Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement - 30 lbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005 | 09:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
See Honda and their involvement in F1 to reinforce that point. Their young engineers are "strongly encouraged" to cycle through the F1 program.
I guess that is why they have all the Honduh motors get "Dun blowed up" It gives all the newbees something to tinker on.
Old 04-22-2005 | 10:12 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=ColorChange]Z-man, glad to hear that you would pass it if it looked OK. If you were to try to fail me at tech for this, I would offer you 20 seconds with a 12" screwdriver to pry the battery loose. If you couldn't do it, you would owe me $100 and pass me. If you did it, I would replace the stock battery. If you declined the bet and still tried to fail me, then we would have a serious problem. Is that fair?

Hhmmmm, Gotta luv CC's postings !!! They tend to degrade from page to page!

This post started out so innocently, asking for opinions regarding a modification.

IMO... most Club Tech guys will work thru problems that are possible to fix, in order to get students onto the track! Being a D E Event, these guys are responsible to check/tech cars both for the driver's safety and the other drivers who also share the track. If they were to err, ( I have never seen an occurance), I hope it's on the side of caution!
Old 04-22-2005 | 11:13 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

My point is, if one of the best Porsche mechanics in the country (fully approved by PCA, won almost every PCA race and many pro races with his cars, etc., etc., etc.) says it's fine, and I demonstrate it cant' be loosened or removed with unreasonable force, and I'm still being held out, I would have a problem. It doesn't sound to me like Z-man would do this.
Old 04-22-2005 | 12:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by ColorChange
My point is, if one of the best Porsche mechanics in the country (fully approved by PCA, won almost every PCA race and many pro races with his cars, etc., etc., etc.) says it's fine, and I demonstrate it cant' be loosened or removed with unreasonable force, and I'm still being held out, I would have a problem. It doesn't sound to me like Z-man would do this.
Absolutely, Tim. If all the bases were covered in the conversion, you'd pass tech.

Tech is NOT about failing people and preventing them from driving on track - tech is all about ensuring that everyone is safe out there. Look at it this way - if someone fails tech - they have the opportunity to fix the problem prior to going out on the track. Better that than going out there and experiencing a mechanical issue and having to be towed in! Preventative measures are always better than 'after the fact' fixes! Better to miss half a run fixing something caught by tech than miss the weekend due to an upclose visit to a guardrail!

This is DE we're talking about - the prize at the end of the day is that you get to take your car home in one piece. And while the tech workers do their best to ensure the car is safe and sound, it is ultimately the driver's responsibility to minimize the risk while out there.

-Z.
Old 04-22-2005 | 01:00 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

QUOTE=Z-man]
the prize at the end of the day is that you get to take your car home in one piece. And while the tech workers do their best to ensure the car is safe and sound, it is ultimately the driver's responsibility to minimize the risk while out there.

-Z.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. Tim I think you are trying to make something where something is not. Now go mod something and leave us techies alone! (or we will fail you for motor is too clean or something)

This is little more than a hypothec case and not based on sound multipoint data. As to you basic question. Yes, a tech inspector or Tech chair could be capricious but in practice this seems not to be the case. There are exceptions to anything other than most of Mr. Newton’s laws but it sounds like they are few and far between with regards to Tech. If a Tech chair was a royal ***** and denied someone access with little basis I bet driver would head right to the DE chair and get him/her involved. If the case were an egregious error on the part of the inspector the DE chair would deal with the Techie. Checks and balance.
Old 04-22-2005 | 01:04 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Sounds good Kurt. No problems here.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - 30 lbs