Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
P.Po
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firts of all I would NEVER (I can't empahsize that enough) buy a helmet without first trying it on... even if it was the same model. Too many parameters. A good helmet fitter will instruct you how to get the best fit for your head and what styles fit best. You will NOT know if the helmet fits properly until you put in on, sit in your car, in your driving position and wear if for 20 minutes.

I highly suggest you find the best (appropriate) helmet and ignore the price. If you own any P-car and want to take it to the track, the difference in helmet cost for the right helmet should not be an issue. The Bell and the G-Force you are considering are both good helmets, no problem with them as far as I can see, and you can't go wrong with them.

Please do not keep and use a helmet for 10 years, even if it still passes regulation. They do expire and wear out just sitting in your house.... I am not made of money, in fact pretty much the opposite (I am made of fat! lol!), and I buy a knew helmet every two years. Tthe helmet and safety equipment should never be comprised no matter what the deal is... buy the Bell from you local retailer and concentrate on learning how to drive tracks the next two years. Then look around for something else...

HTH,
Patrick
Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Arrwin -
Powertech in Rockaway, NJ has a speed shop. They carry G-Force helmets. I believe that Driving Impressions (?), the speed shop at Lime Rock also carries the G-Force brand.

-Z.
Thanks Z. Both are a bit out of the way, but Powertech may be doable.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrwin

I use a Bell and have heard good things about the G-Force, but have not tried both. I think Geo has had both, and currently has a G-Force. He normally watches this list. You might PM him. You could probably find him in an old thread of this list. He will be glad to give you his opinion, and he knows a lot about helmets and such.

Bill
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF tried both. The Bell seemed a little more round, while the G Force was a better fit for her as it was more "narrow" and fit more snugly around her cheeks.

This is how she described them at least, so their fit was not the same (nor was the size she required - XS vs S).
Old 07-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. This is great info. Looks like I need to try on the G-Force before making a decision.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:13 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I thought my helmet smelled bad. Until I smelled Kurt's.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Simpson helmets. I like them better than the Bell. I spray my helmet with odor eater - the stuff you use on running shoes. Works well. Some put those odor eater ***** (also for running shoes) ini the helmet between uses. Also helps.

One last thing to check, I prefer the Simpson because the shape works with my seats. The bell tends to project farther out the back forcing me into a chin down postion instead of letting me keep my head upright. The Bell also sticks up farther causing clearance issues for tall drivers. Test your helmet sitting in your car to be sure!

best,
Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Simpson helmets. I like them better than the Bell. I spray my helmet with odor eater - the stuff you use on running shoes. Works well. Some put those odor eater ***** (also for running shoes) ini the helmet between uses. Also helps.

One last thing to check, I prefer the Simpson because the shape works with my seats. The bell tends to project farther out the back forcing me into a chin down postion instead of letting me keep my head upright. The Bell also sticks up farther causing clearance issues for tall drivers. Test your helmet sitting in your car to be sure!

best,
Great advice Bob! Never really thought of trying it on IN my car. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:59 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardign the bad smell I am wondering if a trick I have used with shoes would work on a helmet or potentially damage it. With smelly shoes I have sometimes after washed and dry them put them in the freezer for a couple of days. Seems that a lot of bacteria doesn't survive the cold temperatures.

Would a few days in frozen state damage the helmet?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

www.vasracingsuits.com. Victor is on Long Island.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Regardign the bad smell I am wondering if a trick I have used with shoes would work on a helmet or potentially damage it. With smelly shoes I have sometimes after washed and dry them put them in the freezer for a couple of days. Seems that a lot of bacteria doesn't survive the cold temperatures.
Great idea; I'll try it!

The discount for 'last years' spec is never enough incentive to forego the new helmet. Personal preference for more rapid changeover not withstanding; the useful life is half so the price should be half or less. Waiting here for the 2005 issue.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
DeepFreeze
Track Day

bell and g-force are top quality hemlet makers.

cannot go wrong period. measure your head.

then try some helmets on.

make sure it vents. last thing you want is a hot head.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Arrwin

I use a Bell and have heard good things about the G-Force, but have not tried both. I think Geo has had both, and currently has a G-Force. He normally watches this list. You might PM him. You could probably find him in an old thread of this list. He will be glad to give you his opinion, and he knows a lot about helmets and such.

Bill
Indeed.

I have owned 3 Bells (one of which saved my life), a Simpson, and a G-Force. I would take the G-Force any day of the week and twice on Sundays on all counts. From all aspects I can ascertain, my G-Force is higher quality than any other helmet I've owned.

I grew up with Bell being the helmet and that made a lasting impression. One saved my life and that made a lasting impression. I had considered a G-Force, but was worried you got what you paid for. From the first time I saw one I realized otherwise. Even better that it fits me better than any helmet I've ever owned.

The only reason I can think of that G-Force would be higher quality, yet cost less, is that they don't have to support a bunch of professional racers from F1 on down.

I'd highly recommend at least checking them out. Another positive is that all of the G-Force SA helmets are Kevlar/Fiberglass.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by George from MD
I thought my helmet smelled bad. Until I smelled Kurt's.
Why did you do THAT??
Old 08-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Regarding helmet life, when I replaced my Bell Sport II with a new Sport II (shortly before buying the G-Force), I realized just how BAD the old one was. OMG. My old Sport II was 7 years old, but it only have about a year's usage. It was not an overused helmet. I don't think I'll ever keep a helmet longer than 5 years again.

Quick Reply: Helmet...SA2000 or wait for SA2005?