Sponsored by:

944 Tow hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Tow hooks?

Any source for pre-fabbed tow eyes to fit 944 n/a bumpers? I've seen a lot of custom made - anyone make a good bolt-in solution?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used large eyebolts from home depot. Drilled a hole in the bumper and attached.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you mean on the rear bumper. Check out the pic below. The strap is looped around the rear bumper support and zip tied together. See pass. side rear. The hook is a wheel strap. While I have not had to use this method of being removed from the track, I have seen this set up used on many local 944's
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2005, 04:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are referring to tow hooks for trailer tie downs, I would suggest these:
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...44tiedowns.jpg
Old 05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Lewis,
I was told by Racers Edge not to use the tie down hooks like Autometrics sells with Ledas (I would imagine that same would go for JRZ's, Motons etc) as the thickness of the tie downs move the shock too far out or dont leave enough bolt to properly secure the shock (I forget what the exact reason was)

I assumed that the orginal poster was looking for "pull you out of the kitty litter" tow hooks
Old 05-25-2005, 04:16 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes -"pull you off the beach" is what I'm after. Eric, your solution is nice- any close-up pics? Thanks,
Alan
Old 05-25-2005, 05:14 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
snip
not to use the tie down hooks like Autometrics sells with Ledas (I would imagine that same would go for JRZ's, Motons etc) as the thickness of the tie downs move the shock too far out or dont leave enough bolt to properly secure the shock (I forget what the exact reason was)
Oddly, I found I had to use the tow eye to get adequate spacing between the spring hat and the banana arm on my Motons. I did use a longer bolt to ensure I had enough thread in the arm.

Eric, I'm also interested in your strap method. Detailed picks would be appreciated. I quickly put a muffler U-bolt through my bumper backed by a long piece of aluminum plate to satisfy the scruts, but I'm not sure it would hold up if I were really stuck...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

I dont have access to my camera right now. Lie on your back and look up at the rear bumper from below, on each side there is a bumper brace/shock that attaches to the frame of the car on the inside and the metal bumper frame on the outside (behind the bumper cover). The webbing material is the thru the wheel strap that many trailer shops sell. It takes about 2 min. to loop the tie down strap over the bumper brace/shock and zip tie the metal ends of the strap together. It is that easy!! From below you can see the space between the bumper cover and the body of the car, probaly about 4 inches wide along the length of the bumper cover.
Another idea I had was to get a length of thick metal stock and drill out a 2 inch hole and 3 holes on the other end. If you look up under the car maybe about a foot and a half in from the rear bumper behind the rear wheels,(in the recess that is on each side of the trunk area) there are 3 bolt holes that are covered with undercoat sealant. These holes are threaded (once you pull the sealant out). One could take the metal bar, bolt it into these holes with the proper lenght sticking down to clear the body work and you would have a pretty sturdy tow hook attachment point. When you look at your car, pull up the carpet that covers the rear deck and stick you hand down into the space (well) on either side and you can feel the 3 holes (triangle layout). I did not have access to metal stock and took the easy way out with the strap.

Quick Reply: 944 Tow hooks?