Sponsored by:

Moton CS DA vs. JRZ Motorsport....Spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Moton CS DA vs. JRZ Motorsport....Spring

I have been looking around for double adjustable shocks and have spoken to Joe Stimola about Motons and JRZ....he thinks tha the JRZ DA Motorsport shock is the exact same as the Moton DA Motorsport shock...

these are race shocks one step up from the Moton CS DA.....the JRZ Race shock DA is not that much more money over the Moton CS DA.

What is the difference between Moton Club Sport DA and the real JRZ or Moton race shocks .....were is the extra money going?

As far as springs Joe thinks that with the Race Shocks you do not need to change to very stiff rated springs.....

There are allot of choices in shocks and springs.

What kind of spring rates would you recomend for dual use ...leaning towards track use.

Some recomend spring rates....
450fr 680 r
600 fr 800 r

is there a big difference with 100lbs of spring rate...it does not sound like much.

Last edited by Z06; 07-14-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

100# in spring rate is quite a bit of difference.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a point of reference, the Ohlins shocks which are on a number of endurance cars, including Le Mans ones, are sufficiently adjustable to be OK on the street.
Combine these with Ti springs from Hypercoil and you have a real race setup thast is streetable. Several suppliers will let you swap springs if the ones you selected are too soft / too firm. I like Hypercoil because their weights are very accurate and their tolerances tight.
With some reputable suppliers, you may think you are switching to a softer spring but the tolerances are so wide that you have actually gone to a firmer spring, the oppositre of what you intended. Even quite small race teams need their own test rigs.
Now if Cary would jus come up with those end pieces that last for 24 hours....
R+C
Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Just make sure if you are changing the shocks intended application or spring rate that you are having it valved properly.

We're developing Ohlins systems right now for BMW's, and they are an amazing shock.

We will be rebuilding them soon as well, with an in house dyno and in house software to develop what spring rates and dampening ratios to use.

www.roadracetech.com
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What kind of car are these going on?
While I certainly don't claim to know more than Joe, I did not like my car with spring rates like what you listed. Over 1000lbs and the car performed much better.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Greg,

They are going on my Street GT3.... so you would recomend over 1000lbs...one of the GT3 has the Motons CS with 750/1000 springs and he is very happy.
I realy don't now anything about spring choices...and what it will do...i just here about it been to stiff.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For a streetable car I don't think I would go over 1000lbs. I thought it was a track only car.
For dual purpose I thinkn in the 700lb range would be fine. How much of a split is up to you, conventional wisdom is around 150-200lbs
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Whether you choose Moton, JRZ or Ohlins, your shock supplier should be able to set you up with the appropriate springs for your application and usage, taking into account your driving experience and local road conditions....
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Steve
Just out of curiousity, what is your spring rate recommendation for 3 way Moton Motorsports and a 2760 lb 964 Cup for pure racing use on DOTs ?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

My car only runs on DOT R tires as well....as much as I drive it on the street it's main purpose is at the track...so what ever setup I get will lean more towards track use.

Steve W,
What's the difference between a Moton CS and the Moton/JRZ Motorsport shock?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:56 AM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

We've talked to Lex Carson (Moton US Sales Director), his comments were the # of adjustments (7 rebound/compression vs 15/16) and swivel fittings. Wider adjustment range is the key for DA.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

In addition to the points mentioned, the triple adjustables offer alloy bodies as opposed to the steel bodies of the DA Club Sports.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

One of the JRZ partners created Moton, Jerome, the "J" in JRZ.
They are very similar quality, the Moton CS are two way adjustable and more than enough for any amateur racer I believe.
I have 800-1000lbs springs on my Moton, while great on the track or fast driving, they are not drivable on the street, they break your back if you are above 20 yrs. old and not driving on the autobahn.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
My car only runs on DOT R tires as well....as much as I drive it on the street it's main purpose is at the track...so what ever setup I get will lean more towards track use.

Steve W,
What's the difference between a Moton CS and the Moton/JRZ Motorsport shock?
The Clubsports have 7 adjustments of bump and 7 of rebound. The rear shocks are steel and non-swivel fittings are used.

Motorsport shocks have 14 adjustments of bump and 15 of rebound. The range is identical!!! Only the resolution is different. The rear shocks are alloy and full-swivel fittings are used.

CarreraCup 21;

Spring recommendations MUST take into account the skill and experience of the driver.

Stiff springs require a really good driver to stay on top of the car at the limits as the car is far more subtle in its "communication" with the driver.

Softer springs are more forgiving and communicative for those who are not on their game, yet,...

IMHO, Moton's quality/durability surpasses JRZ and for that reason alone, its a better choice for most people.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Another reason for favouring the Ohlins set up, apart from the racing cred, is the ability to have a 'lifting collar' fitted to the front shocks, so that you can raise a low front for negotiating ramps, traffic calming bumps, and suchlike. This is used by Ruf with success and is much better than the system used by a well brand of Italian cars.
The guys at Stasis know a lot about Ohlins, worth a chat with them if you are around Sonoma. They are not a Porsche shop but Ohlins do a specific kit for roadgoing GT3s using race components.
I have no connections with either Stasis or Ohlins, just know a lot of people who are happy with Stasis and am a happy customer of Ohlins myself.
R+C

Quick Reply: Moton CS DA vs. JRZ Motorsport....Spring