Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?

Hey guys,

In a bit of a dilemna here. I have an upcoming DE in August. I'm almost done with getting the necessary items for the track (BK fire ext. mount, 2.5 lb Halon fire ext., numbers), except the most important thing...a helmet. I've been doing research on helmets (~$300) and am learning towards the G-Force Pro Force One (based on reviews and bang for the buck compared with the Bells (M2/Sport III). Note, I will be going to the store tomorrow to test fit some, but they only carry Bells. Does anyone know if the G-Forces for the same as the Bells?

My main question is...since the SA2005 helmets are coming out this Oct. and are good for 10 yrs., should I wait and get a SA2005 or bite the bullet and get a SA2000 (which will mean i have to borrow a helmet again by who knows who wore it last), which will last me until 2010? Do the newer helmets offer better protection than the previous SA? Another option is if I wait I can get a leftover SA2000 at a discount. I only do about 1-3 DEs/yr.

Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Arrwin; 07-28-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I don't use my helmet longer than 5 years, anyway, so my vote would be to get the SA2000 at a better price, and five years from now, you'll be able to buy the SA2005 for a discounted rate when the SA2010 noggin protectors come out.

Sure, our DE programs allow you to use the helmut longer, but five years of DE's and some AX thrown in will wear your helmet well. And don't forget that wonderful 'sweaty-head' ordor that eminates from the helmet after time....
-Z.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A balaclava does wonder for the sweaty helmet issue. I use one especially in 100F+ race days to protect the helmet linings.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
A balaclava does wonder for the sweaty helmet issue. I use one especially in 100F+ race days to protect the helmet linings.
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the balaclava absorb and wick away sweat similar to the Under Armour material?

Balaclava overkill for the Green group?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the balaclava absorb and wick away sweat similar to the Under Armour material?

Not really, but you can wash it easily and replace them so do protect the helmet. They are made of Nomex not out of any material designed for wicking or anything. Their stated fucntion is fire protection for the head, neck and face. Most orgs require them if you have facial hair.

Not over kill for the green group although you won't see many on on racers.
They cost what $35 or so. If you get one get the single hole as they are abit more comfortable than the two hole. And yes they will seem a little restricting at first, but this goes away qucikly.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:35 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Personally, I don't use my helmet longer than 5 years, anyway, so my vote would be to get the SA2000 at a better price, and five years from now, you'll be able to buy the SA2005 for a discounted rate when the SA2010 noggin protectors come out.
-Z.
Ditto. If there were some compelling new standards in the 2005 spec, it might be worth waiting, but AFAIK there aren't. A helmet gets enough abuse in 5 years to warrant a change in any case.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M758,

When was the last time you saw temps under 100 degrees? One day last January, right? Seriously, though, I have been running 5 years behind, as far back as I can remember. I wish it were true that you got a discount on 2000's now, but I haven't been able to find one. My SA 95 will be five years old this Oct, and smells like a dead rat. If I could find a SA2000 at a good discount, I would buy it tomorrow, but so far, no luck. I will probably not wait for the 2005's, even without the discount, because mine needs changing, NOW.

So, I agree, go ahead and get a 2000 now. Just my humble opinion.

Bill Seifert
1987 944S Race Car
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
M758,

When was the last time you saw temps under 100 degrees? One day last January, right?
Bill Seifert
1987 944S Race Car
Well we had a few upper 90's in the first week in June, but that is rare. Typically from mid-late may through sept we see 100F+ daily highs.

Too hot for most folks. Winter is nice however.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I imagine that when the SA2005 helmets are released, the remaining SA2000 helmets will be sold at closeout prices so you may want to wait until October anyway.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Mugs914
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Not really, but they are a bit expensive if your not required to use one.

If nomex isn't required (AutoX, DE, etc) I wear a "doo rag" that I got at a motorcycle shop under the ol' lid. It's kind of a cotton skull cap type thing like bikers wear and it does a great job of absorbing perspiration. Between run groups I hook it to a mirror and let the breeze dry it out. They come in all sorts of colors and patterns and best of all, they're CHEAP!! (about 5 to 7 bucks...)

Oh. and my helmet doesn't stink even after five years of use. (I'm waiting for the '05s )

Cheers!

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 09:15 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

My GF found that the Bells and the G-Force helmets fit entirely differently. She chose the G-Force Pro Force 1 over the Bell M2 because it fit her head better.

Is G Force the same as Bell? I thought the Pyrotects were the same as Bell and G Force was entirely different?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If my SA 95 helmet were a shoe I would not want to put my foot in it. You can clean the insides. I use warm water and woollite, rinse it well and dry it out as fast as I can by sucking 99% of the water out of the foam with a shop vac and then setting it in front of a fan. There is also a program from Bell where you ship it to them and they rebuild it with new insides for $125 or so.

The SA2000s wil likely stay full price untill the 05s come out.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
My GF found that the Bells and the G-Force helmets fit entirely differently. She chose the G-Force Pro Force 1 over the Bell M2 because it fit her head better.

Is G Force the same as Bell? I thought the Pyrotects were the same as Bell and G Force was entirely different?
Yes...you are correct. I got G-Force and the Pyrotects mixed up. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Just came back from the store and tried on a few helmets. Seems like the M2 fit the best and I like the extra eyeport opening. I am also looking at the G-Forces, but they only carried Bells and Pyrotects (these didn't fit as comfortably).

Has anyone here had both a Bell and G-Force? Do they fit similiarily as far as sizes go or is one sized smaller than another? Specifically, I am comparing the Bell M2 vs. the G-Force Pro Force 1
Being Kevlar/Fiberglass, is the G-Force much lighter than the Bell?

If I decide on the G-Force I will have to buy sight unseen as there are no dealers near me.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Arrwin -
Powertech in Rockaway, NJ has a speed shop. They carry G-Force helmets. I believe that Driving Impressions (?), the speed shop at Lime Rock also carries the G-Force brand.

-Z.

Quick Reply: Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?