Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panaramic rear-view mirror choices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Panaramic rear-view mirror choices?

I am looking for a wide rear-view mirror that will attach to the existing OEM, I was only able to find the following model, is anyone using these ?, is there any other choices out there? and it says it fits on a roll bar ????Is there any that will fit around the existing rear-view mirror

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/lr_22530.htm.
Thanks
Jeeva
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

They make that mirror with an attachement that clips to the stock mirror. IMO, the longacre mirror is superior to the "wink" mirror which has a set of 4 or 5 mirror panels set at an angle. Check the longacre website. I am sure Paragon can get you the clip on model. The above mirror also comes with a roll bar attachment (the one I use) The mirror when set up properly is excellent for seeing the car diving inside on the pass side. Even with my HANS and winged SPG pro racer seat I have a great view of what is going on behind and on the side of me
Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You want the one from I/O Port Racing. It clips onto the existing mirror. The 17-inch model eliminates blind spots on both sides. It takes a little getting used to (objects in the mirror are closer than they appear), but is so good I now use it for both street and track driving.

Smartest twenty bucks I ever spent.

Click here to see it.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeeva,

Interestingly enough, I've tried all three of these mirrors. When I bought my car, it the wink mirror and took it off - I thought it was a piece of junk and I found it a bit difficult to actually keep track of cars because of the multiple mirror panels.
I then bought one of the I/O Port mirrors with the intention of mounting it to my OE mirror but found that it wouldn't clear the cross bar for my race cage. So, it want back...
So, I then bought the Longacre mirror and I really like it - I can see whatever is directly by me and also see a car that is off my right rear quarter. To me, this is the best choice.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 06-05-2005, 07:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I went with an Allview Racing MIrror:
http://www.allviewmirror.com/racing.htm
http://www.allviewmirror.com/pdf/ram.pdf

It is mounted to the rollbar across the top/front. NO vibration.
Single panel glass, EXCELLENT visibility to the rear and right side, even with a ProRacer SPG seat with H&N, as Eric said.
IIRC, I paid $70 or so.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Lewis,
Is it really shatterproof?? I have cracked 3 longacre mirrors as my cockpit is pretty tight. Does the mounting hardware allow the mirror to be adjusted forward on the bar and still be on a straight plane?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:33 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

Like Jack, I also use an I/O Port mirror on my street/track SC. I always had problems changing lanes on the street (esp. left) with my harnesses on. The mirror helps considerably to see quarters/blind spots, and attached in about 2 minutes over the OEM mirror. I also added panoramic mirrors on the outside, which also help. ioportracing.com

Jeeva--I have felt the need to reconsider safety issues and ordered an ISAAC on Saturday. Don't know if I'll have it before Sebring on the 18th, but I know I'll feel better using it when I do receive it...

Regards, Doug
Old 06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts
Arrow

I've got this for sale if you are interested - I made it with the longacre 17in mirror shown in the first post, attached to a mirror base with no original mirror in it. It allows you to use it without a cage; even if you have a cage it lets it mount far forward which is nice
Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmw44
Jeeva--I have felt the need to reconsider safety issues and ordered an ISAAC on Saturday. Don't know if I'll have it before Sebring on the 18th, but I know I'll feel better using it when I do receive it...

Regards, Doug
Cool, I also thought Isaac is the H&N with the least undesiarable things and placed my order in today....my next DE is on the wknd. of the 18th as well, I spoke to Greg Baker and he said they may have to order it in and may take up to 4 wks. but he said it could come in sooner, we'll see....
With the mirror it's a choice between I/O-port (I really like there camera mount) or the longacre, sounds like they are both good products. I'll talk to the reps and see whether they'll fit a 996 rearview mirror, or does anyone know whether they'll fit all rear-view mirrors.
Thanks
Jeeva

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 06-05-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Garret, thanks for the offer but I'll still like to remove it when needed. Besides the $20 IO port mirror is so cheap, I might as well get the new one.
Thanks
Jeeva
Old 06-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
You want the one from I/O Port Racing. It clips onto the existing mirror. The 17-inch model eliminates blind spots on both sides. It takes a little getting used to (objects in the mirror are closer than they appear), but is so good I now use it for both street and track driving.

Smartest twenty bucks I ever spent.

Click here to see it.
Jack, it's rather difficult to tell from the pictures whether the I/O port would clamp on to any rear-view mirror, like my 996, and as you own one could you tell whether it will,
Thanks
Jeeva
Old 06-05-2005, 09:17 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes it will work with any mirror.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one from BSR in Charlotte that looks like the Longacre an dmount to the rool cage. Very stable at speed and gives a great wide angle view behind you. I couldn't go back.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

No sweat Jeeva!

I use an Isaac, and I got the mirror because I was worried I could not see the right-side mirror, but the Isaac is great because I can still turn enough to see the right side mirror; and that Longacre mirror gives me ZERO depth perception, which is difficult for me in wheel-to-wheel racing where it's tight sometimes!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Yes it will work with any mirror.
Cool, with 20 bucks I could'nt go wrong so I placed an order....well 20 bucks till I saw the pyrometer , oh well.

Garret, there is no wheel to wheel for me...atleast not yet , just for situational awareness at all times, ....with the roll bar I've got a bigger blind spot now and really can't see a thing to my right, so it should help.

Quick Reply: Panaramic rear-view mirror choices?