Sponsored by:

Steel sleeves

Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Tech
Perhaps you just didn't read the post properly- (no flame intended), but i said cross drilled, not KNIFE EDGED.
Yeah but perhaps you didn't read the PCA Club Racing rules properly. No internal modifications of the engine, none, zip, nada, even if there is no performance advantage. It clearly states that if it isn't listed, it can't be done. Personally, I would not want to miss an opportunity to make the engine more reliable when I had it apart either, but rules is rules. Just don't ask me if my old Carrera motor was rebuilt absolutely stock, of course it was.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I found a stock S2 block.
Thanks,
Gregg
Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

On the idea of impregnating the bore with silicon with felt pads, I don't think it is going to happen. The 'Silicium' which is German for silicon will remove flowed aluminum from the surface. The realatively soft aluminum would partialy cover some of the free silicon in the matrix after machining. It is somewhat like a vibramet polish. The silicium polish leaves the harder free silicon particles in relief.

I have a hard time believing that one could force silicon with felt into the substrate in any quantity that would adhere in a combustion chamber. On the other hand silicon will disolve in aluminum at about 1300F even though silicon melts at a much higher temperature. That silicon is fully trapped in the eutectic phase.

Just looking at the technical side.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
I found a stock S2 block.
Thanks,
Gregg
How much you want for the old block ?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

It is already gone !
Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche Tech
Perhaps you just didn't read the post properly- (no flame intended), but i said cross drilled, not KNIFE EDGED. There is no weight change to the crank. It is strictly for improved oiling to the rod journals for durability issues. An additional oil hole is drilled in the rod journals along with eyebrowing the hole to allow for better oil flow out of the holes. There is NO performance benefit. The benefit lies in not throwing a rod through the engine block.
And perhaps you didn't read the rules correctly. I know what cross-deilled is. It doesn't matter one iota that it didn't change the weight of the crank and/or that it's for better oiling. It's still very much illegal. Performance benefit is not a criteria for determining legality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel sleeves