Sponsored by:

Danica?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best part of Danica's Indy debut for me was that my wife and 7 year old daughter watched and were jumping up and down cheering for her. I got to see the whole race Go Danica !!

Roger
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
She wouldn’t have finished in the top ten if she wasn’t incredibly lucky
Weren't Kimi, Coultard & Sumi "unlucky" in the European grand prix? Wasn't Alonzo just lucky with the win? It's called racing...part luck, part skill.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More often than not, "luck" is simply preparation meeting opportunity.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think she is a great driver and wish her the best of luck.

I don't mind seeing her driving a F1 car representing the USA.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:30 AM
aubreym
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 38D
Weren't Kimi, Coultard & Sumi "unlucky" in the European grand prix? Wasn't Alonzo just lucky with the win? It's called racing...part luck, part skill.
Yes, Alonzo was lucky, but his preparation did meet his opportunity. He kept himself in second place and was able to take advantage of Kimi's mistake. To paraphrase David Hobbs, Kimi's failure was self enduced. When he apparently lost concentration, locked up the front wheels before going off he created the flat spot. The flat spot caused the vibration which caused the failure. It's just racing!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmmm, let's see:

Danica - IRL 4th place finish, great sponsors, killer looks...no other way to explain a 4th place finish other than good driving.

Color Change - DE king, on his own dime, dunno about the looks

Not trying to slam you Mr. Bling King, but consider what you've posted...to accomplish what Danica has takes A LOT of skills, patience and dedication...the good looks probably don't hurt either.

I might go out on a limb to say that if you're in IRL, you've got some skills baby! I agree, I DETEST the whole "she's a woman...blah blah blah press coverage" deal, but after all, she IS a women, a hot one at that - and apparently a DAMNED GOOD driver.

Of course it's going to be constantly mentioned that she's a female, let's hope she rises above that whole "hype" ordeal and drives her *** off...OK, well, maybe not ALL of that ***!

On a related note, what an ASTOUNDING marketing tactic, (if that's what Rahal and Letterman had in mind)...they find this gorgeous chick who can drive with the best of 'em, pick her up on a sponsorship deal and get all this press - brilliant! Someone try and tell me that wasn't the brainchild of a smart marketeer?? If you're a billion $$$$$$$ corporation, aren't you going to sponsor a team like that??

DUH.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My $.02...

4th at Indy is an awsome performance regardless of the circumstances. It is harder to get fro 18th to 4th than to stay there all day and just hold it. When J Gordon (or put a name here) spins, drops to 35th and then comes back with a top 5, he's a genius... let hold everybody to a standard.

From what I've seen shes as good as anybody out there given her experience... if she'd had enough fuel, she very well could have won....

I seem to remember somebody (Roberto Guererro?) spinning off pole on the wrmup lap at Indy a few years ago and DNFing... and Nigel Mansell getting mugged by Fittipaldi on the restart and losing... so even the World Champ can make a textbook rookie mistake at Indy.

I really hope the hype around Danica brings a broader audience to open wheel racing... the CART/IRL split has to end. How great would it be to see Tracy, Bourdaise, et back and push some of the schmucks out of the bottom 3rd of the field?....

The Foyts should all hang it up...including AJ who brings nothing to the table but a beergut and a temper.... entertainment value of the dust-up with Ayrie L aside... he's as much of an embarrasment as this spawn.... IV's "accident" was inexcusable...

Finally, I seem to remember Danny Sullivan being the beneficiary/victim of plenty of beefcake hype... it was almost impossible to tell from the mainstream media coverage that the guy was actually a top racing car driver rather than a pin-up... this is not new...

Speaking of mainstream media, I have yet to see network racing coverage that doesn't insult the intelligence of my cat.... the CART coverage a few years ago with Paul Page was tolerable, but the last few years they were clearly going thorugh the motions running out their contract in the cheapest possible way....
Old 05-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Evan70
Pro

Does IRL not adjust for driver weight? Both F1 and Cart have minimum car & driver total weights, which removes any advantage from lighter drivers. You'd think the IRL would have a similar system.

As to the coverage, it was better than the CBS F1 coverage, but not by much. The only coverage that I actually enjoy is the Speed F1 crew. Those guys should be hired out to do all the major races no matter what network.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Evan70
Does IRL not adjust for driver?
No, they don't. They weigh the car only, not with driver like some other series do.

Gary
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

She was great. Fourth with everything that happened. Part of winning involves luck sometime. What gets me is all the hype aside from being a woman was she is referred to as a rookie. What is exactly the definition of a rookie here? It must mean its the first time running in the 500 because Sebastion Bourdais was also listed as a rookie. Come on.... he was CARTS champ last year. She can drive!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Rookie means that they haven't raced with IRL or the 500 before. All rookies had to go to a rookie school before they were allowed to compete. Not neccesarily that they are noobies.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

50 lbs really doesn't mean sh*t. A gallon of fuel weighs about 7 lbs, so we are talking aobut 7 gallons of fuel. Certainly if IRL balasted the cars based on total weight it would stop whiners like Robby Gordon from using things like this as an excuse for their lack of performance.... maybe Robby can explain how that extra weight forces him to hit the wall every week.... I'd like to understand the physics here.... (must be tire fade....)

BTW... Graham Hill, Jimmy CLark, Nigel Mansell, and Emmo were all "rookies"...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
BTW... Graham Hill, Jimmy CLark, Nigel Mansell, and Emmo were all "rookies"...
So was Juan Pablo Montoya when he won.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dannica is a phenomenal driver given her age and experience level. No doubt she benefits from great sponsors, epuipment and crew, but cut the gal some slack she did a helluva job driving in a 500 mile IRL race to finish in the top ten after leading late in the race. If she was just a gimmicky driver, she'd be out in no time, sorry guys she's the real deal.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

50-100lbs is good for about 1-2 mph at a place like Indy according to what I have read (Robby Gordon's Comments ).

Quick Reply: Danica?