Sponsored by:

DE Insurance - this looks good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_77_3.6
I have friends in our PCA region who have had on track whoops that totalled their cars. The insurance companies put up a tremendous fight with lots of private investigator research looking for evidence the car is used in competition or timed events. Auto cross is a timed event and if they find your name published on a list of participants and their times they will claim your car is used in competition and will deny the track event acident claim. One of our members had to hire private counsel and fight it in court. He won but it took about three years to go through the litigation and had to pay out of pocket for a replacement car while the case was being litigated. DE coverage if available in your state makes sense to me as they pay no questions asked. We have had a few members put American Collectors to the test and they paid the claim quickly.

These insurance offerings are really useless to those that compete in auto-x or time trail type events. They will not cover you.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:05 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
Programs > Driver's Education

**They do insure in WA, btw****
I could have swore when I read it earlier today it said not available in WA.
I also spoke to them, as it's the first place I was told about. They said they won't insure a car valued under $20,000.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
jlucas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agio
I have American Bankers DE insurance. Very reasonable. Your declared (but must be reasonable) value, less 20% deductible; unlimited DE events; one year coverage...1.5% of the declared value is the cost. No claims so far, but have heard good things about the company. Hopefully, I never need it.
Do you have a website or contact info? Looking for something to replace my now not available American Collectors

Jeremy Lucas
FastTechLimited.com - DL1 (now at 10Hz), Schroth, etc...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by agio
I have American Bankers DE insurance. Very reasonable. Your declared (but must be reasonable) value, less 20% deductible; unlimited DE events; one year coverage...1.5% of the declared value is the cost. No claims so far, but have heard good things about the company. Hopefully, I never need it.
American Bankers Insurance of Florida is the underwriter for American Collectors Ins.. As such they are not adding new policies and all policies currently in effect will expire upon reaching their respective renewal dates. We are hoping American Collectors finds a new underwriter but I somehow doubt it..

Jlucas, look at your policy... It has an American BAnkers header..
Old 10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
quick
Intermediate

Plesae post any news on whether anyone else is offering similar coverage; I had an ACI DE policy and it paid for me once; without such coverage, I may have to go with a different (cheaper) car.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
bnewport
Racer

If you're an existing american customer then they will let you renew. I renewed mine in August.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes, but after your 2006-2007 renewal is over you are done...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
jlucas
Instructor

So is Laurel the only other choice? I sent them an email yesterday and am awaiting their reply if they do non P-cars.

Jeremy Lucas
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

It looks like the DE link has been removed from Am Collectors. Have they cancelled it?
I'm self-insured anyway. It's great peace of mind.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 PM
jlucas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
Have they cancelled it?
No new policies will be written and existing ones are only good until they expire and they will not be renewed.

Jeremy Lucas
Old 10-05-2006, 12:21 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Guys I use Laurel Consulting Group in Canada, Peter Sereda and David Eppringham, 888-305-4442- laurelcg@mnsi.net.

I do DE's with my wife and do PCA racing myself. We have a '91 C2 964 with $30k of insurance with $6k deduct, cost is $3077 for 30 days DE "or" racing. It would be probably $1500 bucks cheaper, not sure though if it was insured just for DE events.

The deal here is don't over insure the car. I totaled the same exact type car last year at the Porsch Clash and bought another car, same car a '91 964 and had my guy Dan Jacobs, Hairy Dog Garrrrge take everything out of the old car including the motor, trans and all the safety equipment and suspension parts and build my new car for $30k, includes the price of the new car I bought for $13.5 (yea I got it real cheap because the motor was shot, but I didn't want the motor, sold it (core motor)and the tranny for $5k).

Amasingly the cost of building a racecar/trackcar involves a lot of $ in parts that usually are not damaged in a wreck. If anybody needs more info please feel free to pm me.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

From my own experience...

SafeCo covered my off track excursion at Road America to the tune of almost $15k. Took about a week to show that it wasn't a timed event, but they did pay. Then they denied offering me a renewal. I had my American Collectors policy paid up when it happend but figured I would give the normal carrier a go before eating the 20% deductable. Ended up working in my favor. Moving forward I am assuming that should something happen I will have to use the American Collectors policy as more and more carriers are changing their language.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
bnewport
Racer

These threads keep getting bumped up again

Here is a wiki page I'm maintaining with a summary of the information.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Does_...t_the_track%3F

Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't get the link to work. Did anybody else have a problem?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 230ERACER
Amasingly the cost of building a racecar/trackcar involves a lot of $ in parts that usually are not damaged in a wreck.
Yep... that is why my greatest concern is for theft. A bent tub in my 10k race car may only cost me $2500-3000. And that is if need a new cage. I already have a spare tub and if the motor is good... All I need is time, a few parts and new cage.

Quick Reply: DE Insurance - this looks good!