Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:49 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putnam Park - Worth the Haul?

Hey All;

Contemplating a drag to Putnam in September. It's about 750 miles and 11-12 hours for me. Hooboy. And yet it will give me the chance to visit my birthstate and some of my relatives. Grandma - who lives in Greentown - is 94, don't you know. Also, to meet some of you earnest Middle America Porsche Pushers.

Looking for comments regarding whether those in the know think it will be worth the effort? I'm very nuch into the entire "round" experience of landscape, history, tradition, and so on. As such I do not make any room in my schedule for the Roval or kart track thing. I like road courses of charismatic value as much as technical challenge.

So, for those of you who have experienced places like Mid-O, Watkins, Mopsort, VIR, etc... is it worth having a go?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a long haul for Putman... It is a very nice track with little night life (think 1/4 of Mid Ohio type fun) but the region puts on BBQ's in the evenings and they usually have to kick us out we have so much fun! It is a small, fast track. My guess is your thinking of the club race/DE weekend. The event is outstanding and put on by a great region. The Top Gun race is a blast (even to watch) Carsten, local PCA'er does the play by play and makes the weekend very enjoyable. The track is pretty straight forward, not technical like MO. If you can make a 3 day weekend out of your trip that may make the drive worth it. Lots of fast water pumpers in the Midwest, I think you would enjoy the event
Old 04-28-2005, 02:25 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Almost 2 years ago Robert H and I towed from Houston ( 1100+) to Putnam. IMO great and safe track but most importantly the Rennlisters that race there make the difference. If my car was whole I would do the tow again this Summer
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to say as Putnam is not nearly the destination that some of the big named tracks are. But for racing fun it is a good place to go. Nice run off almost everywhere, track has plenty of room to race, Central Indiana puts on a good race and enduro in Sept. Ohio Valley does a sprint and a reverse grid race in July. Both are well subscribed but not like what you would see at The Glen or Road Atlanta. Are you planning on racing in "I"? There are some good racers in that class there most of the time.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 04-28-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Putnam. Small, fast, safe fun track.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
I love Putnam. Small, fast, safe fun track.
Finally! A new avatar!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Redline Man

It's a fun track. Eric's avbatar is da boat of us at turn 10. I think that was the lap where I proved once and for all that I am .002 seconds faster than him.

I have a family conflict for the Sat of that Sept weekend, but like the event to such an extent that I'm considering going down for Friday, locking up the trailer for Sat and then starting at the back for Sunday.

As Greg mentioned, it's not like Atlanta or the Glen (or Road America or Sebring...) the atmosphere is much more laid back and relaxed. A whole different kind of fun.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:04 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
the atmosphere is much more laid back and relaxed. A whole different kind of fun.
That's one way of putting it, Mike. The other is that it's located in the middle of a corn field! I think most people forget about that after their first visit.

Field of Dreams layout aside, I certainly enjoyed running there for the first time last Fall and plan to return a few times this year. I'm signed up for the May NASA race and will be back with either PCA or NASA later on.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I just ran there for the first time (I've done several other tracks) and I really enjoyed it. It's just 1.77 miles but entertaining. Not too difficult to learn the lines really; it's certainly not like Gingerman. I'd like to go back at some point but 4 hrs is a long drive. Just remember to bring your own entertainment for afterwards.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

That would be great if you could make it there John. I hope to head out there a few times this summer and possibly the Sept DE. I could give you a hand in race support if you would like. Either way it would fun to meet up with you after talking to you a number times online.

Oh yeah, I don't have the experience the rest of these guys do so I can't really compare it to those other tracks.

Max
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh...

I would be DE-ing only, as I am not a racer... I was going to type "yet," but... "I" class? Hah! The old hack is WAY past being in stock class!! Anyway, I don't even know what event it was, as it was suggested by Tifosiman that I should come out. Guess I should look into it some more.

Bucolic? Entertainment ya say? I'm a bit too mature and sophisticated to get into any bar scene crap. The best entertainment to me is hanging with track folks under the stars with a cold brew of uncertain pronunciation, a fine cigar... say a Churchill, and bench racing my brains out.

THAT'S entertainment.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

11-12 hours huh. Putnam is a fun track but I wouldn't drive that long to get to. I live 5 hrs away and don't go all to often. I would drive 11+ hrs for tracks such as Mid-O, Watkins, VIR, etc, but Putnam is more of a club track like Beaverun and I don't think its worth the haul IMHO.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I love Putnam Park, its definitely not a top tier track like Mid Ohio, or Watkins Glen. Its definietely a second tier, club type track. However, as club tracks go, its first rate. Its much better IMO than other club tracks like CMP, BeaveRun, Gingerman, etc. You would be guaranteed to have a fun weekend there, but only you can decide if its worth an 11 hour tow. Fortunately, its less than 3 hours away from me.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:54 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW, I totally agree with Skip and Jim that's it's purely a 2nd tier track. I'd drive 11 hrs for Mid-OH but not Putnam, but that's just me.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Oh...

Bucolic? Entertainment ya say? I'm a bit too mature and sophisticated to get into any bar scene crap. The best entertainment to me is hanging with track folks under the stars with a cold brew of uncertain pronunciation, a fine cigar... say a Churchill, and bench racing my brains out.

THAT'S entertainment.
that's Putnam.

Quick Reply: Putnam Park - Worth the Haul?