Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danica?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That about sums it up, Lothar. Not only did she acknowledge her mistakes, she came back from what, 16th or 18th place (twice) to the lead. Nice bit of driving.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

To compare our DE events and a professional’s skills to ours is inane. I agree, the Foyt’s drives were horrendous.

My main point is not that she is not an excellent driver, I believe she IS an excellent driver, and she largely showed that. What really got to me was the media saying she had an outstanding drive. There is a difference, the driver and the drive. No one can have an “outstanding” drive with one fairly major mistake (pit stall) and a potentially cataclysmic mistake (spin under caution, and not even with an imminent restart – for which she ruined at least two other driver’s days) when they don’t do anything specifically notable (I didn’t see anything) to make up for any glaring errors.

Is she a great driver, absolutely, did she gave have a great drive … I don’t think so, a good drive for a rookie under ridiculous pressure … probably, but not a great drive.

She wouldn’t have finished in the top ten if she wasn’t incredibly lucky with the cautions. She had probably the fastest car on the track and wouldn’t have finished in the top ten. That is not a great drive. A good driver for a rookie under pressure, maybe, but not an “Outstanding!” drive at all, at least IMO.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hey CC... I suggest that you stick with your... "Bling Thing"

and leave racing comments to those with "EXPERIENCE " !!!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
aubreym
Intermediate

Anyone that finishes 4th at Indy has had an "outstanding drive".
Old 05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

She had a great drive. She also refused to bite on the female driver questions and accolades from ABC. She constantly retruned to the race she had, admitted rookie mistakes, and made a good strong run to 4th. I was impressed, my daughters were blown away.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
What really got to me was the media saying she had an outstanding drive.
60 Minutes II, Newsweek, and now ABC Sports....

My Lord that was the most irrelevant sports coverage I've heard in awhile. I didn't think anyone could sound more counterfit than Brent Mushmouth, (where's Jimmy the Greek when ya need him?), but that one announcer was really annoying and obviously didn't know a ring from a pinion. And those stupid questions during her interview, they might have well let her mother answer them......
Old 05-30-2005, 09:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

So, which coverage was worse:
A. CBS covering F1 races
B. Indy 500 coverage this past weekend.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
aubreym
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

My Lord that was the most irrelevant sports coverage I've heard in awhile. I didn't think anyone could sound more counterfit than Brent Mushmouth, (where's Jimmy the Greek when ya need him?), but that one announcer was really annoying and obviously didn't know a ring from a pinion. And those stupid questions during her interview, they might have well let her mother answer them......
Amen! The guy in the booth with Scott Goodyear well, let me put it this way..... some people don't know anything, but that guy didn't suspect anything!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
So, which coverage was worse:
A. CBS covering F1 races
B. Indy 500 coverage this past weekend.
That's a tough one - dropping Paul Page was a big mistake. One of the two new announcers sounded like some high-school kid reporting the last football game on the local cable access channel.

Danica is awesome, she did a great job. It's been 20 years since Danny's "spin and win" at the 500. When she recovered that spin, I couldn't help but wonder if it would happen again. Overall it was a good race.

It was also painfully obvious the 500 had more "filler" drivers than an average NASCAR race. I would love to see Champ Car do an all out assault on Indy next year.

The whole Foyt family needs to retire, or at least be kicked out of the IRL. Bruno Janqueira has a broken back.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

I agree, they really did not even cover her background in racing in Europe where she really did quite well. Very poorly done indeed.....
Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think there is a big difference between a great drive and a perfect drive. She had a great drive, but far from perfect. To finish ahead of drivers like Bourdais, Kannan, Franchitti, etc, etc takes a bit more than dumb luck.
Glad to see her doing well and hopefully will put some life blood into open wheel racing in the USA. The St. Pete road course race was fantastic. Really looking forward to their race at the Glen and Sears Point.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

From the rumor mill - IRL and Champ Car working on a 6 race deal - no word yet as to what car they will use.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Danica is an excellent driver who still finished 4th at the Indy 500 (regardless of how it happened). Her team will definetely be a competitor this year. I will mention though, that she has at least a 50lb advantage over the closest driver (near 100lb on some) since she weighs in around 100lbs. That is a significant difference on those cars. I also agree there was a too much of the spotlight on her for finishing 4th...I almost felt like the Andretti team was getting shorted on coverage of their victory.

Also, watching the Foyts is just depressing. They didn't seem to get any of the good genes from A.J. I will go as far to say that they are a danger out there on the course. Seems like they are always taking out 3-4 drivers with them every race. Get them out of there! Still my favorite part is when they are interviewed...honestly makes me wonder if they passed grade school!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

How much do you think the weight advantage helps her? She is 50 lbs lighter (at least!) than the average driver. How would she do with a 50 lb penalty?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 241 Posts

Agreed, it is safe to say that the Foyt family tree has no branches.

Quick Reply: Danica?