Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zytek Management system-info please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 08:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Zytek Management system-info please...

I'm looking at an older 930 race car to play with, and it has a Zytek engine management system. Does anyone have any info on them and whether they still support the product?

Thanks in advance.....
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Speak with Norm Goldrich, he is struggling with his. I believe that Mode Engineering (Bob Holcombe) does or did installations with them and could probably answer your questions.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Speak with Norm Goldrich, he is struggling with his. I believe that Mode Engineering (Bob Holcombe) does or did installations with them and could probably answer your questions.
Thanks Geoffrey,
I spoke with Bob yesterday and he said that while it was a great system in it's time, it's older now and unsupported. He said he won't build a engine for it anymore and that he prefers Motec.

Anyone else???
Old 07-02-2005, 02:56 AM
GTP993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob is 100% right, although we have one client running a Zytek system(tuned by Bob) and he's happy with it, the only downfall with Zytek is that its not as user friendly as Motec. The features on the motec systems can be enabled to log data and use it for tuning of the motor, by the user. We have a M48 unit for sale, which produced nearly 400hp on a 3.8 Normally Aspirated engine. We also prefer motec over zytek.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:57 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I do prefer MoTeC, but of course I'm biased. Switching engine management systems is not an inexpensive proposition. The issues you'll face is trying to support the Zytek if the engine is not running properly, or if you change the engine configuration in the future.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR Gordon,

As Geoffrey mentioned, I do have a Zytek setup. It works well, and are actually still supported by Zytek in the UK. I have the contact info for the lead manager for these MR series ECU which yours is most likely. They have not made the MR series in a few years, however, they will still make you an interface for about $3500 to be able to program it. But you have to have the original programming diskette. Unlike the newer EDUs where you can extract the maps and programming and save them, with Zytek, you must have the diskette to start with, then you can change settings. If you dont have the diskette, you have to send them the ECU so they can create one...

That being said I will be switching to Motec eventually so I can adjust if I need. It is not worth investing in the adapter for this older technology. Zytek makes great quality - even used to make F1 ecus I believe.

My other cars used Motec and I never had any problems with them either. Very reliable...

Norm
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Norm, Geoffrey, and GTP. You've collectivelly confirmed all that I've learned about their system. If I buy the car I will have to budget for a move over to Motec. This is a MODE engine and Bob Holcombe stated that he won't rebuild it without converting over to Motec. Thanks again for all the collective wisdom.....
Well I guess I'll just have to negotiate......

Quick Reply: Zytek Management system-info please...