Sponsored by:

Hans ?with harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hans ?with harness bar

Will the Hans device work if I use a race seat- Sparco pro 2000, with a Brey-Krause harness bar and 5 point safety belts in my 968? I measured the harness and my helmet according to the Hans quick start guide and I'm close, but without a roll cage the shoulder harness location is dictated by the harness bar slots.
txs
Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Work? It may well fit, but personally, I would want to have at least a roll bar in place before I strapped myself in so securely. In the event of a rollover, there's nothiing between you and spinal compression. That has little to do with the HANS, however.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave;

The key parameter is belt angle. You need to be very close to straight back (parallel) with your belts from shoudler to bar for the HANS to work properly. If you can achieve this, then you should be fine. Personally I wouldn't worry about the roll overs. It's just so unlikely.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:49 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave have you considered ISAAC? I am now way affiliated to them but I spent a long time researching the subject and decided that ISAAC was the best solution for me.
It has relatively less constraints form a system design point of view, it's les cumberstone and to me it makes much more engineering sense.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Not really wishing to hijack this thread, I nonetheless feel moved to go on a little ramble about risk and danger, a distinction that Dave Gaunt made in another thread. I am not disagreeing with you, John, I imagine the risk of a roll-over is small, and as you have previously pointed out, even if it happens, there’s a good chance the roofs of our cars will not collapse. The danger involved is minimal. However, there have been a couple of pictures of flips and rollovers posted recently (granted, they were 911's!), so it happens. There is some risk.

Some (probably quite a few) estimate that we place ourselves in unnecessary danger just by indulging our hobbies. However, for the returns we get, we obviously feel that the risk involved is worth it. This is entirely subjective, no matter what the stats may say.

So, when I went to a five-point harness, I bought one of John’s nifty roll bars for my 944. Whatever the risk, I personally thought the cost of minimizing that risk was well worth the minimal outlay involved (I still think they’re a good deal, John). And, of course, I imagine I also get a little more protection from a side impact. I’m glad I did it.

This might make me excessively risk averse. I am probably something of a chicken. In fact, I suspect that if I were a little less risk averse, I would be a better driver. But, there you have it. To each his own. I would be safer, of course, had I installed a complete roll cage, but the reduction in risk, in my own personal, completely subjective calculation, was not enough to move me to make a car I can’t drive on the street and is more difficult to get in and out of. Rational? I dunno. But that’s not really what this is all about, is it.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just my own 2 cents:
I don't like 5 points...6 points a must.
I don't trust a harness bar (for structural ridigity), if mounted between std 3 point mounting bolts.....especially when subjected to harness loading in a frontal/off angle impact.
That having been said, I agree wtih John; as long as you follow the HANS geometry requirements, you should be fine, and far better off than with stock seats/harnesses.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,

Sure you can use the HANS with a harness bar. I have a Brey-Kraus harness bar in my 968 and the HANS works fine with my Recaro race seat and Deist 5-point safety harness.

As John points out, it's important that the harness straps are parallel to the floor as depicted in the HANS materials.

Richard
Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

txs for the information
Since I no longer use my car on the street, I am planning to install a roll cage, but won't get itin before my next drivers ed. All the recent posts about head and neck restraints, got me more interested in driver safety. I will likely go to 6 point belts when I installl the cage.
-Dave

Quick Reply: Hans ?with harness bar