Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Believe it or not- JC Whitney $10.00!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000218469
Old 06-05-2005, 10:24 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Why did you have to post that, John!? I spent $35 for my mirror!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Lewis,
Is it really shatterproof?? I have cracked 3 longacre mirrors as my cockpit is pretty tight. Does the mounting hardware allow the mirror to be adjusted forward on the bar and still be on a straight plane?
Eric,
I haven't done a purposeful shatterproof test , but so far bumping it with my helmet, harness, etc hasn't broken it. It apears to be shatterproof....although I could call the MFG and confirm with them the materials, construction, etc

Yes, the mounting H/W allows for versatile mounting on the rollbar above the windshield. Fairly straightforward design and mounting.
If you would like, I could take a few pics and post/email them if you like.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeva;
I've got the I/O Port clamp-on - and yes, depth perception is different. My advice: use it on the street a few times in situations you're familiar with - you'll adjust quickly. I did, and now love it, but I have a friend who used it first time on the track - he took it right off, couldn't judge distances at speed. Street use will allow you to "re-calibrate." You'll like it- no blind spots at all. You can almost see your door handles!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the clamp on from I/O port also and I can't drive without it now. Yes, the rear view is a little different, but I don't really care about cars that far back. Here is a little video I took at the start of the club race on Memorial Day:

MSR CR Start

George
Old 06-06-2005, 03:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree. My track car is also my street car, so getting used to the "you can see his front license plate but you CAN NOT safely move into his lane" phenomenon was easier to get used to.

If you're putting one of these on your track car, I'd buy two, and put one on your daily driver as well. It's a net safety gain, anywhere you use it, and you'll familiarize yourself with it sooner if it's on all of your cars.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I've been using a Wink mirror for almost 15 years now. I have no issues with divided view because I position it properly. I can see EVERYTHING behind and beside me. I can see cars in my mirror AND in my periferal vision simultaneously, and I know EXACTLY how far they are away. It's great for chopping people off! The parabolic mirrors don't allow that because they distort distance.

Also, anything that big that attaches to the OE mirror with it's small "wheel base" has simply got to vibrate or move eventually. Your mirror may be tight now, but I can't imgaine I will be for long unless your car is very softly sprung.

None of the cars I've seen them in worked well at all. They either got fouled in the cage or flopped around. It's Wink and a good solid fabricated mount system for me.

The only bad thing I can say about the Wink is that eventually the plastic warps and sags from heat. I made my own multi-pane mirror this winter out of aluminum. No more warp.

Your results and opinions obviously vary.

Quick Reply: Panaramic rear-view mirror choices?