Ultrashield Road Race SS vs LtWt Road Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my experences with ultra shield

Hi all
I ordered the most upright angle, as I like to sit up and I have short arms.
Ultra-shield assured me RE Hans fit. As a semi custom I did as instructed and sat on floor back against a wall and measured floor to shoulder, floor to jaw line and floor to eye line. With the idea of making sure the head restrains would be at the right level.
The seat arrived with inadequate IE no Hans clearance and head restraint to high to see my side rear view mirrors. In fact without the Hans sitting with my head/neck in my natural position the back of my helmet was brushing the seat back. They showed 0 interest in correcting the problems for me. Luckily I had ready access to an aluminum fab. man in Bill Pfister from Eurotech so we dove in and fixed it which of course cost me.
Overall the seat is well built and I like it now the “rough edges” have been corrected. I do not like having the square corners near my head but we have them well padded with HI Density foam. I wish I had a photo with helmet all strapped in but don’t.
I sent a full set of photos of modifications to Ultra-shield which they did not acknowledge.
If like me you like/need the more upright seat angel I would anticipate modifications and having an upholstery shop make up a new cover for padding
Old 07-03-2005, 12:34 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris -

No problem, and yes indeed this stuff is extremely complicated. However, if I can figure it out, there is hope for all!

You raise another good point - seat mods. This stuff gets so very techincal. Having the option of modifying a seat without compromising its integrity is a great asset when trying to optimize a setup. That is the big reason why I prefer alloy seats.

Bill -

GREAT! Glad you caught this thread. I was hoping you would chime in. You do indeed suffer from one aspect that makes seat positioning most difficult - short arms. When you add an H&N system, you throw in a LOT of difficulties that do not otherwise exist. In fact, the more sophiticated your equipment, the more exponential the tailoring necessary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly enough, I myself have had tremendous reach issues, but for the opposite reason - head room. I too like to sit very upright, and have gradually gravitated to liking to be fairly close to the wheel for increased leverage. I wear a 37" sleeve, but could not reach the wheel either. Sounds rediculous, but because I am also 6'5" tall, I had to tip the seat back to get head room. As a result, my arms were nearly completely extended.

I redid all the seat mounting points; removing the stock mounting holes and fabricating new ones that have the seat virtually on the floor pan. I even gutted my sunroof and cut out some of the webbing around the front edge. I also have no sun visors. Still this was not enough to give me head room, upright position, and reach.

In the end, the thing that made everything work was an extended hub steering wheel. I added a full 2.5" to my removeable hub adapter which allowed me to sit back farther and still reach the wheel.

As an aside, I am going to post this thread URL to Ultrashield. I am a little disturbed that they did not respond to your dilema, Bill. Companies need to know that there is a lot going on out here in the real world!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:51 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am lucky. My seat fit perfectly from the start. I have to state that I am slightly hunched (used to be a guitar player in a previous life) and that may be why the HANS fits. I also had to mount the seat on the floorpan and gutted the roof. I am only 6'1" but had trouble sitting upright. Now I fit great.

Quick Reply: Ultrashield Road Race SS vs LtWt Road Race