Sponsored by:

In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...and

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

Jack -

Any pictures of this mounted in the 911? I bought mine from Chad a while back (with the 6 ft cable) but never got around to mounting it yet. Looking for ideas on the best way to set it up ....
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I attached the display to the underside of a spare ashtray for the car, which has had its 'face' taken off. Normally, I run a regular ashtray. On track days, I swap in the modified one, which both holds the hotlap display and also reveals my fire system pull.

For the receiver, TRE Motorsports fabricated a mounting system that's very simple. Since my car has a cage, there's a bolting point already in place, I just use a second bolt to attach the receiver to either the driver's or passenger's side, depending on the track.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

I did something similar with my ashtray but had not thought through how to attach the receiver to the car. I also have a full cage and will fabricate something similar to what you did. Mounting it to point out the side window (as opposed to the rear quarter) should also make the 6 ft cord that I have the best solution for me.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the new in car unit from AMB in my race car. It works off the track AMB timing and scoring system - the wire buried in the track at start/finish. Not only does it tell me exactly what time T&S got for me, it also gives me the time between me and the next guy, and race position. The unit contains its sensor and it is a two wire hookup (power and ground). Plus no trackside beacon to leave behind at the end of the weekend.

It's overpriced but it is the best in car timer you can get. See the AMB or Pegasus web pages.

No affiliation, etc.

Steve
356C race
Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve- Have you acutally used the AMB system at a race yet?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I used it at VIR in June. Worked great right out of the box. I understand that Summit Point has recently upgraded their AMB transponder system to work with the new unit.

You may want to call your favorite track and ask if they have upgraded to support this device.

Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 01:53 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm sold on the Ultra Lap, but is the download feature any good and worth the extra $?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Hard to say. I haven't used the lap saving feature yet. But I have a data logger that I use for that sort of thing, and I don't think I've put 2000 laps into the memory of the Ultralap yet.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of these systems' receivers/displays (other than Hot Lap itself) work with a Hot Lap transmitter?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:47 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Ultralap works with either its own transmitter, or with an AIM transmitter. If someone else has set up an AIM transmitter, you can position your Ultralap one to do segment times as well as lap times.

Hotlap works only with Hotlap.

The AMB one is cool, but it only works when the AMB system is being used, and the track has to have the most recent iteration of the AMB software running. It also doesn't work if you to turn your AMB receiver off during practice, which means the other teams are able to track your times whenever you're tracking them. The AMB unit is cool once your racing, but if I bought one (and it is overpriced) I'd still want an Ultralap so that I could check my lap times in practice without letting my next-closest competitor know what kind of times I'll be running.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
The AMB unit is cool once your racing, but if I bought one (and it is overpriced) I'd still want an Ultralap so that I could check my lap times in practice without letting my next-closest competitor know what kind of times I'll be running.
PCA posts sheets after every session with each person's fastest lap, so you can't really fool anyone. You also grid by time, so everyone knows who is fast and who is not.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:04 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Yes, you can. You turn it off until the qualifying session.

In the Open Track Challenge we deliberately controlled when our competitors saw our lap times. I'd hate to have to trade that (admittedly minor) advantage for not be able to know how we were doing during the practice sessions.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Kudos to Jack, and ........

thanks for the timer information. Based on what he has said, it is not that hard to make a decision now, UltraLap for me. I like the idea that it will work off an AIM transmitter...there seem to be plenty of those around...and the AMB, that damn thing is $500, and will only woirk if the saqnctioning body running the event has AMB timing system, and their latest software.

Also, if you care about the "details", you get ambient temp as well as a record of all your times, and they don't hose you extra for a kit to download the info to a PC....with AIM, you pay extra for the connection and the software.

I have an AMB hard wired to the car...I can put in a switch so I can turn it off if needed....however, running the Short Track Series with POC, the best time you post in practice, in the middle three sessions, is you winning time...you have to leave your transmitter on. With PCA and most other groups such as the Alfa Club, you get traditional timed runs...such is life in SoCal.

Also, POC Time Trials...you get Timed Runs so turning off the AMB is a possible tactic, if you are in the points and going after a class win.

If you want a come back story...be certain to read Black Beauty 2 Arises from the Ashes! I have been at the track with Jack...Cali Speedway a few years back..Jack and his trusty steed are mighty quick....great article!

Quick Reply: In Car Timers....I have had HotLap timer...and