Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Schroth hybrid sub strap comfort

After 2 events at Lime Rock, I can't find the words to describe how comfortable the Schroth Hybrid sub belt mounting design actually is.

I purchased a 6 point, 2" lap belt, Hybrid in Titanium (which replaced my beloved TeamTech Rampac 6 point). I can't imagine ever going to back to anything other than a Hybrid lap belt system. No T bar or any hardware pressing against you, fits perfectly up against the insides of your thighs, you don't even know it's there.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Lewis - Thanks for the report. I will need belts again later this year and have been running the Schroth 6-points with the t-bar. I am leaning towards trying the Hybrid next time. Mind if I ask what kind of seat and sizing you're running? By way of reference, I am snugged down into a Recaro SPG at about 160 pounds.

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-10-2005, 07:12 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am exceedingly torn;

Thanks Lew! I fully understand the benefit of the Hybrid setup, but it is also limiting it seems to me. You cannot get them with flexi-belt, which I see as a big limiting factor in how easy it will be to optimize them. I really do want to get the 2/3 Hans shoulders, but there does not seem to be a lot of cinch range adjustment to them either. You would not be able to accomodate different drivers with the same shoulder belt settings.

I also like the 2" lap belt, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger, not so much for the price but for the sewn in terminals. I happen to be one of the people that have a hard time using the lap belt seat holes because the cinchs end up too close to them and limit how tight I can get the lap.

Did anyone ever mention that this stuff isn't easy to optimize? It really is no wonder their are so many dubious installs out there.

By the by, Lew; what angle did you achieve on your subs, where did you mount them, and how did you get them through your seat?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
Mind if I ask what kind of seat and sizing you're running? By way of reference, I am snugged down into a Recaro SPG at about 160 pounds. Thanks in advance,
Dave,
I am running a Recaro ProRacer SPG XL:
http://www.polepositionusa.com/site/...5DD57CDEAE5A07
(I'm sure XL is German for lard ***, as I'm 6', 210 lbs).
Old 04-11-2005, 09:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
By the by, Lew; what angle did you achieve on your subs, where did you mount them, and how did you get them through your seat?
John,
I deferred to Porsche/Weissach and used the factory mounting points which were already welded into the tub. Laps terminated under the seat individually.
They appear to be well within the recommended angles listed by Schroth (can't find the .pdf right now)
If you like, I could go out and measure anything that might be of interest to you or even take a photo or two.

The ProRacer SPG (XL....re: lard ***) is 4 (don't know who uses 4 points), 5 and 6 pt compatible and is factory issue seat for Cup cars IIRC. The slot in the shell and padding seems to line up quite nicely.

The 2-3" HANS compatibility and cinching concerns you described were not a factor for me, as I won't be running a HANS.

As for the sewn in terminals, I ended up just trusting/believing that Schroth knows more about this than I could learn/research. The laps are pull up and so far I have been able to adjust the laps OK.

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Did anyone ever mention that this stuff isn't easy to optimize? It really is no wonder their are so many dubious installs out there.
You are correct, everything about driver safety (H&N, seats, harnesses, driver size, position, etc) is a multivariable equation which seems to have no single optimum solution; rather a range of acceptable solutions, none of which is ideal for all cases.

I did see a driver at LRP running a HANS device where the belt angles/seat slots were WELL outside any recommended values I have yet seen. It just looked wrong and spinal compression was an immediate concern to me. He also seemed to have difficulty in getting the 3" shoulder belts to stay on the HANS.

As has been stated previously, if I 'screw the pooch' regarding my safety equipment choices/installations, the only person who will be affected is myself and not my fellow drivers.
For now, I do feel comfortable with what I've chosen and done, but it does appear to be a continuous learning process. However, I am grateful that a forum such as this exists where ideas and information can be exchanged in an open manner.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Lewis - Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear. I'll be replacing my belts later this year and was considering the hybrids.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:41 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
Lewis - Thanks for the report. I will need belts again later this year and have been running the Schroth 6-points with the t-bar. I am leaning towards trying the Hybrid next time. Mind if I ask what kind of seat and sizing you're running? By way of reference, I am snugged down into a Recaro SPG at about 160 pounds.

Thanks in advance,
Digging up an old thread here. Dave, did you get the hybrid harnesses? I am going to install a Recaro SPG seat and new harnesses over the winter and I'm looking at the Schroth Hybrid II. I'm 6.0' and 165lbs, so it sounds your setup is similar to what I want to do.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For what it's worth, I have the Hybrid II on GT3 seats. I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. Fits great. Much larger instructors also seem to like the Hybrid in my car, but can find the GT3 seat too narrow.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

No, I actually bought a set of Sabelt 6-points (conventional sub-straps) as I became aware of my belts being out of date about 2 days before my rookie club race (doh!).

I would like to try them, but for now I am kinda stuck. Even with the sub-belt hole, the sub strap is precariously placed (if you know what I mean).

Better planning next time.

Quick Reply: Schroth hybrid sub strap comfort