Sponsored by:

"I Was Seventh" - A Funny Race Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Cars don't have banged up fenders because the guys that own them aren't rich.... they have banged up fenders because they crashed into something.
True. So true.

Similarly, car's don't have 'clean' fenders just because the guys that own them ARE rich -- some 'clean' fenders have actually NOT HIT anything!

I don't club race, (but I play a club racer on TV!), but it seems that PCA racers have a stigma attached to them that they are rich, and if they bang up their cars, they just whip out the wallet and fix it. I do not think that is the case! While Porsches aren't a cheap car by any means, it doesn't mean Porsche owners are rich snobs that repair everything 'at all costs.' I think the club racers are probably the most hard-core Porsche owners, and as such, are very 'price aware' of the costs of racing period.

Now Ferrari racers, on the other hand....

My $0.42,
-Z.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know about SCCA, but in PCA everybody is placed single file on the false grid in order of position. The pit workers have a list of position by car number and it is checked twice, and the driver should also confirm. This all occurs at least 10 minutes before you are waived out, so if there is any question about proper positioning it should be resolved well before you go out.

If you're smart, you'll get there 15 or 20 minutes beforehand to give yourself plenty of time.

However, once you are waived out on the track and placed by the splitter, that's your spot. Period. If you are doing a rolling start, trying to change your grid position after that is dangerous.

As was pointed out, this guy's mistake was trying to be polite. People are not expecting you to be polite in racing. Being polite is dangerous. (BTW... giving competitors racing room, not blocking, opening the door for lapping cars etc is not "polite" it is just safe, competent racing).

BTW... great film and glad the guy went on to greater things.... maybe there is hope for me...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man

but it seems that PCA racers have a stigma attached to them that they are rich, and if they bang up their cars, they just whip out the wallet and fix it.

Z

I think the correct statement is that PCA Club Racers USED to be rich...
Old 07-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
As was pointed out, this guy's mistake was trying to be polite. People are not expecting you to be polite in racing. Being polite is dangerous. (BTW... giving competitors racing room, not blocking, opening the door for lapping cars etc is not "polite" it is just safe, competent racing).
I have to admit I'm not sure why he signalled like that or the significance of the hand signal in terms of meaning. Did he merely gesture that the other car was to go before him but the track official thought he was having problems and did not want to go??

Marc
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Z

I think the correct statement is that PCA Club Racers USED to be rich...

Again, so true! In my case, it would read, "Z-man, PCA DE participant WOULD be rich....in an unrelated note, a successful hostile takeover of Miscrosoft is in the works, headed by Z-man's Porsche mechanic...."

-Z.

PS: My apologies to my mechanic for even suggesting they would be involved in a hostile takeover of a software company....

Last edited by Z-man; 07-11-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We're getting a bit off-thread here, but If you already have a Porsche, PCACR is very cost effective.

Its not that PCA drivers are rich... more like rich guys race in PCA... if you are 50 years old, own a successful company, work 60 hours a week, and want to spend a few weekends a year racing, PCA is a perfect environment. Lets face it, if you can afford a Cup Car, why race an RX-7? Its not their fault they have $$$.

IMHO, the PCA racers are the least snobby bunch of folks you can find. The attitude is very much one of relaxing, having fun and hanging out with bunch of other car nuts. For the most part they are friendly, always willing to stop and BS, and I have never felt like am am being judged based on my means (obviously meagre) or car (a bit on the shabby side) and will jump in to help if you have a problem.

You want to talk money... look at the budgets of the Guys who race SCCA at the National Level... whew!

Quick Reply: "I Was Seventh" - A Funny Race Video