Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,803 Likes on 2,377 Posts

i may be wrong, but...
DE specific insurance is a good bet..
if you depend on your "normal ins" it's always a bit nebulous and your policy can be interepreted MANY ways, it's a matter of who's lawyer is more powerful. and i would hate to find out after i plastered my GT3 on a wall then find out that i am not covered, covered but will be dropped and black marked, or blah blah.....
Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Insurance Industry LOVES that "I might Lose" paranoia.

In reality, if you have a clean record and have been a good long-term policy holder, and assuming the event is not specifically excluded from your policy, you will be covered after a letter or two letting them know that you don't run from a fight. The specific car and/or activity may be excluded after the fact, but dropping you totally is unlikely if you meet the first two criteria stated above.....nor is it legal in most States.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Bob -
That would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. "They will screw you so bad you won't know which way is up" is a more realistic scenario. Here is my feeling -

1. Take a chance if you can walk away from the car and say "oh well"
2. Insure the car with specific coverage
3. Don't insure the car, "trust" in what is right

For me, I am going to run a car that I CAN walk away from AND am insuring it with American for loss and Safeco for liability when running road tests (it is registered in CT).
Old 07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess what I am trying to say to you guys is this. If you pay $600 to $1200 a year as a premium for the American Collector's insurance, and it only cover's DE's ( not timing like time trails or wheel to wheel racing), and you have to pay 20% of the agreed upon value for the deductable upon a claim, that can be anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 for most of your cars as I like at your avatars. How many of you see accidents in DE's? How many of you run your cars are 10/10ths at a DE? If you hit something what do you think the cost of the repair will be?

Well it does not take long to get to $10,000 but most of the accidents I have seen are around $10,000 to $20,000 when it is all said and done. BTW, I have seen 5 in the past two years and 4 out of 5 were in racing/time trails not DE's. So you pay $600 to $1200 or so a year premium (depending upon your car value) and crash your car and you pay about $10,000 to $20,000 out of pocket to fix it for the deductable and maybe the insurance carries a few thousand above that because the damage is rarely more than that. So what is the benefit of that?

The benefit is only if you really total the car. If you really total the car, you better be worrying more about whether you live rather than if someone is going to cover your car repairs because obviously you were driving way above your car or your driving ability to destroy a car with limited safety equipement. The reason I say this is because few DE'ers have enough safety equipement to protect them in a serious crash, which comes back to "do you drive 10/10ths at a DE?". If not what do you need to worry about since you should not be hitting anything anyway, right?

Too me that insurance policy is false security, particularly on high price cars like GT3's. And yes, to answer one of your questions, I would insure my car value at about $70,000 given what i have into, and that is for a 993 non-turbo, but I do not because I do not think there is value in this insurance.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

For a few hundred dollars it certainly is worth it to me, and my car will be "survivable" in a crash because thats the way my builder makes them.. and the next week I am shopping for a new track car.. The more the car is worth the more sense it makes to me, but it's only my opinion...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
You need to read your policy again as I already went through this with liberty mutual when a drunk driver hit me in the door. They tried to drop me because my car looked like it was "modified for speed and acceleration". And that was with witnesses and a police report. They also have a clause stating that they will not pay for repairs unless you are on a public road when the accident occurs. That eliminates race tracks, they told me that directly! You are kidding yourself if you think they will pay....they have clauses for every situation, and if by chance they do pay, they will drop you in a heart beat and it will be difficult to get a decent rate for your next policy.

regarding the american collectors, they have a fairly high deductable like 10 or 20% as I recall and the premium was around $1500 to $2000 a year. I figured after driving my car on the track for the past 7 years I saved about $14,000. If I have an accident, then I need to pay the piper.

As they say, if you are not prepared to loose your car then don't enter the track!
I have filed and had paid a DE claim with Liberty Mutual. It took letters, patience, and about two months. My prior record was clean. They did not drop me or the car. In fact, the Porsche's rate went down this year.

They raised the rate on my Ford. Go figure.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the american policy on my SC race car, and set the value at 35K. The main reason I bought the policy is for theft. I store it in an enclosed trailer at a rental facility. No deductable on theft, and is covered where I store it, and when it is at a track overnight

For those of you who tow your cars, even street cars, check your policy. My truck and trailer are covered by state farm, but if I am in an accident, the car in the trailer is not.

One thing to think about, american does not cover fire. If you see your car on fire, run it into a wall before you get out, then you can argue timing later.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They must think we are stupid stupid stupid.

Have been usiing American Collectors for a couple years now nice people no claims yet.

Sure did help me relax again after that one and one half gainer at Sebring a while back.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just switched from Liberty Mutual to State Farm and trailer my car on an open trailer to DE's. How can the car not be covered? Because you are not driving it?

Originally Posted by MarkM

For those of you who tow your cars, even street cars, check your policy. My truck and trailer are covered by state farm, but if I am in an accident, the car in the trailer is not.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bob -
That would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. "They will screw you so bad you won't know which way is up" is a more realistic scenario......
Only if you let them! And, they count on the fact that you will.

However, I have believed since the '70s that you should only bring a car to the track that you can afford to walk away from and leave it there. In fact, I wouldn't go to a serious track event if I wasn't ready to NOT walk away.....

But, if I did, I would put up a hell of a fight over the car if it was insured. Unfortunately, the only car I have totally lost at a track was a full race car, not insured....but, oh well!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State Farm covered my wreck at a PCA Road America DE. They were excellent from start to finish.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
You need to read your policy again as I already went through this with liberty mutual when a drunk driver hit me in the door. They tried to drop me because my car looked like it was "modified for speed and acceleration". And that was with witnesses and a police report. They also have a clause stating that they will not pay for repairs unless you are on a public road when the accident occurs. That eliminates race tracks, they told me that directly! You are kidding yourself if you think they will pay....they have clauses for every situation, and if by chance they do pay, they will drop you in a heart beat and it will be difficult to get a decent rate for your next policy.

regarding the american collectors, they have a fairly high deductable like 10 or 20% as I recall and the premium was around $1500 to $2000 a year. I figured after driving my car on the track for the past 7 years I saved about $14,000. If I have an accident, then I need to pay the piper.

As they say, if you are not prepared to loose your car then don't enter the track!
hmmm. I better be careful then on the track
Considering my GT3 accounts for only $650 anually, DE insurance seems kinda of expensive, especially when you are doing only 3-6 total track days/year....
Thanks for the heads up...I will drive my car like I am the insurance company...
Old 07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I just switched from Liberty Mutual to State Farm and trailer my car on an open trailer to DE's. How can the car not be covered? Because you are not driving it?
for liablity(3rd party), it's covered, but for damage, I would imagine the car in tow is considered cargo (inland Marine) which is excluded under the personal automobil policy. You need to get a floater policy or a rider to the existing policy for the car to be insured for physical damage while in tow...
Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Insurance companies spend a lot of time and money coming up with the exact language that they find will scare people away from even making a claim.....it is their first line of NO! Many people reinforce their belif with their actions, or lack thereof!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Are there any companies that cover Virginia? I need paddock, storage and transport coverage for my C2T track car.

Quick Reply: DE Insurance - this looks good!