costs importing a race car

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default costs importing a race car

So if you see a Porsche race car in Germany and make a deal, what does the shipping and other costs look like?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill
I've sent you a message

R+C
Old 06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I am sure Nordschleife has giving you all the right numbers. Just in case you would like a second opinion, contact Joel Reiser "jmreiser", he has imported from Germany too. It should not be too bad as it is not a street car.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks guys
Old 06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bill,
Here is an excerpt from our very own EPA Automotive Imports Facts Manual, Section B, Subsection 1d, regarding race car import:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

d. Racing vehicle

The vehicle has in general been extensively modified for racing, and is incapable of safe and practical street or highway use because it lacks features associated with safe and practical street or highway use, such features including, but not being limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or safety features required by state and/or Federal law. Anyone may import a racing vehicle without a Customs bond required by EPA; however, written EPA approval must be obtained before clearance at Customs.

Requirements

You must first receive EPA's approval. Not all vehicles used in races are excluded from emissions compliance. Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle, not its intended use. Importer must submit the following information when applying:

importer's name, address, and daytime telephone number;
vehicle information (make, model, model year and VIN);
a list of racing features (features that make the vehicle a racing vehicle);
a list of street features lacking (features that have been removed or have never been installed that would permit safe driving on streets or highways);
at least 4 photographs showing the front, rear, and each side view; and if a vehicle with an interior, photographs of the interior;
the name of the sanctioning body and competition class;
a schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where the vehicle will participate;
a copy of the competition racing license; and
other proof that the vehicle cannot be used on streets and highways, such as a letter from a state's Department of Motor Vehicles that explains the vehicle cannot be licensed for use on public roads, and explains why it cannot be licensed.
Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "L" and attach EPA letter of approval; and

Importer should keep a copy of the EPA approval letter for future proof of EPA exclusion.

Restrictions

Vehicle may not be registered or licensed for use on or operated on the public roads or highways; and

If an imported racing vehicle is subsequently converted to a motor vehicle and registered or licensed for street use, the converter may be considered a manufacturer of a new motor vehicle and subject to a penalty of $25,000 per day for failing to meet EPA emission requirements.

IIRC last time I checked, shipping estimates were about $1000 USD for a drive on/drive off method or about $2500 for a 20' container (no drive on/drive off issues).
Old 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill;

As I recall, the air freight bill was somewhere around $5-6k, and the EPA/DOT waivers and other assorted customs and broker fees and paperwork were another $3-4. 2002 numbers. This was for a Cup Car from the Fatherland. This transaction was smooth as silk.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you're in no rush, the enclosed container is half as much as the air frieghting. The car is placed into a container, photographed before and after and sent to you digitally. another guy with a lot of knowledge is Steve Patti, we almost bought a 964cup abroad, but the exchange rates sucked at the time (worse now!)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

~$1000 on board ship insured to East Coast from German port. Plus costs to get it to and from the ports on both sides.

2.5% of declared value import duty for a racing car never to be licensed for road use.

$500 or so for a broker to handle the import papers, the bond, the port charges. Less if you clear it yourself through customs, but don't try this.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. As pointed out the exchange rate has not rebounded and race cars without big histories are a deal right here in the US. So... I am in LUV with a beauty that I found today. 1974 RSR 14" rear slicks, will they make my butt look big? 2000 lbs... oh baby. 3.4 375hp...sweeeeet

I hate the color but GTP has plenty of speed yellow paint in stock!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Jase007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in LUV with a beauty that I found today. 1974 RSR 14" rear slicks, will they make my butt look big? 2000 lbs... oh baby. 3.4 375hp...sweeeeet
These are available stateside ... as you know .

Jason
Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,

you are soooo right. Only 968 miles away!

Quick Reply: costs importing a race car