I class 944/#909/Junkyard Dog Racing - proud owner of the ugliest 944 in PCA Club Racing!

Quick Reply: In-car drink system?