Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does one start their kid(s) in karting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How does one start their kid(s) in karting?

I have two kids ages 4 and 6. They have taken swimming lessons, ballet (girl), soccer, t-ball, skating, the list goes on. What are the steps to let them try karting?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a kart and go racing.

OK, just a little simplified.

First thing you want to do is find a track near you. I'm not sure where you are in Jersey, but Oakland Valley Raceway in Cuddebackville, NY is a place I've heard nothing but great things about (I used to race karts in Rochester, NY). Here is a link you'll find interesting:

http://www.ovrp.com/kidProg.html

Even if you don't go to Oakland Valley Raceway, the link should provide good info and a good place to start. If you do go, I'm sure you'll get a lot of help. To there (or some other track) and go talk with people. Buy a pit pass and tell the people selling the pit passes that you are thinking of taking one or more of your kids karting. I'm sure they will guide you to people who can be quite helpful.

If possible, it's always best to go to the track you are thinking of racing at because while basically the same, there are usually little local differences, however minor.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a karting school for kids in jersey, can't recall the name, but do a search it will pop up.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:16 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I started mine five year old this year by buying a cart and taking hime to a huge local church parking lot. He does/did great even in the rain. I was really proud when he slid it sideways, caught it and kept going like nothing happened.

However, when I took him to the track on an open track day he was kinda slow, but i did not know it. The next day I took him for his first race. The other boys were older and were much more experienced and he got lapped after a lap or two and one of the kids hit him and flipped over. My son was fine and the kart not too damaged but the other boy was done for the day, not because of injuries but because of kart damage. My son didn't ask to get his kart out for two months. I did not say much other than I wasn't going to take him back until he's faster. He said the kart "wouldn't go faster". I did not believe him.

Long story short, he finally asked this week to get it out because he wants to race again. I got it out and the clutch is completely shot. Now I am thinking maybe he was going as fast as the kart would go. So...

Having just gone through all of this and feeling guilty for throwing him out there too quickly, my advice is: I'd get a kart or something so you can show your child the way around the track. A radio headset would be good to so you can tell him/her what you are doing. I think how I was at my first DE and I had been driving almost 20 years. Sending a 5 year old out to race was insane without teaching him what was expected. My son learns very quickly by doing/seeing, but I could talk to him all day about what an apex is and he would not get it. If I could take him around, even if it were on my lap he'd pick it up and he'd be telling me, his sister and anyone who'd listen what an apex is and why it is important to hit it right.

Go to a track and hang out. Folks are really nice, the kids will approach yours and tell them all about it and you'll pick up alot of information and each of you will get bitten. Good luck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John H; 07-20-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Slowly, and check if they really enjoy it. I started with my son on an empty track sitting him on my lap and giving him a feel about the steering wheel and some speed. After a few laps I did not need to hold the steering wheel at all. They pick up VERY fast, but you have to make sure they enjoy it. He was 6 years old. He is today 7 yrs old and is currently in the US where he just started his first track days alone, unfortunately I am not there to watch him . He is loving it.

My opinion, they are maybe too young to start competing at less than 7-8 years old, but it depends on their maturity and size, mine lacks the maturity still, he wants to go too fast.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:14 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2 year old daughter on a double seater last week and she loved it. Kept telling me to go faster. Can't see getting her out on her own though until she's at least 4. She still has to get out of diapers!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ditto on what George recommended. The school at OVRP is very good.

A 50cc Bambino is for ages 5-8, 80cc Cadet is for 8-12; both WKA classes.
We have a 4 1/2 year old girl running the past couple of weekends. She is as cute as a button to watch.

My son currently races an 80cc cadet at this track:
http://www.sscnortheast.com/outdoors.html
The physical track is exceptional and a lot of fun to drive....he hit 60mph this weekend, turning about 51 second laps. He is a better driver than I am mechanic!

This is his last season as a cadet, he will be running 125cc Rotax Jr next season, ages 13-16.

He started indoor racing for 2 seasons (after a 2 days school):
www.f1boston.com
and then we bought the outdoor kart and he hasn't looked back since.
We never pushed him, he heard about it, tried it and liked it.
He has since become a very technical driver, reading just about any book he can get his hands on, downloading his data from his Mychron between runs.....and looking at my Cup car a bit differently lately.......hmmn.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

great advice ... now I am planning to let my kids try very soon 4 and 6
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Dr, my son races @ Raceway Park in Englishtown. He is a 12 yr old and runs in Jr. Super Can which is for 12-15 yr olds. They offer a few schools a couple of times a year. You are welcome to come down and see what is all about next time we are there.

Also, endurance karting (www.endurancekarting.com) has a family camp which is a great way for your son to get acquainted with the whole process, ex. equipment, terms etc. They also involve the parents which includes a race. I ran a race last year with them @ Lime Rock, my son and I teaming up. It was a great time and it allowed him to run with the adults. What a bonding experience .

Charlie
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Great advice and insight ITC and others. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

There's an awesome track in Old Bridge NJ (Raceway Park) that I take my son to. They have a well laid out road course and have quite an extensive schedule. There is an independent guy named Keith Raffla that runs Full Tilt Karting. They rent karts, 50cc to 125CC. I purchased a 80cc Top Kart for my 11 year old last year and he's hooked!!!! Came with a Comer engine that's sealed and provides gobs of fun. We get to the track about 3-4 times a month.

Oakland Valley is a great place as well, just a long hike from Central NJ, 2 hours.

Send me a PM if you need more info!

Joe
Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Great thread, I'm wondering about getting my son started with a kart as well. He is 4 and a bit small for his age, so I will probably have difficulty finding something that fits him, probably have to build or modify something. He has great hand/eye coordination probably from playing video games, and it will be interesting to see how/if he can handle a cart.

Of course when I was his age, my father tried to get me to play golf I didn't have any interest, of course, and so now Tiger is where he is and I'm left with a 30 handicap.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Darren,
I would think that your son could be fitted to a 50cc Bambino chassis with simple pedal extentions (and heel lifts) and moving the seat forward a bit.

The 4 1/2 year old girl at my track fits well and after running a session out with my son (lead/follow), was asking her Dad to unscrew the throttle limiter!

Her parents also installed a Chatterbox FRS X2 communicator:
http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/frs_x2.htm
(wireless version of the ones used at most DE's) so they can communicate with simple FRS walkie talkies. I've used one with my son for this past season during practice (not allowed during qualifying and race) and it works remarkably well; our track is quite large, so there are times you can't see them well. Got it from a Chatterbox distributor on eBay for $189.

Another option is SCCA Solo 2 (kart autocross) instead of finding a proper kart road course closeby.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Darren,
Dont' know where Malvern PA is (from your sig), but BeaveRun has a very well setup kart complex (if it's fairly close....it's 500 miles one way from my house)
Old 07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I asked my son this morning if he would be interested in getting a kart and learning to drive, I've never seen such a big smile on the kids face

BeaveRun is a little bit of a hike, I know they have the track at Raceway Park in NJ, which is a bit closer. I've talked to Keith at Full Tilt a couple of times about trying to put together a karting event with a group of 20 or so track buddies. He seemed like a good guy, maybe I'll see if he has anything used I could pick up.

Itc -- thanks for the ideas about the Bambino chassis and the chatterbox, I guess its time to do some research.

Quick Reply: How does one start their kid(s) in karting?