Sponsored by:

In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...and

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 342 Posts
Talking In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...and

In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...andI wasn't 100% pleased with it. It worked most of the time but did give me grief from time to time. It was not operator error as most would suspect. Anyway, I sold off the HotLap Time and now it is time to replace it. I can do the following,
1. Get another HotLap Timer for about $190 and hope it works better,
2. Get the AIM MyChron Light TG systemfor about $280 that comes with the transmitter, or,
3. Get the Intercomp Lap Timing System for about $300.

Does anyone have experience with AIM or Intercomp? If so, let us know you experiences.

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you only looking for feedback on those 2 units? I have the Ultra-Lap from XT Racing. It's usually remarkably close to the AMB times from the track and easy to use and I love it. None of the multiple signal problems the Hot Laps seem to have sometimes and I don't even have to turn it on. It tracks all laps from all sessions and saves them all for later review. It's very flexible as far as display options and automatically goes to the fastest lap at the end of the session. Small, made from Billet aluminum Pretty blue color. $275 plus motorcycle battery.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Agreed.

None of the above.

After my Hotlap gave up the ghost, I got an Ultralap.

Comparing Hotlap to the Ultralap:

It's smaller, lighter, more durable, made of billet aluminum.

It records every lap and identifies the time of day, ambient temperature, session number and track name.

It can do split times with multiple transmitters, and is compatible with AIM transmitters.

It records 2000 laps, and you can download all the data (by wireless IR connection or USB cable) to a computer to save/analyze them.

You never have to think about turning it on or off, and it has much longer battery life than the hotlap.

Its display is much better. At the end of a session, it displays your best lap time, worst lap time, and average lap time, automatically.

It costs about the same as the Hotlap. $175 for the receiver. $225 for both receiver and transmitter. $250 gets you all that, plus the computer software and interface stuff.

I got mine here (no financial affiliation, but I got great service):

http://www.plavanracing.com/ultralapindex.htm

Oh, and unlike Hotlap, you can extend the range of the Ultralap transmitter by using a $10 motorcycle battery. No upgrade necessary, and you can keep recharging the battery. The one they recommend is here:

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=SLA-12V7-F1
Old 07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Thanks to Seege and Jack, the UltraLap sounds ....

like a great product. Thaks to Seege forhis suggestion, and Jack for the added information. It seems the UltraLap is a no brainer especially considering all that you get for less than $300.

I will check out Jack's distributor as well.

Thanks again,

Best regards,
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Marty
If I were you I would get my crew chief to time me and use the $ to buy a motorola two way radio and tell you what your lap times are. You do have a crew chief? Right.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

AIM, very easy to use, bigger readout than Ultra Lap, but the Ultra Lap is nice too. Either way.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had very good luck with the AIM system on my son's kart.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking My crew chief....

JJayB brings up a good point..I would have one oif my "Boys" time me, but generally they are too busy preparing gourmet meals and or detailing my car between session...ergo, I need a new in car lap timer. I sold off the HotLap Timer...not that thrilled with the unit. It was just OK...

The unit mentioned by Seege and Jack Olsen sounds like the one for me. Lots of neat features...and not that more, actually less, than any other fully confugured in car timer with a connection to the PC and transmitter, all for one competitive price...hmmmmm.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

UltraLap -- BUT I left my transmitter at Shenandoah and had to order a new one. No longer billet aluminum! The new one is plastic

Only $99 though to replace.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started using UltraLap this season, and its everything Jack said. I just plain WORKS, and provides the info you need immediately and automatically. Seeing the best, worst, and everage times immediately after each session is perfect. Ambient temp is a plus, as well.

Nicely constructed, and rugged enough for its original design goal which was motor cycle racing.
Darren says they have gone to plastic cases?? Guess that's what AIM uses, but if you are buying today its worth finding a distributor who still has stock of the billet Al case models.

Also try http://www.apexperformance.net/ for UltraLap at good prices. Also our 944SuperCup series sponsor.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

How easy is the installation of the Ultralap timer?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Its battery operated, so very easy. You just have to mount the receiver in a spot where it has a clear view of the transmitter. It doesn't work very well thru windows in my experience.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
canuckr
Cruisin'

I second the Ultra Laps, it has been working great for me the last couple years. Also, I have not had an issue on using the timer throught both side windows. The Ultra Laps also works with AIM transmitter's. It is getting to the point where I have not needed my transmitter at all this year.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canuckr
I second the Ultra Laps, it has been working great for me the last couple years. Also, I have not had an issue on using the timer throught both side windows. The Ultra Laps also works with AIM transmitter's. It is getting to the point where I have not needed my transmitter at all this year.
Yep. My beacon transmitter tends to stay in the trailer at races. The fact that UltraLap triggers on the AIM beacon signal is a plus. Often have to get it out at PCA DE days though.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great comments Jack.
Darren- Yes- they recently switched from billet aluminum on the TX to Impact Plastic. The tooling was taking way to long for the orders coming in.
Because of input from Jack and others, I now am supplying custom 8 foot cables (I can get longer or shorter). The 8 foot cable makes everyone happy. The install is simple, and Ultra Lap is self powered so you do not need to find a hot wire on the fuse box etc. You can swap it in and out of cars easily.

Jack- would you like an extra 8 foot cable since you gave me the input?

Thanks,
Chad Plavan
www.plavanracing.com
www.ultralaptimers.com

Quick Reply: In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...and