Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does one start their kid(s) in karting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're welcome.
Here is a company out in PA who sells CRG Bambino chassis, parts, etc:
http://www.bergfeltracing.com/kidkarts.html

Here is another company, who basically caters to Bambino/50cc racers:
http://kidkarters.com/
(very nice folks to deal with)

Here is the Chatterbox distributor where I got my son's FRS X2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

I just use a regular Motorola (WalMart, Target, etc) FRS walkie talkie with a headset. I mounted the PTT (included with the FRS X2) on his steering wheel instead of using the VOX.

Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another useful kid karting link/website:
http://www.j1speed.com/

My son was over 10 when he started, so he skipped Bambino and started out in 80cc Cadet class.
As he will be 13 before the start of Daytona KartWeek in December (by 3 days ), this is his last season as a Cadet.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Lewis;

Thanks for the Chatterbox suggestion. I purchased a set-up today that I will use when instructing and when at the kart track with my son.

Joe
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No problem. I think you will like the unit, typical quality Chatterbox stuff.

Here is a headset that I bought for use with the FRS Walkie talkie:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=173528&is=REG

Very lightweight, comfortable, I'm still able to hear out of the other ear. Excellent service from the company as well.

Karting has been quite a learning experience for me, trying to make sure my son doesn't have to worry about anything about driving. So far, so good, he's leading the points.
Let me know if you have any other questions; I'll be glad to help.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Karting has been quite a learning experience for me, trying to make sure my son doesn't have to worry about anything about driving.
That's excellent. No worries is good. But make sure you aren't short changing him of the experience of learning good preparation and all. There is much to be learned prepping a kart and tuning it during a test day.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geo
That's excellent. No worries is good. But make sure you aren't short changing him of the experience of learning good preparation and all. There is much to be learned prepping a kart and tuning it during a test day.
It's strange being transport driver, crew chief, sponsor, car owner, driving coach, pit crew all at the same time. It makes PCA DE seem relaxing.

Bambino and Cadet is pretty much "arrive and drive".....pretty simple karts mechanically. Next step, Jr Rotax, is MUCH more involved in terms of chassis setup.

He has watched/helped me check alignment (laser system), change motors/align sprockets (another laser system), etc.
He is pretty much responsible for cleaning the kart after the race, setting tire pressures (nitrogen), making sure trailer/driver's bag is loaded, etc. He is also responsible for downloading all of his Mychron data and logging engine temp, max RPM (he spends 3/4 of a lap full throttle), laptimes and pyrometer readings (with a little help).
Of course between race driver/crew chief debriefs are often cut short when the other kids show up in the trailer for a wireless PSP game session.....ah, to be a kid again.

Funny, but his mother can't bear to watch, but after adding up this season's kart expenses, she doesn't really complain too much about the Cup car!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe. Ah, the joys.....

I know you're going to cherish the time.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How much is all this going to cost me?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Not near as much as playing with your Porsche!

I know a lot was said about getting your "sons" out there but being a father of three girls, I'm sensitive to their experience. Mine decided to go the one horse power route (jumpers). However, at the two tracks here in J'ville, some of the fastest drivers on the tracks are girls.

Karting is a great way to start that competitive driving experience. I like it when mistakes aren't catastrophic from a repair and physical point of view.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Bambino kart (new) is about $2000 turn key.
Suit, helmet, gloves, neck collar about $600.
Kart stand $200.

(Your local kart store/track often has consignment karts, from those kids who grew up or moved up to a new class/chassis.....which is where mine will likely end up at the end of this season....or eBay).

My son's Cadet was $3700 w/ stock Comer 80 engine (with Tillet padded seat and Mychron3), add $1400 for blueprinted race motor, $300 for electric starter, $750 for suit/helmet, etc, $1000 in misc repairs, parts, sprockets, chains, throttle cables, stuff that just breaks or wears out, $360 for a set of mounted rain tires, $40/slick tire, etc. $5.85/gallon for Sunoco 110 race fuel.

Next step up is a Jr Rotax kart, $6700, spare motor $2500, set of electronic scales and platform for home $1300, new suit/helmet/rib protector $1000 (no, his mother doesn't skimp on safety equipment....it normally goes like "his helmet should cost more than yours, which one is the best?) and lots and lots of tires!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geo
Hehe. Ah, the joys.....
I know you're going to cherish the time.
Actually, it's like the end of the MasterCard commercial.........Priceless.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jupeman -- suprised that you've been doing this stuff so long and still ask how much things cost

The Bambino route seems like a good one, fairly low entry cost and if I wanted to get out of it, I'm sure it has at least a 60-70% resale value.

I'm thinking the hardest part here will be to balance fun with learning/work.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Adding to Lewis's comments;

I purchased a 6 mos old Top Kart w/80cc Komer that had just been blue printed by Woltjer on the West Coast. The kart w/ engine cost $1400.00. New stand was $240.00, suit was $180.00, gloves $20.00, helmet $125.00 and neck collar was $28.00. Becaue my son plays travel hockey and lacrosse we've taken a lower cost approach and his lap times are within 1.3 second of the class winner, without any fuss. He practices and races with the same set of tires and stays with the same gear ratio for all events. We do keep some spares but it's definitely spares. As Lewis mentions, there are plenty of sligtly used karts available for far less than new. You can definitely enter this sport for a nominal sum and still have plenty of fun and success. All the money we save here gives me extra to donate to the rinks we visit nationwide!

Joe
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no point in making things too advanced to kids. Don't kill the fun by getting too technical too quickly.

Btw, this goes for grown-up people too..
Old 07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Adding to Lewis's comments;
I purchased a 6 mos old Top Kart w/80cc Komer that had just been blue printed by Woltjer on the West Coast. Joe
Excellent choice. Woltjer motors are pretty much the standard in competition today. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: How does one start their kid(s) in karting?