tow vehicles that *aren't* pickups

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Yes, the V6 is rated the same as a V8 is rated the same as a TT V8 Cayenne....however, you have to ask yourself how well a V6 will tow 7600# comapred to a TTV8. Can you say avoid hills?
There is something else about the vehicle limitting towing capacity, which is NOT based solely upon the engine power. Another big consideration is brakes. The rest of the drivetrain and the chassis/suspension also come into consideration. That is why a 3/4 ton pickup can have a higher towing capacity then a 1/2 ton pickup with the same engine.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:50 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have towed with my friend's gas v10 excursion, and it feels great. He wanted the diesel, but got a great deal on the triton v10, so he went with it. I have even used my ex-land rover discovery, and that did better than I had expected. These vehicles were pulling a car on an open steel trailer.

Last edited by TRWright; 05-27-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow with a Nissan Armada LE, it tows 9,100 lbs. and the drivetrain is incredible-- smooth, refined, and very Lexus-like. Big aluminum block V-8, load-levelling air suspension, decent leather int., etc., etc. A zillion times better than my Tahoe for towing. I drive it to work occasionally, no probs.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt...s_02_copy1.jpg

Lee in D.C.
'04 GT3 RS Clone
Old 05-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

I tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban. Not much to add to this thread regarding that.

However, have you considered a van? I haven't scoured the thread to see if it's been mentioned, but full size vans with V8's have some great towing capacities. You may want to look into that if you're considering all solutions
Old 05-27-2005, 05:41 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

People I know who tow with vans swear by them. Lots of room and relatively good value as they are not as popular as SUVs. Most of these racers have faced the same 95% street, 5% tow issue mentioned here and bought the van as a dedicated tow vehicle. I think Ford makes a tacked-out conversion van good for 10,000#. Makes sense if you have a place to put it.

The buffed up Durango is impressive. A friend tows a 40' travel trailer with the 8,900# capacity version with no complaints.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
There is something else about the vehicle limitting towing capacity, which is NOT based solely upon the engine power. Another big consideration is brakes. The rest of the drivetrain and the chassis/suspension also come into consideration. That is why a 3/4 ton pickup can have a higher towing capacity then a 1/2 ton pickup with the same engine.
Agreed. Interesting that the Cayenne brakes are the same, except for paint (black, silver or red).
Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Assuming you are including torque with engine power, alot of the vehicles towing capability is in the type of frame or chassis the is used. Big box frames like in the pickup trucks can tow several tons b/c of their beefy chassis. While a small SUV may have more hp than some of the trucks, most are based on a car or station wagon chassis that can't handle the weight and pull of a huge trailer.

I was surprised to see the new LR3 can tow 7700 #s.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed. Interesting that the Cayenne brakes are the same, except for paint (black, silver or red).
And, how much does calliper paint cost????
Old 05-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Since, I like many would use the tow vehicle more for general use then for towing. How about posting the non-towing mpg as well. I saw both the Nissan and the Toureg towing mpg, but not the non-towing numbers. Currently we have an Escalade which I have never used for towing which gets 15-17 on the highway. We keep accurate records of every fill-up. I shudder to think what it would get with a loaded trailer behind it. The Escalade will probably not be available for towing by the time I get a trailer and I will need to consider something else more appropriately sized. Required to haul four people in comfort on occasion in addition to occasional weekend towing. 10 MPG would be pretty dreadful for a daily driver.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:45 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Since, I like many would use the tow vehicle more for general use then for towing. How about posting the non-towing mpg as well. I saw both the Nissan and the Toureg towing mpg, but not the non-towing numbers. Currently we have an Escalade which I have never used for towing which gets 15-17 on the highway. We keep accurate records of every fill-up. I shudder to think what it would get with a loaded trailer behind it. The Escalade will probably not be available for towing by the time I get a trailer and I will need to consider something else more appropriately sized. Required to haul four people in comfort on occasion in addition to occasional weekend towing. 10 MPG would be pretty dreadful for a daily driver.
I mentioned it earlier, but my Excursion diesel gets 19-20 mpg highway, 15 mpg around town, and 8-10 towing a 20' box (maybe 7000# all loaded).

I believe the newer models with smaller but more powerful engines and 5 speed trannies do better. A friend gets 15-17mpg with his towing an open Trailex carrying a Boxster S.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:35 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

RWD or AWD? while researching suburbans (starting to look like the strongest tow SUV) i noticed the RWD models have higher towing capacities than the AWD versions...shouldnt an AWD car be able to tow more because it has more traction? am i a hazzard if i tow an enclosed trailer with a RWD suburban?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Usually, a 4wd version of a vehicle is rated slightly lower than the 2wd version simply because the 4wd is heavier. The extra weight eats up some of the max combined weight of the tow rig and loaded trailer. It has nothing to do with "traction" or pulling power.

Pulling power is one factor of the tow rating of a vehicle, but has little to do with safety in towing. Think about weight, chassis, and brakes when picking a tow vehicle. Power and fuel mileage are secondary issues.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is 4 wheel drive and rated for 11,000 lbs. I pull 10,000 with no problem. My last one was 4 wheel drive as well. You need to get the 4.10 gear and 3/4 ton and 8.1 liter in the GMC/Chev to tow that much. I also have autoride...

Norm
Old 05-29-2005, 10:33 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by penguinking
looking for a good used tow vehicle that is an SUV, not a pickup. here's what i have so far: car weights 3000lbs. trailer weighs 3200lbs. plus extra gear and tools weigh around another 500lbs. so thats about 7000lbs i'll need to tow. most SUV's i've seen (tahoe/suburban) tow 7000lbs MAX. but i havnt found another SUV short of an Excursion that can tow just as much. ideas guys?
The GMC Yukon Denali in either XL or not will tow 8000 lbs without issue.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
The GMC Yukon Denali in either XL or not will tow 8000 lbs without issue.
I'd agree with that. I tow about ~5500-6000 lbs with mine and there are times where I have spun the front tires under hard acceleration. It's a little unsettling as the truck suddenly veers in another direction, but a quick lift and then a little easier on the gas straightens it out.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: tow vehicles that *aren't* pickups