Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nurburgring regulars: tips/advice re tourist days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Any comments on the Hotel an der Nordschleife or Ringhaus - Altes Forsthaus St. Hubertus for accommodations near the 'ring?
Both are fine - you can't really go wrong in Germany with bed&breakfast or hotels. Altes Forsthaus is much more convenient for the Nordschleife entrance.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:08 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just returned from the Nuburgring, BMW driving school and open lap days. #1 I highly suggest you get the EVO magazine and any relevent info on the track corners before even attempting driving the ring. They will not check your car for anything but a video camera (not allowed anymore). You will be passed on the right also ( not legal, but will happen). Recheck the schedule for track days. Our school closed down the ring for 3 days and had the entire circuit to ourselves. Alot of cars showed up with no access. If it rains, be extremely careful Hatzenbach is beyond slippery. Motor cycles are everywhere! Your rental insurance might exclude the ring. Also try Spa and Hochenheim as they have "public lapping days". Our course was pretty extensive and dissected the track into nearly 12 separate sections 12 hours a day. It took the entire time to learn 72 turns a speed. In a BMW wagon, we seldom were not flat out, but I drive a 993 at home and was glad to not have the extra power to learn the track. During public days, we passed alot if not most M3's, AMG's, and yes 911's who did not know the line. Over 60 turns are blind, late apexes. Fun in a wagon, but very dangerous compared to U.S. Be safe! Three bikes off in 2 hours with the bunch off to the hospital (common occurence).
Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Rental agencies do not allow you to leave the UK for mainland europe in a rental car. You'll have to rent a car in London, fly to europe, and then rent another car.
This is completely incorrect. It does sometimes involve an extra charge but I have done it several times. Wouldn't tell them you are going to the ring though.

Most lower priced rentals in europe are manual.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, I was looking at AutoEurope and Avis/Budget, and neither would let me rent from UK and drive to the Mainland.

What rental agencies have you used that let you drive across the channel and how much extra is it?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:48 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Be prepared for rain. Hatzenbach is very slippery. Fuchsroehr into Adenaur forest is pretty dangerous. Metzegefeld follows this section with a very late and fast left sweeper, then into an even later, much slower left,right down hill turn, and it gets even more hairy for the ensuing 4 turns. Grab an English speaking ring rider with experience and pay for his/her lap as an initial run through the course. You may remember 5 turns, but you will at least get an idea of what is going on before you go yourself. I helped out a racer prepping for a vintage race the next day. I ran into him after the race in Frankfurt and he said it really helped getting some laps riding shot gun. Most important have the course verbally explained during the lap: Constant radius, turn in late, don't turn in at the curbing here! etc. Watch the bikes, tour buses, and your mirrors!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the advice bob! I've got the basical layout of the track memorised from playing it in racing games for the past few years, but I'm sure that won't prepare me for the weather, traffic, and bumps here and there. I fully intend to scam a ride of anyone who is willing to give me one, and I have no intention of pushing the limits of the car whatsoever.. at least not on my first visit..
Old 08-29-2005, 10:34 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice bob! I've got the basical layout of the track memorised from playing it in racing games for the past few years, but I'm sure that won't prepare me for the weather, traffic, and bumps here and there. I fully intend to scam a ride of anyone who is willing to give me one, and I have no intention of pushing the limits of the car whatsoever.. at least not on my first visit..
Ditto for me.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Rich, no problem. Darren (posted) also ran with our group and has some really good picts. Ask him for some links. The game is good, but does not give you the elevation changes which are extreme. The downhill to Adenaur Forest can be taken flat out after the Aremberg, but it's scary the first time. A diesel wagon can hit 210kph through this section and higher hp cars...... Have fun, it's really that incredible. As far as the game. I played it after returning to see if it followed the line and it does extremely well, but you must turn off driver aids to get a real sense. Drive the 1 series bmw in this mode it will run high 8min laps fully stock while staying completely on track. PS. your straight away is really a cool down area during public lapping so use it for that since you must pit partially down the straight to pay the "toll". In the school we had open track time and could continually lap(no pit in) at top speeds for 1.5 hour sessions. Almost forgot. If your car has steel wheels or even alloy, make sure there is a lug wrench in the kit before leaving the rental agency. Lugs will get loose, check often, major problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

bob - which game were you playing? I've got EA's F1 challenge for my PC with "TheRingGguide" version of the 'Ring downloaded. It does have the elevation changes and they seem pretty substantial even in the game. I usually play with with a downloaded '60's 911R with all aids turned completely off.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

bob - which game were you playing? I've got EA's F1 challenge for my PC with "TheRingGguide" version of the 'Ring downloaded. It does have the elevation changes and they seem pretty substantial even in the game. I usually play with with a downloaded '60's 911R with all aids turned completely off.

GT4 on PS2, must use the wheel, foot pedals. It's pretty accurate. Car is the 120i BMW I believe.

Quick Reply: nurburgring regulars: tips/advice re tourist days?