Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F1 Rule Changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to watch a bunch of spec cars on spec tires in a series that focuses on cutting down expenses why not just watch DP cars?

As I have said before, I know nothing of racing history but I think F1 cars are supposed to be the fastest most advanced cars around. I say let the room full of engineers watch graphs and numbers in search of that extra .001 second, tinker with wings and everything... not only are they amazing to watch but the technology they develop will hopefully some day become toys for normal people. There already are plenty of other series that are bare bones driver skill focused.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One way of limiting top speed (which most drivers claim is dangerous), is to limit aero devices and/or engine power. If a way could be found to do either, then some might say this resembles a spec series. However, the difference would still be in the amount of mechanical grip a car can muster and the skill of the driver to take what is given and put to his advantage.

Given some arbitrary % reduction in aero devices and number of cylinders will not reduce speed or cost. There's always development to maximize the effect.

Here's one idea for aero limit. Besides a limit in front and rear wing area, limit the number of boards, fins, splitters or other protrusions from a basic bodywork sillouette (let's say 6 arbitrarily) and limit the total square area of those attachments to X square feet. When they work within confines of a rule they can design and maximize all they want. The result might be similar body shapes, but it's still the innovative team that will prevail, not too different from what it is now - to the average fan. I think people are more interested in a good show rather than similarly-shaped chassis as long as the machines have their usual team colors and sponsor logos tatooed as now. When you define aero limits, you can better control top speeds. Max. vehicle velocity means a limit of sorts in how much engine power is needed (to a point; acceleration is always a goal). The difference again reverts to mechanical grip and the best use of it by the driver.

Defining limits in this way is no different than the current rules for maximum/min. weight, wheelbase, track, wheel and tire size and min./max. height and length as it is now.

MHO,
Sherwood

Quick Reply: 2008 F1 Rule Changes