Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tow vehicles that *aren't* pickups

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:03 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does it mean when they say a truck is 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:15 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's a reflection of the suspension set-up, a carry over from pick-ups and how much weight they can carry. My 3/4 ton Suburban sits higher off the ground and has bigger wheels that the 1/2 ton.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more formal explanation.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Any fullsize van users? Those guys with the Vans are any equiped with showers and heads? What is the smallest package to get a shower and head? Pick-up and Lance camper? Ford E450 Van frame and a larger box?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:56 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
It's a reflection of the suspension set-up, a carry over from pick-ups and how much weight they can carry. My 3/4 ton Suburban sits higher off the ground and has bigger wheels that the 1/2 ton.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more formal explanation.
Heres a bit of an explanation, gleaned from my hours spent on at the dieselstop.com when I was trying to figure out if I was really going to buy a... yikes...pickup truck. Towing capacity is only one part of the equation. In fact you could have a rating to tow 8000#s and still only be able to safely (at least technically) tow 4000#. How?

The thing that you need to understand is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). The GVWR represents the total weight of the vehicle, its cargo (including passengers). A 1/2 ton loosely refers to this as the weight tof the vehicle + this figure roughly equals the GVWR.

Lets say you buy a truck with a towing capacity of 8000# and a GVWR of 7500# which after you option up with those fancy leather seats, flip down flat panels and a monster subwoofer, now weighs 6000#. You now have the ability to carry an additional 1500#. You and the missus have been working out, but the kids are growing, so as you alll pack up to go to the Glen, the combined weight of the passengers, luggage, etc is 900#. So your at 6900 of the 7500.

Your under, so no problem right? Well there one other thing here. Its the tongue weight of the trailer on the rear of the truck. Generally, tongue weight is estimated at 10-15% of the gross weight of the trailer. This can vary substantially depending on where the trailer load is positioned, type of hitch etc. You now can only tow a trailer whose total weight is in the range of 4000-6000# unless you exceed the GVWR. So your vehicle is not in fact truly capable of towing 8000# at least as you intend to use it.

Head room in the tow capacity figure relates to how well you'lll pull up hills. Head room in the GVWR is more a representation of how well the truck will handle.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Any fullsize van users? Those guys with the Vans are any equiped with showers and heads? What is the smallest package to get a shower and head? Pick-up and Lance camper? Ford E450 Van frame and a larger box?

Check these out, a racing friend of ours tows an 18' trailer and his Porsche with one: http://www.chinookrv.com/flash_site/index.html
Old 06-19-2005, 03:55 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

whew! after looking all over the place...i think i've found what im looking for:

'99 Chevy suburban 2500 2x4
its their 3/4 ton model, but carries the standard 350 v8 as the 1/2 ton models. so same engine, but beefier chassis?

anyways, was wondering if any of you guys had anything to add about 3/4 ton suburbans (which btw are near impossible to find these days) was trying to find out why theres so few of them? and if you think the difference is worth it, if any? looking to make a deal this upcoming week on the car, so your opinions do matter!

Robert
Old 06-19-2005, 06:58 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

You can buy my Saleen XP8 (Explorer XLT) off me. Tow in style.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 125 Posts

For safety, bigger is better when towing, period.

If "looking cool" isn't one of your priorities, I strongly recommend a full-size Ford Van. To get 10,000 towing, you've got to get the E-350. (And you don't want the "extended" wheelbase 15 passenger version).

These are available with a 5.4 V-8, a v-10 or the powerstroke Diesel...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...556406633&rd=1

I have a 1998 E-150 with the 5.4, tows 7000 pounds, bought it new, it's now got 100K miles, and still drives like new.....
Old 06-19-2005, 12:42 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

thanks guys...but, i've been looking at my options and i've narrowed it down to a suburban. right now i'll be towing on an open trailer, so i don't need some enormous truck hauler i appreciate the offers on the cars but i've found what i want, im looking for feedback on that. now, if you guys have a cheap open trailer for sale....
Old 06-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2500 has heavier chassis, brakes, hubs, wheels & tires normally. All good things. The 2x4 wouldn't sell up in this area, but they are likely more common down your way. The engine should be fine for the open trailer. If you like the vehicle and the price....your done!

There is a used steel trailer on our Region's website, but I don't know the trailer. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:34 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

alright, found two possible candidates in the area.

both are '99s, both 2500 (3/4ton) suburbans. one is 2x4 with cloth interior, the other is 4x4 with leather. both have comparable milage. 2x4 is lighter...but i wanted leather in mine. on the other hand i hear the 4x4 model suburbans cause problems down the road when towing. any users wanna chime in?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

ok..well....i got it!

'99 Suburban 2500 RWD, about 100k miles on it. high i know, but it runs smooth and the interior looks like its brand new. i'm opting for the open trailer instead, so towing the car wont be a problem compared to the heavier enclosed.

question: how do you lock your car/trailer down when its not hitched to the tow car? (ie what keeps ppl from hooking their truck up and driving off with your trailer)

also...Atlanta area folks, where do you store your trailers? know of a cheap rv/trailer storage site? thanks

Robert
Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You buy a cap that locks over the receptical for the ball (like this) and a sleeve lock (like this). You need the "cap" so they can't slip a small ball in to tow it away to where they can take their time removing any other locks. I considered something through the wheels too, but decided against it.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
Lets say you buy a truck with a towing capacity of 8000# and a GVWR of 7500# which after you option up with those fancy leather seats, flip down flat panels and a monster subwoofer, now weighs 6000#. You now have the ability to carry an additional 1500#.
So is this where they get the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton label from?

Originally Posted by RJay
Tow vehicles that are not pickups and don't have huge diesel engines with pistons the size of my massive biceps are for gurly men
Yeah? And so is your little F-250! Let me know when you get a real truck and we'll talk .
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
ok..well....i got it!

Robert
Congratulations and good luck with you new tow vehicle. If it has been well maintained, wory about the miles in about another 100k.

Quick Reply: tow vehicles that *aren't* pickups