Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should PCA adopt a Power to Weight Classification System?
Yes, for GT Classes
17.78%
Yes, for all classes including stock
33.33%
No, keep the status quo.
35.56%
Don't know, don't care
2.22%
Doesn't matter dude, either way I''ll kick your butt
11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Does GTS have it right and PCA wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:23 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Dal, I would flog you but I am too fat and easily winded to pick up the rubber hose
Old 03-21-2005, 01:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Botom line you have to differentiate "RACING" from "WINNING".

PCA rules let you race a stock street car. If you want to win, start spending money time and effort.

Under any set of rules the guys who win are the guys that put the most resource into it. No set of rules is going to change that.

IF you decide to do PCA racing it isn;t too hard to look at the results and figure out which cars are competitive, and which mods have impact. Don't take a genious to figure out an SC coupe is the car to run in G-Stock.

IF the goal is to win, then it doesn't matter whether the rules make sense.... al that matters is how to maximize the car within that set of rules.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to JCP911s' thoughts: A "well prepared" SC coupe is the car in G stock. "Well Prepared" is probably defined as running to the limit of the rules, and well into the grey area of "open to interpretation".
Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO here's where the money gets spend in the stock classes. From somebody without any money... looking in.....

Money no object racer of say an SC coupe could to the following without being in the "grey area" of the rules. In rough order of how much benefit this gives you (1-10) my guess is:

1. Max out the suspension with top notch parts and adjustable shocks (10)

2. Balance and blueprint a stock engine. Optimize the exhaust system (6)

3. Strengthen the tub with extra welds, bracing etc. (4)

4. Rebuild the brakes to perfection. (4)

5. Reduce weight to maximum extent of the rules and rebalast to move weight lower and forward. (2)

But the real money gets spent in development and tires...... trying 10 diffrerent spring/swaybar and shock combinations. Optimizing suspension alighnment and tire pressures. Tuning the car for each track. Having a paid crew to help each weekend. Using brand new bedded brake pads each weekend. Using 1-2 heat cycle tires only.

It is not in the slightest bit illegal to use two sets of sticker Hoosiers each weekend. But it is expensive and also a significant advantage....

if the drivers are equal of course.... I still think the driver is still the most important part of the equationas the PCA level.

I still thin

Quick Reply: Does GTS have it right and PCA wrong?