Sponsored by:

1990 Carrera Cup on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Alan Noveck has done high 2:10's in his D class US Cup at WG, and Bob has done some low 2:06's in GTC1. Bob and Jeff are both among the most accomplished and experienced racers in PCA and that also likely accounts for a big chunk of the lap time differences between the 2 versions.
Makes sense. I can see how slicks + 200lbs + some driver difference could easily be 4 seconds at the Glen (although from my vantage point Alan seemed pretty darn quick!).
Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2005 a rules change made it possible for USA Cups to run in GTC1 in full (Andial Spec) race trim. I am not aware of anyone making the switch. It would be nice to see them there. They have an "unfair advantage" in "D".

Further, GTC1 should not be running wings. This is my pet peeve but I'm not inclined to make a big deal about it.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC ,I think there was a US Cup running GTC1 at Sebring and qualified about 2-3 seconds faster than me. I think the US Cups are a fast D car, but they are also allowing the Euro 964 RS in D which is the same thing. Also the 944 Turbo Cups run in D, and are even faster than the US Cups by a pretty good margin ( 2:09 at WG in 04, and 2:26's at Sebring in 05 ), if you can keep one running that is. I think "unfair" might be a strong word especially when 5 show up for a race with 12 D cars total, but they are great competitive cars in the class. I would personally rather run in D than GTC1 given the extra cost for slicks and fewer cars to run against. If I was going to run GTC1, I would rather have a Euro version.

Colin, Don't get me wrong, Alan is very quick in that car. He is likely getting just about what it will do.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I have met the owner of this car, and rode in it as well at roebling road. If its the same guy, he is a local citrus club member, and at the time was just contemplating club racing with it. From what I remember, he was a pretty good driver, and the car was really nice. Sid Collins (troysport) is also a very good mechanic.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill, Does you car have the roll bar tubes in the engine bay? I have a steel matter cage that goes through the fire wall into the engine bay. the tubes that connect to the suspension are FACTORY. Is that what you are refering to with the cage welding differences? ALso since this is FACTORY ... PCA club racing allows it in D class ... but you can not recreate it makes a C2 with the same setup. This is my understanding after talking to the club racing rulkes commitee. The reasoning for this according to them was that they dont want you to cut up your factory cup car to make a class. ALso COlin, The 25 cars that went to Andial had the tubes that go through the fire wall .... the 20 that stayed in the warehouse do not. Colin there were a total of 45 us cups .. 25 converted to race cars.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
Bill, Does you car have the roll bar tubes in the engine bay? I have a steel matter cage that goes through the fire wall into the engine bay. the tubes that connect to the suspension are FACTORY. Is that what you are refering to with the cage welding differences? ALso since this is FACTORY ... PCA club racing allows it in D class ... but you can not recreate it from a C2 with the same setup.... not legal. This is my understanding after talking to the club racing rules commitee. The reasoning for this according to them was that they did not want you to cut up your factory cup car to make a class. ALso Colin, The 25 cars that went to Andial had the tubes that go through the fire wall .... the 20 that stayed in the warehouse do not. Colin there were a total of 45 us cups .. 25 converted to race cars.
The US cups are also heavier ... they had a few things that make them heavier for US DOT regs. I think if Scotto or Berger drove my car .... as is ... they would be pretty damn fast!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, the Euro Cups have the cage fully welded to multiple points inside the cabin like the roof ect. I have the posts in the enginebay, but my cage is not welded the same as the Euro inside the cabin.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Bill, Ah makes sense.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Andy:

The post in the engine department was a standard for the Euro Cups, as well as welding the front part of the cage to the windshield pillars. You car does not have that. Although strange, neither of my 993 Supercup have the post cut through the fire wall in the rear. I wonder if that is because of the new suspension for the 993 or maybe that part of the cage through the firewall didn't make the car as rigid as they originally thought.

Also, I am feel good about the original converstaions about Alan. He is very quick in his car. When I had the 03 US Carrera Cup, Alan and I ran within thousands of a second of each other every race. If you want a true competitive car that is equal to the others, these 964 and 993 Cup are the way to go.
By the way, I met Tom at Roebling when he first bough that car, it is really a neat car. It would make someone a great PCA Club car.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Hey Jim/Bill. Interesting stuff. Alot of nuances with these cars. I guess thats whats makes them special. I wonder why the 993 cup did not have the post through the fire wall. I would bet that it does not make the frame that much stiffer ... and/or the 993 cup had stiff enough rear ends as is.

Quick Reply: 1990 Carrera Cup on eBay