Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll cage padding

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now I have the noodles. I will be getting 3 3ft sections to do my cage. Pricy, but cheap if ever need it.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want to save some money on the high-density padding, I/O Port Racing has what they claim is the same stuff, only without the SFI sticker -- and without the cost added that comes with getting SFI approval. They claim it's made of the same flame-resistant material. It's available both in normal thickness and smaller, with less wrap-around for fitting in tricky areas.

$11 per 3-foot section.

It's probably smarter to get the actual SFI-rated stuff. But this may be the same product without the SFI price bump.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:54 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I don't agree with this at all.

In a crash, the pool noodle stuff will collapse to full compression in a heartbeat, leaving the steel underneath to break whatever it hits.

The noodle stuff is used in some applications to keep drivers from bruising their knees, hips and elbows during driver changes. But it's not appropriately used as protection from the cage during crashes.
How about putting the noodle stuff on top of the FIA/SFI padding (assuming there is room)? Best of both worlds? The noodle stuff I have is based on fire retardant material.

Bruinbro
Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruinbro
How about putting the noodle stuff on top of the FIA/SFI padding (assuming there is room)? Best of both worlds? The noodle stuff I have is based on fire retardant material.

Bruinbro
It may not burn, but will it melt and drip on you?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't see any harm in that, so long as it's not going to cause trouble in a fire. It might look a little funny (but then all of our street/track cars probably look a little funny).
Old 08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Geo
It may not burn, but will it melt and drip on you?
Good question. I'll ask.

Bruinbro
Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bruinbro
The FIA/SFI padding isn't going to do much when your arms and legs hit it. The whole idea behind this type of padding was to get the correct stiffness/damping to decellerate your helmet properly to allow the padding inside your helmet to protect your noggin. The noodles, on the other hand, are about the right consistency for decellerating the "soft " stuff like arms and legs. So, the question becomes where can your head/helmet hit in a crash? That is where I need the FIA/SFI padding. If there was room I would put a noodle over the SFI/FIA stuff to get the best of both worlds.
I'm afraid we're going to agree that we disagree.
I somehow think it is preferable to have your extremities hit SFI/FIA padding as opposed to a steel rollcage member.
Best of luck with your project.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm afraid we're going to agree that we disagree.
I somehow think it is preferable to have your extremities hit SFI/FIA padding as opposed to a steel rollcage member.
Best of luck with your project.
Thanks, I am going to look into getting some circular SFI padding and putting the noodle stuff on top of it. Do you have any pics of the SFI stuff in a car? I can't seem to find many on the web.

Bruinbro
Old 08-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Summit Racing sells their branded padding with SFI rating for $15 per 3 ft. length. It ccomes in 1/2, 3/4 and 1" thick sections . I tried it and it seems to be a good product. It has a sticky back with velcro which was nice for getting it aligned but I still taped mine to the bars.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:39 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"Noodles" are good comfort item for places where you might bang your elbow or knee getting into the car...but essentually useless for safety.

New problem... I have SFI covered with noodles on the bar next to my head and now it hits the top of my helmet in such a way that in a hard left-side side collision, it would torque my head sideways to the right and potentially create a compression injury.... gees...always something new to worry about

Quick Reply: Roll cage padding