Sponsored by:

Safety Implications of Fiberglass Body Panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safety Implications of Fiberglass Body Panels

The hood on my new 944 Track Car is slightly kinked. Nothing serious, and certainly nothing that I need to fix any time soon. Nonetheless, I have seen some great sources for fiberglass body parts and lexan windows for 944s. That would be an easy fix for the car.

I can imagine how addictive it could become to lose weight on a track car. It would be so easy to replace the hood, front and rear bumpers, fenders, doors, sunroof, and rear hatch with fiberglass, and replace the sides and rear windows with lexan. By my calculations, I think I could get my car down to nearly 2,000 lbs. However, I am concerned about the potential impact on safety.

How much of a difference would that make in the event of an impact. Would it make the car slightly more dangerous or significantly more dangerous?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

TD, cant answer the danger questions but if you ever plan on club racing with PCA, you cant have any fiberglass body panels or lexan glass (except the windshield). If your only going to do NASA races then glass away but keep in mind, should you ever want to sell the car and it is glassed up, you have reduced your potential buyers market by excluding prospective PCA club racers. Just a thought...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Eric,

Great point, and another reminder as to why you MUST ALWAYS read the rules first. When will I ever learn. RTFM.

No question in my mind. I would not consider any fiberglass panels. My wallet thanks you and PCA.

I wonder if a bodyshop can unkink my hood without requiring any paint?

TD
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric, I'm sure you were talking about PCA STOCK class where the car for the most part must retain the stock steel body. Things like valences and tails can be swapped out. In PCA GT classes, pretty much anything goes and many of the cars run fiberglass parts. To state the obvious, you will want a full cage with fiberglass doors, and probably want some type of NASCAR bars on the driver's side.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

TD - I've been told that the fit of the f-glass products out there is not that great. Thus, it's not simply a 5 minute job to hang a new fender or other part. Since the mods in my car have already moved me way up in class, I've been considering f-glass. I'll likely hold off until I get my engine and tranny mods completed.

As for safety, I'll have my full cage in by then so I'm not that worried.

One down side of the f-glass will be repair costs
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

One of the reasons I bought my car is that it qualifies for stock class. I do not want to move up a class, because I would rather be the big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mummm better look at the GT classes in PCA Lot of fiberglass in those classes
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
One of the reasons I bought my car is that it qualifies for stock class. I do not want to move up a class, because I would rather be the big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.
Before doing ANYTHING:
re-read the rule book, any fiberglass panels, other than the bumpers and the front valance on a '44 moves you into GT4. There are also minimum weights required for stock classes (by the way it is VERY difficult to get a '44 down to 2000lbs.) If you're going to run PCA you'll also need the full interior, including the carpets, headliner etc. if you're thinking about doing the '44 Cup the interior can be deleted but it is very difficult to be competitive in both series. Big Dave (Derecola) from the Potomac region runs the '44 Cup you might want to contact him for info on that series.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Al P.
Before doing ANYTHING:
re-read the rule book, any fiberglass panels, other than the bumpers and the front valance on a '44 moves you into GT4. There are also minimum weights required for stock classes (by the way it is VERY difficult to get a '44 down to 2000lbs.) If you're going to run PCA you'll also need the full interior, including the carpets, headliner etc. if you're thinking about doing the '44 Cup the interior can be deleted but it is very difficult to be competitive in both series. Big Dave (Derecola) from the Potomac region runs the '44 Cup you might want to contact him for info on that series.
Yes, actually I bought the car from Big Dave Derecola. I have never met him face to face but he seems like a great guy. I look forward to joining the 44 cup series as soon as I can drive well enough to do so.

My car qualifies for 44 cup because it meets SCCA ITS specs. I am most concerned about racing in '44 cup. Too bad the interior issue causes me problems with PCA classes. What class would the lack of interior put me into for PCA? I am assuming that I would not be competitive in anything but a stock class.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

GT4S or GT4R assuming a 2.5l or 2.7l engine version. The 3l version would move up to GT3S or GT3R.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I have a 2.5l engine. What types of cars typically run in PCA GT4S. I assume it is pretty difficult to be competitive in PCA GT classes. I wonder if I could create a velcro system to install my interior back into my car to make it eligible for PCA stock classes
Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
GT4S or GT4R assuming a 2.5l or 2.7l engine version. The 3l version would move up to GT3S or GT3R.
the "S" stands for "street" or DOT approved tires basicaly Hoosiers

the "R" is for anything on slicks

the lack of interior puts you in GT.

GT4 is the land of light weight (around 1800lbs.) full race motored 2.7 911's, 914-6's and a lone, under powered, overweight 924S (me)

GT3 is the land of Roy Chong in his highly modified 951 turbo

you'll enjoy running with the '44 Cup guys they're a good group. Best of luck with your journey into racing
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TD, are you ever going to post a photo of the new 944?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have a 2.5l engine. What types of cars typically run in PCA GT4S. I assume it is pretty difficult to be competitive in PCA GT classes. I wonder if I could create a velcro system to install my interior back into my car to make it eligible for PCA stock classes
I think there are a few people who do exactly that, at least with the carpet.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Noel
TD, are you ever going to post a photo of the new 944?
I posted some in another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/218880-first-de-in-the-944-and-i-think-i-did-the-right-thing.html

I will post some more of the interior after my next event

Quick Reply: Safety Implications of Fiberglass Body Panels