Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I thought my helmet smelled bad. Until I smelled Kurt's.
Originally Posted by Geo
Why did you do THAT??
I was going to ask the same thing. What, did you drive behind me close enough?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:07 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
Regardign the bad smell I am wondering if a trick I have used with shoes would work on a helmet or potentially damage it. With smelly shoes I have sometimes after washed and dry them put them in the freezer for a couple of days. Seems that a lot of bacteria doesn't survive the cold temperatures.

Would a few days in frozen state damage the helmet?
After speaking with Bell they have advised us that it is OK to put the helmet in your freezer. Helmets are tested to 8 F during the test. They didn't know if the cold would reduce the stink factor or not. Hope this info helps.
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may try that, but I think most freezer take the temp to 0 degrees f. Would 0 degrees hurt it?

Bill
Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious. If all helmets have to pass the same sec (Snell20XX) what qualities are substantially dofferent as it applies to safety? I agree that fit and finsih can vary, but sholdn't they all be similar in 'quality'?

I had a conversation with a very helpfull young lady @ Simpson recently. She told me that with the Snell 2005 helmets in production, they are short stocking all Snell 2000 lids so as no to get stuck with them. So, unless you find a re-seller who had too many beers with the helmet rep at order time, I'm not so sure that Snell 2000 helmets are going to be too plentiful in October, darn it. That WAS my plan 'til I talek to Simpson.

What is superior in the G-force Helmet? Is the fit similar to a Bell?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, not too surprising that the rep fro the company that hopes you will buy the latest would say that. In the real world of inventory control, stuff happens. Look around after the first of the year.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGaunt
I am curious. If all helmets have to pass the same sec (Snell20XX) what qualities are substantially dofferent as it applies to safety? I agree that fit and finsih can vary, but sholdn't they all be similar in 'quality'?
First of all, Snell does not measure quality in the truest sense. They are just measuring the the amount of jolt transmitted to your noggin. Quality is an entirely different issue.

Originally Posted by DGaunt
What is superior in the G-force Helmet? Is the fit similar to a Bell?
I found virtually every quality aspect of the G-Force to be better quality than the Bell. The finish is better all the way around from the gel coat to the edges of the visor (anyone ever cut their hand on the visor of a Bell inserting their eye glasses? - I have), to the materials inside to the finish of the materials inside to, well, you name it. I even think the racheting action of the visor is better. That doesn't even address the convenience items that I also think are better. And for my money the Simpson isn't even on the same planet as the G-Force in terms of quality.

Now, all that said, I have no way to test the safety of the helmet. I simply accept that it meets the Snell standard. NOBODY here has the means to assess the safety of any of the helmets so that's all we have to go on.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I may try that, but I think most freezer take the temp to 0 degrees f. Would 0 degrees hurt it?

Bill
I didn't ask if they tested at any lower temps. Since the test temp is specific they wouldn't see any added benifit to checking at lower temps.

Bill Love
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the SA2005 grandfathered in the SA2000 helmets. Can anyone confirm?

Quick Reply: Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?