My Hans devise attacked me again & Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My Hans devise attacked me again & Dunlops

I have a hans devise without the new wings on it. I wore it at Sebring CR for the first time during the enduro. After 5 laps or so my shoulder belts loosened up slightly and one belt slipped under the devise. Now as you drive the HANS devise starts twisting pushing your helmet down.

Yesterday I was testing my Dunlop slick move from DOT's and again wore the HANS. This time I was very careful to make sure I had it centered and the straps positioned properly and tight. Same thing happened. Belt slipped under the devise. Any advise? Hans Secrets?

I practiced on Hoosiers for 2 half hour sessions. Switched to fresh Dunlop slicks and went back out. Absolutely night and day. No wonder those 2R guys blew by us 2S people. Its the tires!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Bill - could your shoulder straps be mounted too wide? Could you narrow them?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:42 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill
Generally when customers complain that the shoulder belts keep sliding off of the HANS device it is because the shoulder belts are anchored too far apart. Try moving the belts closer together where they wrap around the rollcage. You will also want to set your shoulder belts so that when you pull the shoulders tight the adjuster is below the device. You do not want the adjuster to be resting on the device.
When i first started using the HANS in my own car I had to relengthen (is that a word?) the belts so that the adjuster was below the device. Once I did that it took about 15 laps at Summit Point and some repositioning of the mirrors and I was all set.

If you still have questions please feel free to contact me. If you are racing at Summit Point this weekend I will be paddocked right next to our store there.
cheers
Dave Parker
Manager OG Racing
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jack & Dave. I thought about the strap angle but since they exit the recaro seat holes they seemed pre determined. I will look at it closer. The buckles are low. I noticed Farnbacher had thumb loops in the should strap so the driver could snug them up with one hand while on a straight.

Dave, I am racing during the MARRS event. I will be with the GT Performance group. I will look you up!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill:

How much time were you able to shave off of your lap times between the Hoosiers and the Dunlops?

Brian
Old 04-19-2005, 05:15 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill walczak
Thanks Jack & Dave. I thought about the strap angle but since they exit the recaro seat holes they seemed pre determined. I will look at it closer. The buckles are low. I noticed Farnbacher had thumb loops in the should strap so the driver could snug them up with one hand while on a straight.
I seem to recall reading somewhere about crossing the shoulder straps. Went back to my Hans manual and found nothing about this. Generically this seems like a bad idea to me, but I could swear something I read suggested that if you couldn't get the straps close enough, the next best thing was to cross them. Can't seem to find the reference though. Anyone else see anything along these lines?
Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/06_...lder_Belts.pdf
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian,

I did not have timing equipment yesterday but the race is this weekend so the time will be carved in stone. 1:22 was my fastest DOT laps last year. The car is 250# lighter on slicks... I should drop .0005 seconds ;->

The difference between the Hoosiers and the slicks was huge. Driving on the slicks the time between each input point was so quick I was exhausted after 30 minutes on the track. I was trying to exit the carousel just a tiny bit faster each lap but never found the tires limit. 6th gear at the end of the straight which never happened on the DOT's. The slicks are around 2" larger diameter. The grip is crazy.

Chances are high for a wet track this weekend so the slicks may stay in the trailer.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, 3" shoulder belts never looked quite right sitting on a HANS device, even with the different "friction surfaces" that have been used.

I know that Ryan Newman uses a sternum strap to help control shoulder belt alignment and spacing; the strap just has to be low enough (at or below base of the HANS) so as not be an issue in an impact event

The "wings" (which were ironically on the original HANS drawings and devices)and 2"-3" Schroth HANS specific harnesses look a bit better.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Bill, are the harnesses mounted too low now? The HANS raises the contact point on the shoulder up ~1". This may put the harness bar attachment point too low causing the harness to want to work to the side.

This is what happened when I started using mine. I removed the seat cushion to lower my body a little and the straps no longer work off. Plus, I started keeping them REAL tight...

You can download the owner's manual from the hansdevice.com website if you haven't already. It shows recommended belt angles.

BTW, I didn't see anything in the latest manual that mentions crossing the belts behind the seat.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:42 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep! Thats where I saw that. This brings up another point. You didn't say whose belts you are using. If you're running 3" shoulder belts, you porobably should consider switching over to the Schroths, you might be better off getting the 2"/3" Hans specific Shoulder belts.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I use Schroth Hybrid II 6 point Titanium belts.
3" shoulder, 2" lap, Hybrid sub/lap belt mounting. Extremely comfortable. These replaced my 6 pt TeamTech Rampac harness.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also using Schroth Hybrid II 6 point belts. I need to check the belt angles again. I am pretty sure they are horizontal.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just me or do more people have more "problems" getting their Hans right than other H&N restraints?

I use the Isaac H&N and other than getting used to it, it was a snap.

Any thoughts?

BTW. You know what they say about slicks..... Once you try them, you'll never go back....
Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
brucegre
Banned

Bill, I told you slicks were worse than drugs, didn't I? Drive 'em hard, just watch that first corner in the race before they're warmed up.
Good luck on the weekend.

Bruce

Quick Reply: My Hans devise attacked me again & Dunlops